Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Leaving early tomorrow (Tuesday May 10)

We are pulling out early tomorrow morning headed toward Florida. Unfortunately, our favorite spot, Ft. Pickens across from Pensacola, was devestated by Hurricane Ivan, so we will move on down to Panama City and stay a couple of nights in St. Andrews State Park, another place we have been visiting for over 40 years. We will move on up to Atlanta and Stone Mountain Campground for the weekend.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
David, You and Shirley have a good time and be careful. We are having 45 to 50 mph wind gust here and I sure wish I was going somewhere out of here. LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Have a safe trip! Stone Mountain is not too far from here, about 35 miles up Hwy. 78. Give us a call if you would like and perhaps we can get together!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre and Shirley, you folks drive safe and have an enjoyable trip. If you get the chance to meet up with mr/mrs Wordsmith, by all means do so. We've had that pleasure. They are truly nice people.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Well, we got off this morning around 6:30. Arrived here at Hilltop RV park near Robertsdale, Alabama just a minute after 5:00. Driving distance over 500 miles. To my surprise found not just one, but two wireless networks on which I could piggyback. So I decided to post this update. We are parked next to a Montana 2955 almost identical to ours, same year model, same color scheme, and same Texas license plates. Earlier in the day we were passed on I-20 by a Montana 2955 (I know, I know, but I had slowed down to look at the map!) We picked up speed and followed them until they turned into a rest area. Would you believe the folks next to us in this park and the ones we meet on I-20 live within a few miles of each other near Conore, Texas which is in the county of Shirley's birth and home (Montgomery County). Both very nice couples, but neither has ever been on the MOC forum. We encouraged them to correct that deficiency in their RV experience.

We will take it easy tomorrow, easing on down to St. Andrews State Park at Panama City for a couple of days. After visiting friends in Alabama on Friday, we will move on up to Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta. We are hoping to get together with Mr. and Mrs. Wordsmith.

No doubt I will sleep well tonight. What a wonderful home on the road!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
I know it seems a bit as if I am talking to myself, but then such posts as mine do not require any response. I cannot miss the opportunity to share our pleasure in meeting with "Mr. and Mrs. Wordsmith" and especially with son, John, here at Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta, GA. They are a warm, friendly, and interesting family. To meet them was proof of the meaning of the MOC forum family. We had a great time at St. Andrews State Park in Florida (Panama City) and will go on today to Northeast Georgia, and then to South and North Carolina before heading back "West toward home".
Old 05-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Britney 10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1704
David and Shirley, We all look forward to hearing all about your adventure, please keep them coming.
Britney 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:06 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have a great trip. Your posts give us some ideas about the available opportunities going east.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David and Shirley, thanks for the kind words, though from my front porch view, you two are far more interesting, certainly more adventurous! We too had a good time meeting you, and, after meeting the two of you and Steve and Vicki Reigle last month, have to agree that this is further testament to the quality of people that frequent MOC!

Stay safe as you travel into the Carolinas!
Old 05-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, we agree with you fully on your assessment of J.D., Marsha, and John. We had a very enjoyable evening with them. John is an amazingly well-mannered young man. J.D. and Marsha should be very proud of him. Plus, he beat J.D. and me at Penguin.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You guys are going through some beautiful country in NE Georgia and the Carolinas. Safe Travels.

We also recommend meeting up with fellow MOCers whenever you can. When we met Steve and Vicki last week, it was just like meeting old friends. Well, I mean, friends that we had already met. I certainly didn't mean OLD......
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Just a quick post tonight: we arrived back home around 6:00 pm after driving all day (from Columbus, GA)--just over 625 miles. I do not recommend such long drives, but when we got close to home, we could not bring ourselves to stop. I will not add any more details, but will add a longer post tomorrow. Frankly, I am too tired tonight. Have put the pickup and the Montana to bed in their stalls.

Our entire trip was almost 2400 miles in 9 days. Only the first and the last days were long and tiring.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David and Shirley, glad to hear you made it home safe and sound!
Old 05-20-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Here is a quick summary of our recent trip with some notes about campsites, etc.

Tuesday, May 10: Home to near Robertsdale, AL , 526 miles Hilltop RV Park
Internet connection found, wireless access, free

Wed, May 11: to St. Andrews State Park, Panama City, FL. 130 miles
Campsite 10 on the Lagoon, wonderful, but only available 2 nights

Fri, May 13: to Evergreen, AL A roadside park we found near I-65--not listed
Very nice place to stay to visit friends in Monroeville, AL

Sat and Sun, May 14-15: Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta 256 mile drive
Site # 335 was very nice. Best of all visit with Wordsmith family

Monday, May 16: Sunset Campground near Lavonia, GA 85 miles drive
Very nice little country campground. Would definitely recommend. Visited Ragsdale cousin.

Tuesday, May 17: Crooked Creek RV Park near Senica, SC. (only 35 miles drive)
Large "resort" type park. Phone at site. Visited friends from college days

Wednesday, May 18: Lake Pines Park near Columbus, GA a 252 mile drive
Nice small park, only one near Columbus, visited Shirley's uncle, a retired Lt.Col. US Army

Thursday, May 19: All the way home, too long 625 miles
Best place for permanent parking we have found.

Enough for here. Will list fuel mileage on another MOC forum.