Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Noisy hot water tank (new problem?)

I know there has been a lot of talk about noisy hot water tanks but mine only makes noise when the hot water is turned on. I flushed the tank and turned off the power and gas and the noise sounds like it is from the back of the tank. Maybe hot water outlet side.

Is there a check valve or anti back flow valve in the system? I can't see one and the manufacturer says they do not put one in.

Because of other problems I have access to the back of the tank so can remove the water lines if I have to.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes there should be a check valve on the hotwater line (top) of the hot water heater. I believe Ozz did a photo of it.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks John, I should have done a better search and found it.

The picture was posted by snfexpress so now all I have to do is get a new one and change it out.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...8&SearchTerms=,,

Thanks again,
Dick
Old 10-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
It took a 12" crescent but finally got the check valve out. Made a trip to Camping World and all they had was a plastic one for over $10.00, what a rip off. Had to use a gasket out of the old (brass) unit to get it to seal. It still is a little noisy but not as bad as the old one.

Thanks John for your help and happy camping,
Dick
Old 10-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The brass ones I bought were only about 12 bucks each and no problems with noise for just about a year.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Sometimes the noise is coming from a valve that is not open all the way.
Check the valves on your weatherization plumbing for the hot water heater to see if that they are all the way closed and the water valves all the way open.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote