Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Trailer wiring for Dish TV

We recently changed over from DirecTV to Dish. With DirecTV we used the Montana wiring to route the antenna from the receiver to the connection in the utility center in the basement. It worked perfectly. No such luck with Dish. I have to run the antenna wire out the window directly to the tailgater antenna. Dish responded that the wiring within the Montana is inferior to their requirements and that all of the wiring would have to be replaced. I find this hard to believe since there are so many Montana owners who have Dish. Any suggestions?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I don't think the problem is with the Montana cable. I have seen folks have problems with the cable supplied with the tailgater. I have heard people having no reception to my personal experience that I only got the 110 & 119 satellite. I replaced the Dish supplied cable (cable run from the antenna to the convenience center) and have no problems since.

What is puzzling is that you were able to run cable directly from the receiver to the tailgater and get reception. It could be that some of the connectors might be suspect. Many have posted problems with the connectors.

Also, have you made sure to have your antenna booster off?

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You Gotta trash the 50 ft cheap coax they give ya ,I was having lots of problems till the rep told me to try a thick high Quality 25ft RG6 just for satellites BAM! problem solved at least in my case , the signal has a LONG way to go 50ft of cheap coax AND all through the coach is too much for the Tailgater, for some folks down South(Arizona Etc.. closer to the Equator where the signal is better the 50 footer seems to works fine for them
Old 07-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
On mine the external coax connection in the convenience center (I only had one) was connected to a dual coax wall plate at the living room TV with a short jumper coax between the two connectors on the wall plate. By removing the jumper and connecting the cable from the sat receiver to the wall plate it connected to the convenience center. Then the external coax to the Tailgater. My CC and the internal wall plate are close so I would guess the internal coax is only 3-4 ft. But having said all that, it did work fine most of the time with the Tailgater even with the cheaper coax.
But I later added a second external coax connector (in the outside wall, not in the CC) specifically for the sat so I do not have to remove/reinstall the jumper depending on whether I wanted to use park cable or not.
As recommended above I did upgrade to a quad shielded 50' coax to try to make it even better.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have 100 feet of RG6 from my Wingard 1000.2 antenna that I connect to connection I installed. Internally, RG6 is used to connect the HD receiver from Dish VIP211z to the wall connection. From the receiver it is HDMI to the TV. Same set up for the bedroom HD TV. The 1000.2 antenna has 3 LNB for 110,119, and 129. For the antenna alignment--only use the 119 and get a good signal and complete switch test. Then connect 119 to the switch. For a 3 LNB set up, you will need a Dish Pro 44 switch at the antenna--it is sealed. This will allow the 3 LNBs to be connected to 2 independent HD receivers and each receiver can select the channels separately. Or simply put--you can watch golf on one TV while your DW watched tennis! For Cable or on the air, I use the internal Monty wiring and a video switch to select the input to the TVs. The on air amp is "ON" all the time--no problems. I did re-route the signals from the amp to the switch and then to the TV -- the installed cables worked for this.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
With our Winegard Carryout we had to replace the connectors in the convenience center. Since then, we changed to a traveler and in both cases used the Monty's cables with no problem once the connectors were changed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote