Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Microwave/convection oven on the fritz!

When using the convection mode last evening, DH thought he smelled something unusual (no, not my cooking! ) I didn't and he could not describe it.

Tonight I finished using the convection mode again and (not immediately, there was a break in there) then switched to microwave for 2 minutes.

Well, it did not switch off!! We both started smelling a distinct "plastic" smell.

I immediately switched off the breaker and then unplugged the unit.

At this point I'm thinking something melted . . . inside the microwave unit. (Not a dish, etc., but something internal.)

Okay, thoughts? Electrical? Microwave unit itself has gone south?

There's not a lot stored in the compartment above the microwave and nothing was melted/burned.

I'll call a mobile tech guy tomorrow. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
You did not say what make the Mic/Conv is but my experience with microwaves has been most often it is a door switch that shorts out. Sometimes there are two switches associated with the door. It will be pretty obvious to the tech when he opens up the microwave. It is normally a loose connection which causes the problem.

Good luck
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
It's a Dometic Model DOTRC17BC, original with the rig. Made in August 2009. We got the Montana in December 2010.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have had a lot of luck with microwave ovens, most of it bad. One year I bought 5 new ones
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It could be almost anything in there, get a price from the repair guy before he get's too far into it; show-up fee, total service call, return trip cost, any truck charge? mark-up on parts, how long it will take to get the parts in, and so on.
Probably not a circuit board, that would go before it melted anything, I would guess probably plastic around a wire conducting line voltage. Good luck with it.

A new one is $740 to give you some perspective.
http://www.rvpartwholesaler.com/servlet/the-5355/Dometic-DOTRC17BC-RV-Microwave/Detail
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks for all the suggestions. If it were plastic around a wire, seems like we might have noticed it before now. We've been using it for 3.5 years.

Talked with our mobile tech guy this morning. We've got a couple of other minor things I've been wanting to get fixed (I'll watch him do it once so I'll learn how to do it myself), so this is a good excuse for him to come out. We've used him a few times before; he's reliable, does good work and is fair with his prices.

Seasonal RVs set up at campgrounds are very popular around here, so he's busy with winterization jobs. We're having our first freezes with temps in the 20s next week.

We'll talk again over the weekend or Monday, and then set up a time for him to come out within the next week or so.

In the meantime, it's back to the days before microwaves!

I'm just thankful it wasn't anything major and we didn't burn down our home!
Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The reason I suggested the plastic around the wire is that I found that on a Panasonic Microwave I repaired for a Commercial customer, it was the plastic around the spade type connector, the connection was loose, causing heat, and it melted, shorting it out. I fixed the connection and it is back in service.. after replacing a fuse in it.
I repair them for restaurants I service.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TxYellowRose

It's a Dometic Model DOTRC17BC, original with the rig. Made in August 2009. We got the Montana in December 2010.
Here is a link to the Parts list for your oven. Note that it has three latch switches. sometimes the terminals loosen for whatever reason and generate heat that melts anything close to the heat.
I have found that over a period of long use one of the switches themselves may have heated up and the contacts are now welded together, thus keeping the oven on.

http://www.campingworld.com/includes...cs/DOTRC17.pdf

There is constant arching as these contacts are activated when the door is opened and closed, the greatest source of problems is there.
The switches may be either NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed) and you may very well have a combination of both.

I recently replaced one in my very old Panasonic in the S&B and over the years have replaced several.
The local repairman just left after my waiting for 7 months to have the unit in my Montana repaired under warranty. No thanks to Keystone but thanks to the supplier to Keystone, long story....

Good luck with what should be a minor repair.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote