Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Winegard GM-2000 Carryout G2: How to install?

Hi MOC,

I understand that no real installation is needed on the Winegard GM-2000 Carryout G2, but I am not understanding where I connect the coax to on my 2005 Montana 3400RL.

Excuse me for being dense, but am I supposed to have a coax going through the coach and being strung out a window? I looked outside for a connector of some sort, but only saw the cable connector and an old-style phone jack.

The Winegard representative could not comprehend my question of how I was supposed to connect the Carryout to my system. He just said "We ship it to you with printed directions. It's easy." I don't want to pay for it and then find out I don't like how it integrates with my Montana.

Can any one tell me how this will work, and if I have to re-wire the coach to get the DirecTV in the bedroom as well, or is the Montana already pre-wired for this and its a breeze?

Thank you.

HelloFreedom.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As I wrote on FaceBook, which satellite provider do you have and do you plan to have a DVR??? One other question I forgot is how interested are you in HD??

The Carryout has two RF outputs. The 2005 Montana has only one cable/satellite RF connectors. There is also a splitter in the circuit which can cause problems. The TV wiring diagram is here: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324

I have DirecTV, Dish may/is different. On my 2005, I installed two dedicated RF connections in place of the Phone Line receptacle on the side wall. Behind that I used a DirecTV splitter to power two cables to the living room receiver (it was a DVR) and a third cable to the bedroom. I ran a new cable but if you don't care about using the batwing antenna or park cable to the bedroom, you could repurpose the current cable which runs there from the living room. You will need a receiver in the bedroom also.

DirecTV has a much better technology called Single Wire Module (SWM) which only requires one wire to each receiver. But the Carryout doesn't support it. The Carryout also doesn't do HD for DirecTV.

So the provider of choice will impact how much work you will have to do. There have been several postings about the Carryout and how to use it. If the Search function was working it would be easy to find them. I will look and see if I can find some but don't hold out much hope.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote