Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bill,

That is NOT the correct outcome!

OK. If the other rooms are staying tight, we can suspect that the problem would be only in the cylinder that moves the bed slide because, that suggests to me that the check valves in the pump are OK.

So, if possible and you can place a pry bar in the mechanism in a location that would allow you to pry the room in an outward direction, it may be worth a try.

What you would be looking for is, with steady pressure on the pry bar, if the room moves slowly out any amount of distance with the hydraulic cylinder hooked up, the piston seal inside is defective and is allowing the pressurized fluid to leak past the piston to the other side. This allows the pressure to equalize on both sides of the piston.

With the steady prying pressure in the mechanism and you get slow steady movement of the room and cylinder shaft, that cylinder will need to be replaced.

Since your unit is an '08, I am pretty sure that it could still be covered under warranty. So, talk to you dealer and Lippert Components. I know they made changes to the warranty policy in the last year or so but, I don't know what it is.

Shucks!! That is not what I was hoping would happen.

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 AM   #22
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Dale,

Thankyou for all your help. I also was hoping for a different outcome. Will not have time today but will check the cylinder tomorrow. We have had the Monty since June 07 and I'm not sure if warranty on frame and slide is for 1 or 2 years. We did purchase the extended warranty.Thankyou again,will post the outcome.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Dale,

Went out today and took the mattress off and all the wood for the bed. Did not have a good spot to pry without digging the bar into the plywood floor.I did push on the steel tubing sticking out at the foot of the bed, and the slide moved maybe 1/16 of an inch. Will call Lippert tomorrow and see what they say.

Bill
Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bill,

That cylinder shaft should not have moved! So, I am thinking the seals on the piston are in deed defective and allowing fluid to leak past.

Lippert, along with the help of your dealer should be able to get this fixed up for you in no time.

MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #25
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Dale,

Since I purchased my trailer in the U.S. the Montana dealer here will do work but if his customer comes in they put me outside until they have time for me and I do not want to take the chance that I could sit on his lot for weeks. Went to another keystone dealer {cougar} about 12 miles from us and asked him if he would work with me. Told him he would be my go to guy when ever needed. They said they would work with me. I have been busy and will give Lippert a call soon. Thanks again for all your help.

Bill

Old 01-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Just to update on the slide.

Talked with Gary from Lippert today and told him what was going on. He wanted to walk me thru checking all the slide cylinders and told him we have a lot of snow on the ground and that would present a problem. Asked Gary if the slide system was still under warranty and it is, 5 years. But the warranty was changed sometime after my purchase date, 06 /07 to only 1 year. Will be taking the monty to dealer of my choice and Lippert will work with them. Gary was very nice to talk to.

If it would only quit snowing so I can dig the monty out.

Bill

Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
I got the trailer back from dealer. They had talked with Lippert and they cycled the slides more than a dozen times.Said that the fluid was foaming abit. So far the slide is staying in. I had cycled them 3-4 times with no results or foaming. I also talked with Gary at Lippert and he told me to keep an eye on the fluid level. Thing i will drop the under side and check all the fittings just to make me feel better.

Thanks again to Dale for all his help.

Bill