Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
J.T. Strongs

I spent anout 6 hours installing my front 4 legs, finishing just before my beer alarm went off. So, silver bullet in hand, I went around back to see what I was in for to finish the job. Hmmm, insulated belly with no exposed crossmember forward or rear of the "C" channel which mounts the telescoping stabilizers. Are there any under the corrugated plastic cover or what's the solution? By the way, the front's are all they're advertised to be and then some!!

deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Do the rear ones mount to a cross member? I thought they mounted to the frame. (sorry for being ignorant)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Although some have managed to find a way to drill into the frame at the rear, the best way (in my opinion) is to attach a 2"x4" piece of rectangular steel tubing under and across the rear area of the frame just back of the stabilizers. The tubing is cut at a 45 degree angle on each end, drilled, and screws put thru that into the frame. Then attach the JTs to that tubing.
Someone posted some pictures with dimensions on here some time ago. I followed that and it came out very well, very sturdy. Maybe they will do it again or provide the link to that post. I could not find it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our rear ones are mounted to that cross channel you mentioned, the one at the rear. I think there is a little bit of flex there but it still works well. Installing a better crossmember as Bill suggested would be even better. Ours seem to be fine, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
That was my post back 18 months ago, it was a 72 inch piece of 2x3 inch by 1/8 inch wall steel box beam. I got it for about 15 bucks from a local steel fabricator. Here is the Link to my slide show. measure the distance between the outside of your frame members. It was 72 inches on mine.. It was a very easy install for me. I had just called JT's and that was the info they gave me... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Great ideas all, looks like I have a project when we get back to the stick house. The forum comes through once again.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Or.... you folks thinking about them might want to look at the SteadyFast stabilizer that does not require addition of a rear cross member. It bolts to the side frame as Tom S. mentioned above. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I made my own stabilizers similar to the jt's, and used 3" steel c-channel for a support in the rear. Very sturdy. I didn't have room for the tubing as I have the slide-out bumper.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote