Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Two Problems

I have two problems I could use some guidance on. We have a 2012 3400.

I have noticed a propane smell around the storage area on one side only. When I open the storage compartment the smell is more noticeable but not overwhelming. I guess the next thing to check is the fittings using a soap solution? Anything else i should try?

The second problem happened today when I dumped the black tank. I ran water to the black tank flush. After doing so for 5 minutes, my wife yelled out that water was accumulating on the floor. It was not pouring out or anything but appeared to be coming out the side of the shower (the carpet was wet there) and down to the bottom step from the bedroom. The only thing i can think of is there must be a leak in the line somewhere. Don't have any idea how to check this. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance.

Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
One thing to check on your propane smell. Check to see if there is gas coming out of the regulator tower. My wife and I was playing cards on the picnic table last year and all of a sudden smelled a strong odor of propane. While investigating, I found the regulator had developed a leak and was leaking past the diaphragm. Fortunately, we were leaving the following morning and were not planning to use propane for anything else while we were there and turned it off. Had to replace the regulator once returning home. May not be the problem you are having, but worth a look. As far as the water leak goes, there are others here that will have much input on that problem. Good Luck!
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually you have two somewhat common problems. With the propane check the fittings first on both ends of the black pipe that goes across the front storage area. Our black pipe was over threaded and as a result the compression nut couldn't seal. The person who repaired it for us said it was a common problem he say with many different brands. Not a big leak, but you could smell it in the front storage areas depending on the wind. Your black tank flush problem is almost assuredly the backflow preventer. It's a little black or sometimes clear valve that there to prevent back siphoning in the flush line. I'm not familiar with your rig, but on ours it was under the sink in the bathroom. On others it's behind the shower. Wherever they are located they're cheap Chinese Junk (not the boats). You can replace it with a better one or I took mine out all together. I now use a restaurant style outdoor one that I have on one of those short hoses with the spring on it. All my water connections have quick disconnects so I just snap in on and flush.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
For the propane smell check all of the previously mentioned places, also check the hoses to the tanks themselves, they seem to use those cheap Chinese made ones and they develop tiny leaks over time, especially where they are bent sharply. Had to replace both on my Daughters horse trailer.

Like Dick my backflow preventer is located under the bedroom sink, yours must be behind the pantry wall between it and the shower. Absolutely stupid place to put it but you may have access from the pantry, some have found a removable cover in there. When you get at it remove it as Dick did.

If there is no access cover then you will have to determine where it is or at least very close and make an opening in the back of your pantry to access it.

Good luck
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you don't find a propane leak, check for a bad or dry battery. They also give a pungent smell.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
When looking for the propane leak spray the soap solution on the face of the switchover control knob. I chased all the connections for a day convinced of a leak at a connection, only to discover a leak coming out the face of the knob.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In the 3400 it is between the wall and in the and pantry cupboard.There should be a removable panel there ,If you remove the panel you will see a hole and the valve. Do not panic if the hole is there but you can not see the valve that only means the skilled craftsman that cut the hole cut it in the wrong place. The valve will be to the right or left of the hole. Mine was to the left. Solution, cut a bigger hole.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Your Back Flow Valve leak could be only the Plex Fitting needs tightened that is what our fix was last Summer
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
X2 with kdeiss mine did that once last year and that fixed it
Old 06-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have had both problems.
Three years ago I began to smell propane in the street side propane compartment. I sprayed leak detector and soapy water all over everything that could possibly leak. No bubbles anywhere. Finally I replaced the small red regulator valve just off that tank since they were known to fail. No more propane odor after installing the new valve. When I looked at the old valve there was a very small vent hole on the bottom side and an oily substance around it. That is where it was leaking. Being on the bottom the soapy water did not get on it enough to make bubbles.
And I just finished fixing the black tank flush leak last week. You can read about it
here for the problem
and here for the fix.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Thanks for the help. I will check it out next weekend. I am really hoping there is an access panel in the pantry as I don't want to take on cutting a hole myself. Not my area of expertise. Thanks again.
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am sure you will find a access panel in the pantry. IF you have to cut a bigger hole to get to and replace the valve the cover will no longer fit. Helen cut a piece of wood grain shelf paper to fit over the bigger hole .It is in the pantry so it can't be seen.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
My valve did not fail, but after reading about the failures on this forum, I decided to replace the valve. I did not have an access panel so I had to cut into the pantry wall to get access to my valve. You can locate the valve by looking into the pocket for your sliding door and doing some careful measuring. When you cut the access opening, just make sure your pocket door is pulled all the way out. In my opinion, it's much easier to perform preventative repairs before you actually have the problem.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our 06 3400 did have a access panel in the pantry wall. the 2009 apparently did not a example of how the manufacturers save $$ and weight. Saved maybe 1.98 in a plastic panel and a few ounces in weight. It adds up.