Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Finding more issues with new rig

We love our 2009 3455SA, however, we are finding more issues that need to be resolved prior to us taking off in October to fulltime travel. We have been living in the rig since purchase in March.

The black water valve has a small leak after dumping (yuk!). Another piece of moulding is falling off around the bedroom closet. The rod is pulling loose in the bedroom closet. Also, we tried out the air mattress in the sofa. Within 10 minutes all air is out and we have a flat mattress.

We had taken the rig back once (92 miles each way) a few weeks after taking possession for other issues they resolved. So, here we go again. Rig goes back to dealer in September for a few days. They tell us if they can not fix mattress they will have to order one and we will have to come back again. We asked if new mattress could be installed at another dealer. Was told no. Is this usual? All warrantly work has to be done at original dealer? I am certain we are NOT the only people who buy a new rig and then travel fulltime.

Phyllis

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Reference the mattress, why don't you just remove the mattress from the back of the couch and take it to the dealer. That way they can just do a one for one swap with the supplier and when it comes in, you can just get the new one. This saves pulling the rig in as well. As for the black tank leak. Where is the leak? Is it leaking when you take the cap off to put your hose on? Reason I'm asking is because even after you shut off the gray and black lines, there is space between the end of that pipe and the cap. What I do is add an additional shut off valve on the end where the normal sewer hose attaches. This way I control any gray or black matter that may be in the pipe after I shut the valve off. The major benefit to this additional shut off valve is it brings the whole valve closer to the side of the rig and you won't have to reach as far under the rig to attach your hose. Here is an example of the valve I tried to describe: http://www.tweetys.com/twistonwastevalve3.aspx
Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Air mattress - this happened to me the first time we used it....I discovered I didn't have the valve on the end of the mattress closed properly. Once I closed it....it had no leaks!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We use the 3" additional shut off valve as Tim described, traps any sewage that remains in between the dump tank valve and the hose connection. We also always hold back the shower/bathroom water, dump black water then dump shower water after to flush system/hoses of all black water.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
You are correct Phyllis.. You do not have to have things fixed at your dealer only. We only had our new Big Sky for three days before we were on the road again. We just pick a place that we know we will be for a few days ahead of time, call the dealer and tell them what we need done. They will call Keystone for the OK and have the parts when you arrive if you are lucky. The only problem we have found is that a a busy dealer, they take care of their customers first (which is as it should be in my opinion) and fit you in during their down time..

We are in our fifth year as full timers and rarely have we been near our dealer when we needed something fixed.

I'm with Steve on the air mattress. Check both the top and bottom valves closely. If it deflates that fast it sounds like that is where the air is coming from.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is good to find those problems now.Use it as hard as you can and wring those problems out.you will get good advise here.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
The only reason I bought my Monatna from the selling dealer was the price.Their service department is hopeless.I knew this going in.Had NO problem taking it to another dealer to do warrenty work.They welcomed my bussiness.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not had that dealer problem when on the road..However.... We always call Keystone, Team Montaa first and let them pave the way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #9
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I have taken my Monty to two other dealers other than the one I purchased mine from while traveling. They had no problem with doing work that was covered under Warranty
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

We use the 3" additional shut off valve as Tim described, traps any sewage that remains in between the dump tank valve and the hose connection. We also always hold back the shower/bathroom water, dump black water then dump shower water after to flush system/hoses of all black water.
How do you keep it in place? Did you find some way to lock it on? I had one on mine and lost it going down the road.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

For the twist on valves, some people use a large hose clamp to secure it.

Me, I just went ahead and put a permanent valve on, so I wouldn't have to mess with it anymore. It is fairly simple to do.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Thanks so much for the replies. I will pass the info on to Leonard.

Phyllis
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Chuckle, chuckle with my story.
Our 3400RL had the self inflating air mattress. I was snoring loudly so DW sets up the air matress. I got up in the morning to find her sleeping on the floor in the LR. I asked what happened and she said she inflated the air matress 2 or 3 times and it would not hold air. I opened it up and checked and the exhaust valve on the foot of the mattress was not screwed on tight. Problem fixed until it really did spring a leak on a seal.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Our issue is a little different. We have our valves closed but if something is in the bathroom grey tank, it will continue to leak out at the cap. It is a simi slow leak but never-the-less a continues leak. Has anyone had this problem?
smfdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #15
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

How do you keep it in place? Did you find some way to lock it on? I had one on mine and lost it going down the road.

Orv
Ours twists on very tight at this point but we will now look at trying to secure it with a large hose clamp as mentioned by J C.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is what it will look like, hose clamp and all..

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote