Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
memory foam Mattress ???

Thinking about replacing the mattress with a Contura By Lane lll -
12" memory Foam Mattress.

The King size measures 76 X 80.....
the king size mattress in our trailer measures 70 X 80....

if you have used one of these memory foam mattress -
HAVE YOU CUT IT DOWN IN SIZE?

Friends have use the memory foam mattress for years and still likes it. But they never had to cut it down in size.

THANKS FOR YOUR words of experience.

Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
https://www.mattressinsider.com try this place
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
No big deal buying a standard King size topper I have done it twice and just measure and draw a straight line and use a Electric knife and it cuts like butter to make a perfect fit and even round the corners it is like cutting a Thanksgiving Turkey
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would suggest you look at a ALL natural latex foam mattress. It is far better than any other foam. It is a very dense foam so it supports you better but it is also very soft so you don't get any pressure points. It is just better.
I have a friend who has a mattress and furniture store. He buys expensive mattresses and cuts them open to see what is in them. If you have an big brand name mattress you would be hopped mad to see the cheap Walmart materials in it.
Lynwood
On edit. Joe if you would like to see a piece of this material I have some and will send it to you.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
The latex is about the best mattress out there. Anti microbial,anti bacterial, anti fungal, dust mite resistant. The only thing I would suggest is know your pin weight as latex is not light, like 6 pounds or so per cubic foot about double the best urethane foam you can buy. A 12 inch mattress has no where near 12 inches of memory foam in it more like 3-4 max. Imho anything more than 3 inches of mem foam is a complete waist of money, remember the mem foam is for comfort only and does not provide any support thats what you r base foam is supposed to do. 4-6 inches of high quality urethane and 3 inches of mem foam and you will sleep like a baby and try to get a natural stretch cover like bamboo or something, a quilted cover won`t give you the full benefit of the mem foam. Get the cover zippered so you can wash it and see what the heck is in there. Lynwood is right about whats inside your mattress, most spring filled mattresses cost less than 150 bucks to make labour and materials in so figure out what you paid for you last spring filled mattress and back out the profit not bad eh.
Ragtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Parklane mattresses company. They have an RV mattress division, that you order online from. Bought ours from them, and it is more comfortable than our home Temperpedic one. Our "king" is 70 inches wide by 80 inches long. Fits just fine, and oh so comfortable. I would have to disagree with some of the opinions about memory foam, as ours has been super comfortable. And yes, they are much heavier than the one that comes with the RV. Denver mattress is another one, and there are others out there as well. Didn't use to be that way, but more manufacturers are getting into the act.
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ragtacker is right. A 12 inch latex mattress is too heavy to put in your camper. You couldn't raise it up to store stuff under it. All you need is 4 inches on top of what you now have. 4 inches and you could put rocks under it and never know it. We have had several good mattresses none we have had compares to latex.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
Mattress weight on slide out

Do I need to be concern about the weight of the new king size
- 12inch thick memory foam mattress
on top of the bedroom slide out??

Thanks
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I purchased a cool foam topper from Costco that we will be trying out. Figured we would try it for a while and if necessary upgrade to air bed or foam mattress when we start to travel for longer periods of time. Had one in the camper that we liked real well.

Tom Marty
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our RV King mattress is 72" X 80" with the 12" radius corners at one end. We managed to survive with the original mattress with a good topper for a few years, then finally had to make a change last year. We were in Fresno, CA for a while, and I contacted A Better Bed, a local, small company that will custom make anything in a bed that you want. We went to their store/plant to talk, and he had a number of mattresses on display. DW didn't want a memory foam, but after trying a latex mattress, she was hooked. They made us an 8" thick mattress, 4" of firm core, and 2" of softer foam on both sides, along with the 12" radius corners, and made it upholstered on both sides, so it can be flipped. They delivered it to us in the park we were staying at, and it was substantially lighter in weight than the spring mattress that came in our rig. We are extremely happy with it and it sleeps great. I think it was about $500. The owner said, if someone wanted a custom mattress and knew what they wanted, a call ahead of time so they could get the proper materials in, and they can make a mattress in less than a day, and there is room to park a trailer at the rear of their shop. http://abetterbed.com/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #11
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I switched from our factory RV king-size to an 8 inch memory foam mattress. Got a great deal from costco.com. The wife decided that it was too firm, so I got a 3 inch topper from our local Costco. Now she complains that it is too difficult to turn from side-to-side, and also, ...she now needs a step stool to get into bed. :-/ Can't win for losing!

I, on the other hand, find it to be much better than the original mattress. I did have to install stronger air cylinders to keep it up on its own, but then again, the original cylinders didn't keep the original mattress up either, so, just an overall upgrade.

If you or your wife are short, a 12 inch mattress might be too thick
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote