Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
delrob
Established Member

M.O.C. #4322
Black water tank

I am new to this foram. But I was told by the company where we bought our Mountaineer trailer that when we dumped our black water tank we should have the front of the trailer higher than the rear. Does any one know anything about this. We have had a rv before but not a trailer. This didn't apply ot them.

delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
delrob,
I can't say that I've ever heard that before. We have had two previous units 30fks Cardinal and A 2005 Holiday Rambler Savoy. We always dump the black tank before dumping the others.I'm looking forward to the new Montana with the black tank flush. That should be quite an improvement over the old fashion way.
One more thought, if you are in a campground with full hookups the ideal setup would be to have your camper level. I would not want to raise the front of the trailer in order to dump the black tank.
Good luck and enjoy your trailer,
Michael& Diana
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never heard of that one,It is nice to have the side of the Rv that the dump valve on a bit lower when you dump so all the stuff can get out.Unless the dump valve is at the back of the RV don't know why you would do that????? Anyone have any ideas...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Have had T T & fivers & never heard of that. Always dump black first. No problems so far.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I don't have any ideas but I am sure somebody will come along and help.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:44 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have had 3 units and have been doing this for around 15 years. Never ever heard this and what a pain - you get your unit all level so the frig and slides work and then have to raise the front? I don't think they know what they are talking about.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I never heard of that, either, and cannot imagine why you'd want the front higher unless the dump valve is at the rear corner. Even then, having it level is all that is necessary. Some dump stations have a slope to them so the dump side is lower. Others have a recessed area right by the dump hole. In that case I'll try to get the wheels on that slope so that side is lower but I'm not sure that's really necessary. So long as it is not high on at dump valve side it should be fine. That's just an opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:10 AM   #8
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Well, it would depend on how your tanks are made. However, every holding tank I have looked at already is built with a slope on the bottom to help funnel waste to the drain valve. AND that slope is designed to work with a level or slightly tilted to the SIDE unit. sreigle is correct that a lot of dump stations are built to tilt an RV slightly that way anyhow.

In the case of my Montana, if I was to try to tilt front to rear, I would need to LOWER the front because my valve is on the front side of the tank right by the front street side corner. I have no idea how your Mountaineer's tank is made or oriented...

I wouldn't worry about trying to do anything special. Personally, I think that whoever told you this was smoking something

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Delrob, thanks for posting this question. There are probably others out there wondering the same thing. I hope we answered your question. If, by chance, you find out the reason he said to tilt it, please let us know. I'm curious why he would say that.

And welcome aboard!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:32 AM   #10
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I read a post by someone the other day stating that their washer drain was directed to the black water tank and I don't know which thread it was in but I found this one.

When we got our Monty the washer drain plug was stuck so I was unable to check it at walk-thru. On a return trip to the dealer for some other items this item was on the punch list to get the screw plug loose. Since we do not have a washer/dryer it was not a big deal, but this morning I decided to check it and yes mine is also piped into the black water tank. Guess this was conventient as to where the location is or maybe it was done that way to provide more flushing of the black tank.

The next trip I make to a hardware store I will buy a couple of caps to install on the valves to prevent an accident and a trailer full of water.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Delrob,

It's true, at least it is with ours. When our 335RLBS is level or worse nose down, there's a 1/4 cup or so that stays in the drain lines. Then when going down the road it makes its way down to the cap. Then when we take the cap off, you guessed it right on the ground. Usually I'm perpared with a bucket to catch it and pour it into the sewer.

One of RV'ings little joys.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #12
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Sounds to me like whoever it was was either talking about the bad old days, or just off the top of thier head..
All the stuff on our 2005 slopes toward the drain plug...
Boy Charlie, you made me think with that business of plugging off the washer so the black tank doesn't back up into the house... Whoooeee..
I think we got some conflicting advice from our dealer.. (or we got it mixed up).. dump the black first, then the grays??
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
There is an easy solution to the problem of some "liquid" giving you a "bath" when you undo the dump line cap. There is a gate type valve which fits on the end of the dump line. The hose fits on the end, just like the original connection. Available at many RV stores. It has a transparent section just behind the gate valve, so you can watch the liquid flow during the dump process. With the valve closed, there can be no liquid "bath" when you undo the cap...it is still trapped behind the valve.

The additional benefit is that, with that valve closed, you can then open both the galley and the gray tank valves, effectively interconnecting them. You now effectively have one 70+ gallon tank instead of two 30+ ones. Makes a big difference when "boon-docking". Another way is to wait until either the gray or galley tank fills, then "interconnect" them. The "full" tank will equalize with the less full one and you know it is only a short time until you will need to dump them both.

Do a search for "gate valves" or "tank valves" in the Forum "Improvements" section. Works great on the Montana...I assume it will be just as effective on the other models.

Best,

PJ
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We did as PJ did and added the additional gate valve. Ours had to be pcv cemented on but the new ones just twist on just like a sewer hose connector does.