Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Extended Service Contacts

I am looking for some info concerning extended sevice cotracts on the tow vehicle. Does anyone on the forum have experience with these contracts? Also can someone recommend a good company to do business with, that isn't a ripoff?

chevylvr

ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Do your home work well. When we purchased my wife's new Buick the dealer sold us an extended warranty. We were told it was a GM extended warranty. Her car is still under the factory warranty but we received a letter in the mail last week stating the extended warranty company had filed for bankruptcy. So much for the so called GM factory extended warranty. The dealer has now been taken over by another GM dealer. That was like driving down the road and throwing the money out the window.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
You must also be careful that any extended warranty contract will cover you as a tow vehicle. Some of these contracts have fine print that if you tow a heavy rig then the coverage may not apply.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
I did not even consider an extended warranty, especially since GM came out with the 100k/5year power train warranty.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
The power train warrenty is great! But the hightech electronics will
bankrupt you!! My neighbors rear wiper control (in computer) went out. $865 later with a new computer....... A wrap around/Bumper to Bumper for about $1600 is a bargin! Plus Pwr Train contracts don't cover any cooling, elec mtrs in window-wipers and seats, alternator, heads or EFI, supension or steering. Many plans DONOT ALLOW towing. I've spent the last 2 weeks researching this and you need to do your home work. The least expensive is Coverage1 by Delco, but only covers my Buick for 5yrs. The rest allow 6-7yrs for $16-2400 for 75-100K.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
First - where is your K-State Shirt??? First Game two weeks away and the wife, the KSU Fanatic, is already wearing nothing but K-State outter wear (actually a few hours short of 2 weeks now!!! Go Cats!!).

Now that that is out of the way; I've had several over the years; National underwriters from KC for a couple of them, and then some specific from Chrysler and Ford. I've found the ones from the manufacturers themselves to be a little pricier (several hundred dollars in fact) but the service 'after the sale' has been much better, especially if away from the selling dealer. With Ford I had several visits to 'away' shops and in all cases I had no problem with the extended contract -- can not say that about the National policy. We had those with two Chevrolets, in both cases we had to pay the bill, then wait for National to pay us back -- away dealers wouldn't take just the copay -- as I recall the reasoning was the company was so slow to pay (and they were). Now drive a Dodge and and I've not had to use the DC policy (still under 36/36 warranty). However, I purchased an extended warranty (from DC) on a used jeep and had to have fuel tank repaired away from home -- pd my 100 deductible and walked away. Sorry for being so longwinded.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
ksboy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6043
Send a message via MSN to ksboy
Thanks for all the info guys and you too skypilot. WE are still,researching xtended warranties. Skypilot, we are anxiously awaiting K-States first game also. We carry a K-State flag in the Monty at all times. My DW's Moc username is KSGirl.

chevylvr
ksboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Chevylvr: The wife is already giving me the dickens because I don't have the 5er here for her to load up (it is in the shop at KC); she went thru some serious sports withdrawal last winter -- basketball delayed it some but it sure hit after Bball ended . Best wishes with whichever warranty plan you go with -- I'm a believer in them - too much electrical / computerized in todays vehicles to try to repair oneself and the ones who do work on them want gold for payment.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote