Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
washer drains into black tank

Hope someone can enlighten me but is it normal for the washing machine to drain into the black tank? I thought I was having a problem with the vent causing the toilet to burp when we washed clothes but I confirmed today the drain was actually filling the black tank and I had to dump the tank before it overflowed.

jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I believe that Keystone has stopped installing the washer drain into any of the tanks. They now plumb it directly into the main drain pipe. I do not know that for certain and I do not know what the date of the change might have been. Hopefully someone will be able to give us some better information.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Hello,
Yes, our's is plumbed into the blank tank also,(2005 RL) glad you found out before you flooded your kitchen floor like we did! (first day in the new trailer!) I was not a "happy fulltimer" !! What I do is go out and open the tank before washing. Hubby forgot one day and there was soapy water running off the roof where it went out the vent. Got the roof washed, and saved the inside that time. LOL If I remember right someone of the forum re-plumbed his.
I have no idea why they did this.I wrote Keystone, but got no response. The dealer wasn't even aware of this "goof" ?
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I don't know how hard it is to change, but our 2007 3400RL drains into the main sewer line directly. The p-trap is in the wall and the drain goes straight down through the floor then elbows over to the main line and tee's in at an angle.

It would be harder to change on the models with the front washer closets in the nose.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Roamingusa

Hello,
Yes, our's is plumbed into the blank tank also,(2005 RL) glad you found out before you flooded your kitchen floor like we did! (first day in the new trailer!) I was not a "happy fulltimer" !! What I do is go out and open the tank before washing. Hubby forgot one day and there was soapy water running off the roof where it went out the vent. Got the roof washed, and saved the inside that time. LOL If I remember right someone of the forum re-plumbed his.
I have no idea why they did this.I wrote Keystone, but got no response. The dealer wasn't even aware of this "goof" ?
Chris

The reason that I re-plumbed the drain is all the problems you have with the black tank because you have it open all the time when using the washer, and not having enough water in the tank when using the bathroom.

As Carol say’s Water, Water, Water, and repeat!!!!!

Ok for all of you that have the 3400RL with the washer drain that goes into the black tank I have a fix if you’re ready to drop the panels and fix the problem with the poor engineering design from keystone.

First you will have to cut the drain line as it enters the black tank vent pipe, leaving about an inch on the vent pipe to allow you to glue a dead end cap on it.

Next you will have to cut wood next to drain pipe to allow it to turn far enough to clear vent pipe then using a 45 degree fitting, and straight pipe to a 90 degree fitting with a straight section down through floor to another 90 degree fitting then a straight piece to a 45 degree fitting, then a straight section into a 3 fitting with a end down to a 1.50 fitting.

As you can see there is no insulation in the section where the holding tanks are located, and the heat line into the belly is on the aft side of the tanks.

Beware even after doing this to always open the drain before using the washer, if you don’t it will not be able to vent, and will overflow into the washer and dryer closet!!!

Ok it’s time to have fun, and remember this will make the DW very happy!!!
Washer Drain Fix

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
We have been using this method of opening the black tank while doing the wash for three years now, and have had no problems.(we are fulltime) We always dump three or four bowls full of water if we need to use the toilet during wash times.
I would still like to know why Keystone did this...???
Chris
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Chris, I think they still drain into one of the tanks on the forward W/D closet models.

Nice pics Old Gaurd - the only thing I might have done different would be to tap into the main drain with a sweep in the direction of flow instead of a T.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
On my 08 Mountaineer, it drains into my gray tank for the shower.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Chris, I think they still drain into one of the tanks on the forward W/D closet models.
Fortunately our '07 3075RL (front W/D closet) drains into the grey tank. One or two loads will fill the tank.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote