Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
3400RL question

Colin and I are having a discussion regarding the main bedroom window. Colin says its for emergencies only, I am not sure. I have never tried to open it in case I did something REALLY AWFULL. It does not have a screen, but of course that could be an omission!!. Can someone please answer the question. Thanks. Diana

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Diana, it doesn't hurt to open the emergency window. You can close them back up. I opened ours in our other unit several times. Ours on the Monty does have a screen. I'm not sure why some do and some don't. Your unit is about the same age as ours I think. Maybe it was what they felt like that day!
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I just opened ours, one in the bedroom and the one at the computer desk, they just swing out on a hinge at the top. No problem closing them, seem to seal ok. I don't see why they couldn't be used like any other window that opens. Ours are screened also. Mary says she has seen them open on various trailors at different parks. I'm pretty pragmatic and I interpret the sign as "don't use them as an exit except in an emergency". Why anybody would want to use one any other time is a mystery to me, it's a loooooooong way to the ground. Maybe it would be a good idea to get one of those emergency rope ladders to keep by each window.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
DiananColin,

Do you have the double pane (Thermo) windows?? My ole brain has been over taxed lately, but it seems to me that I remember that those who have the double panes do NOT get a screen in the bedroom escape window.

I agree with Skip, it is a LONG way down, and why any one in their right mind would go out that thing if Montana was not burning is beyond my comprehension. We considered it one time when we were locked IN the Montana, but after looking down if one was to go out the bedroom escape window or the front room escape window, we found another solution to getting out of that locked door! I told Al, I ain't jumping if it ain't burning!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
But I bet if it was burning, you'd be glad it was there! I agree it is a long way down. Ed said he would go first and catch me. I guess a broken leg is better than burning up. Carol, I think you are right about the dual panes, I knew there was a reason but the "senior moments" seem to get me now and then. Since we did not order ours but bought one on the lot ours does not have the dual panes but I like having that window with screens in the bedroom because the little window in the slide is not much use for anything.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:45 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DiananColin

Colin and I are having a discussion regarding the main bedroom window. Colin says its for emergencies only, I am not sure. I have never tried to open it in case I did something REALLY AWFULL. It does not have a screen, but of course that could be an omission!!. Can someone please answer the question. Thanks. Diana
Diana,

Our 3670 is about the same age as your 3400, and we do often open the bedroom window. It does have a screen. Ours is a one-piece single pane awning type window. Unless you have something different, I think you should be able to use the window and have a screen for it. (Our '02 3255 was the same way also).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:10 AM   #7
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Thank you all, I was sure that that window would come off at the hinge so you could "bust out" if need be, so I never opened it, and would have dearly love to get more fresh air in. So last night I opened it wide, and not only did it not come off at the top hinge, but I had all the fresh air I needed.

In case anybody wondered, we are on the Oregon coast, right on the beach as shown in the picture below. It's 70 degrees, and unfortunately we have to return to Minden this week to the 100 degrees.

We've enjoyed our trip, and the Montana has performed beautifully, and comfortably,

New Pictures up on the webshots link.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Thank you everyone. When we go away next time in September I WILL be opening that window. I like fresh air and the little window beside the bed in not much good for that. I had asked Colin when we were away last time whether I could open the window and he said he "didn't think we should". How many times I have told him "not to think" and that just proves I was right!!!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
DiananColin

Someone here made a screen for that window, anyone remember who??? (whew, that old age, over worked thing again HAHA)

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Well, I opened it , enjoyed the air, and then closed it, and now it doesn't fit. It closes OK, but there is a gap on the right side, so another thing to add to our list, to fix before the warranty runs out., well in this case, before the next rain...
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote