Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Fifth Wheel Storage Modification Ideas?

OK. I just purchased a Keystone Montana 2955RL. Love the unit, but am curious how others may have increased the storage in the front and basement area. Seems I am losing the top 1 1/2 that could be used for shelves. Since I am not using generator area up front, maybe some mods up there too! Folding chairs eat up some room too. Any one modified there 5ver for more storage? My unit is below.

smfdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Many have modified their basements with shelving systems (NCFischer - Jim Fischer has a neat system) as do many others. My personal solution, is to simply cram everything that I can into the space provided and then become exasperated each time we camp trying to find a single item. Oh well, organization is not one of my better traits. Seriously though, I am looking hard at the sliding tray systems that are available. We do use the plastic totes to provide some semblance of organization to the smaller items.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's a few ideas...

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't use pegboard

Pic #2

Pic #3

Sliding Tray is a tremendous way to get to the stuff in the middle

Pic #2

Pic #3

Pic #4

Pic #5

Pic #6

Also in Pics #5 & #6 you will see a 4" PVC. I use this for storing my US Flag
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Uh! Glenn! Do any of those hanging tools make any racket going down the highway?????

Very neat.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have anything as fancy as what Glenn did. I did hang some shelves from the basement rafters. There I stow the folding ladder, flagpole, and misc items. My setup for this is makeshift. I need to come up with something a bit prettier. At least it is functional.

I also used some of those 'C' pipe holders, the ones used to secure pipes to a wall, and there store the awning rod, spare tire lift handle, and the rear stabilizer handle. Nothing fancy but it makes those things easier to get to and keeps them up and out of the way. Our year Montana did not come with the hangers on the wall as shown in the first picture in the thread.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I did a few things for storage and neatness. The white containers are screwed to the floor all other stuff is bungeed in place. Hooks were screwed into the plywood. In the front compartment i store my patio mats and extra propane, charcoal, starter, and things for dutch oven cooking. Most of the stuff in the front is there because it gets dirty, wet or needs ventilation. This keeps the main compartment much cleaner. Just click the link in my signature and when the page loads scroll to mods.

Hope this helps, Swanny
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
All my storage containers are the clear, ones sold at WM. That way most things are visible. I also tape a list on the outside of each container so if I think it's there but can't see it, time to check the list.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
emorris548
Established Member

M.O.C. #8787
Send a message via MSN to emorris548
I have a 06 Montana Mountaineer, it came with an option which had two pull out black plastic bins, one to pull out on each side of the coach, installed to the top of the basement ceiling. When I started to load them up they kind of folded up and dropped down. I re-enforced them and now they work fine they work fine. I don't know if your dealer can still find these bins as parts or not.
emorris548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Glenn,
Tell me about your compressor. How many cfm? What size motor? Trying to determine if 1800 Watt Generator will run it. What is the max pressure it makes. Brand? Sure would be nice to have more than the little 12V compressor that takes forever to pump up a tire to 80 Lbs.
Thanks,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
Based on previous RVs, it seems no matter how much storage space we have, it all ends up full.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
smfdva
Established Member

M.O.C. #9538
Well I purchased the plywood and pipe stands today. I have emptied the belly and cut the wood. It will be two pieces of plywood cut to fit, sitting on 8" pipe with stands, then covered by black carpet. The wood is cut, primed, and pipe stands mounted. The primer should dry overnight, and tomorrow afternoon we will aplly the adhesive and carpet. Weather permitting, all goes back in Sunday. Will post pictures before I load it.

Now just to figure out if I am going to put gutters, or the like, in top of compartment for fishing rods and other long small items? Anybody have pictures of something like that I would appreciate seeing them.
smfdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Exnavydiver has his fishing poles attached to the ceiling in the front room area of his unit. He has those monster ocean fishing poles. Very slick installation.

CountryGuy found under the bed storage containers with 2 wheels. They stack. We started with 3, have since changed minds about what we carry and now only have 2 of them. The one on the bottom of the pile, we took the wheels off. We can put a small collapsing table and one of those lounge chairs on top of the 2 containers.

Remember that your basement may be a different configuration. Measure real well and then you are off to Camping World, Kmart, Wal*Mart and any other storage container store you can find. We have containers from truck stops, and dollar stores. We find our needs change almost every year, so our storage containers and area seem to morf continually.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Just last week at a garage sale, I found a wire shelf kit for the stick garage and mounted them in the basement of our 3455SA. Got the idea after looking at rames14's setup while beside him in Wisconsin the week before.
Steve R, for my folding ladder, I purchased 4 1x6 by 8ft boards and built a rectagle box open on both ends. This box now sits on the floor and is accessable from either side of the basement. I got tired of having to move everything on top of the ladder when I wanted to use it, now I can put things on the box and still get the ladder out.
smfdva, you can find the wire racks at Lowes or Home Depot, easy install with all the hardware needed.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote