Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
3725 Water Pump

Has anyone with a 3725 done anything with their fresh water pump? We always use direct water hook up but I have been adding a little to the fresh water tank so that we can use the toilet when traveling during the day. The last several days I put in about 10 gallons or so and by the end of the day (one or two flushes) the pump is sucking air. We always turn pump off when not in immediate use. I unscrewed drain under back of Montana yesterday and sure enough tank only had about a gallon of water in it. I can't see anywhere it seems to be leaking out. Where is the fresh water pump located?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I do the same thing as you do, I fill the tank with about 10-15 gallons of water so that I can use the toilet while on the road and while I do not have a 3725 this is what happens to me. #1 There is not as much water in the tank as I think there is, so I started to go by the electric tank gage and #2 the biggest problem is that the fresh water plumbing is pex tubing. Through the winter and just natural movement of the trailer going down the road, the pex connectors will come loose and let me tell you there is a lot of them. Every year I check them and I will find 1 or 2 that I can get a quarter turn on. If you have one loose enough to leak after you pressurize the system with the pump it will act like a syphon once the pump is turned off and slowly drain your fresh water tank without gaining anything in your black or grey tanks. It could be something low like your outside shower that in the distribution center and you would not see a leak because it drains to the outside. When the unit is on city water there is enough pressure to seal the fitting so no leak. I have had it happen to me too many times because of the number of connectors, I always seem to miss one.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have never had that problem. Works fine. With an empty tank, if you put 10 gallons in, the pump fills every line in the coach when turned on. Also, the RV is perhaps at different level causing pooling in the tank. I put water in until the first green light on my display lights up.

I believe the pump is behind the wall near the convenience center.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Joe, The Fresh Water Pump is located behind the Convenience Panel. I had to replace my pump last winter after it froze.

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Thanks Scott and CaptJoe, it sounds like I need to get behind my Convenience Panel and investigate. Does the white 2-sides wall inside the basement unscrew to allow access? From what I am seeing that looks like the only way to get behind there.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Joe,
I suggest you time your fresh water fill time. I use one minute per five gallons plus/minus a few seconds. Site water pressure plays a role.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Joe,
I suggest you time your fresh water fill time. I use one minute per five gallons plus/minus a few seconds. Site water pressure plays a role.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I am very careful putting water in it. My fresh water gauge, along with all the others quit working within 3 months of taking delivery.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
The white slanted wall will unscrews and you will see the water pump and lots of piping with the afore mentioned connectors . Something is not working correctly. Disappearing water must be either in holding tank or into belly cover/ or on ground. Our pump holds the pressure, and only runs while actually flushing or using the sink. We typically take on between 5 to 10 gallons water while traveling for the between stops and are able to use the bathroom several times with no issues. Have timed fresh-tank-fill water flow and then have drained fresh tank into 5 gallon buckets to verify gallons per minute. One other related thought, we have a pressure gauge permanently attached to city water connect and observed different amounts of water per minute flowing into fresh tank based on pressure of city water.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Thanks guys for information. Guess I will be getting out the tools today, pushing my big butt into the basement, and tearing stuff up. Since getting this unit I have wanted to get a look at the water pump anyway. I have replaced them on boats over the years and from the sound of this one it is a cheaper model pump (now there is a shocker). I will let you know what I find.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Update: everyone was right. The white 2 sided wall exposes everything. I found two or three pex fittings that I was able to get another 1/8 turn on. I then hooked up the fresh water fill and let it run about 4 minutes. During this process I unscrewed the fresh water drain under the back of the rig to make sure water was even getting to the tank, it was. Shut off water fill and checked control panel inside. Sure enough sensor was working and showed 1/3 full. Turned off city water and turned on water pump. It charged immediately and shut off. Went inside and tried all faucets. Pumped good and when I shut each faucet down pump immediately shut off. Before when I would shut a faucet off the pump would run for another 5 to 10 seconds before shutting off. I am thinking one or more of the fittings that I tightened was the culprit. Thanks again everyone for your imput.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Don't be surprised that you will be back in that area to tighten fittings again in the future. They seem to loosen with travel and use. I have had to access that area several times since tightening fittings the first time. This will be part of your routine maintenance schedule, checking all fittings, inside and out, and not just water, but also hydraulic and sewer. They all seem to work loose over time.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Good job.....
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote