Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
wat42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4557
DISH NETWORK INFO

I know there is a lot of info on here about Direct TV. We chose DISH last Dec. to take to Fla. w/us. Had to purchase satellite dish there & tech came & set it up outside. Couldn't get it set outside since we came home. Tech came the other day, had a real hard time getting it set. Do the rest of you who have DISH (if anyone does) have a lot of trouble getting your satellite set up? Is there a "gizmo" that is supposed to do it automatically, like I have been told. Supposedly, there is a Suunto View Finder that helps find elevation, etc. Haven't been able to find one, any info will be appreciated.

wat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Below are some links. You did not mention where you house is located. Have you been able to site your dish at other locations?

This web site (I am not affiliated with it) has satellite finding equipment.

I purchased this unit from radio shack we call it the SCREAMER because it has a tone that get louder as the signal gets stronger.

If you really want the almost automatic then this one.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
From where I am located, Dish sets a little lower in the sky and is harder to set up than DTV. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have Dish Net and have the Dish pro parabolic dish I set mine up the old fashoned way like this.
1. I set all my settings on the dish Skw / and asmith. and get my compass points ready on my trusty Winegard El cheapo campass.
2. I make sure I have a clear view of the southern sky and plumb my stand so I have a good bubble (level).
3. hook up the wire to the antenna and SAT connector on the trailer turn on the TV set and receiver go to set up and put the antenna on the stant and turn it untill it screams Green on Sat 110.
the fastest I did it was 5 min start to finish, and no screaming at the wife either.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Though I do use Directv, for 10 years I used (fought) with a SCREAMER type device from Winegard. Recently I purchased from Solid Signal the Acutrac 22. It cost $100 vs $40 for a Screamer but setups now are much more easy. It uses a bar to show signal strength instead of the meter. I have used it 2 times now and both times zeroed in on the first attempt each time. With the Screamer you can get what you think is a good signal to only find out you have nothing. I wish I would have put the original $40 toward the Acutrac. I got it to use with a new slimline dish (ebay) with 3 lnb's for HD access and a HD stand from TV4RV.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
I have Dishnet for the last 4 years. It took me a year to fully understand all the settings. When I get to an RV site it takes me only 5 min & NO screaming. As long as the receiver is on, I use a swr meter. Most important is the first step. Level your post which the dish sets on. Then set everything else. Yes a clear view. Most problems people do is think the dish is pointing at the satellite. Actually the satellite is farther up at an angle & that is what messes them up. A low hanging tree will cause NO signal. I learned a lot off the internet.

Hope that helps.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A bit pricey but if you want Automatic than this is the only way to go. Just push 1 button and walk away. The TRAV'LER will do all the work for you.
Yes, you can hook it up to the Dish box you already have.

Winegard TRAV'LER Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antennas

We have ours for Direct TV but they also have them for Dish Net.

In a year and a half we have not had any problems getting a signal. Just do not try to shoot thru trees
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have spent the last three winters in FL with my DishNet system. Techs come out and set me up each time for $35 (have talked them into doing this for free). Since we are stationary there from Oct to April, they setup two (one local) dishes and concrete (not noticeably) in the sand. Works great. When I get home I just call to switch my local channels and I am up and running here in N. MI in my house.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote