Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
sueseaq

M.O.C. #19545
Send a message via AIM to sueseaq
Warranty issues 3820fk grey water tank

Sunday night our galley holding tank fell out the bottom. Problems getting a mobile tech authorized. This is a set of many problems since purchase in May. We have spent a total of 4 weeks at Lazy Days getting things fixed. Our list of things are new air conditioner because it leaked, new flooring that scratched, new countertop that was cracked, cable hookup did not work, refrigerator won't stay cold, sound system not working right, bedroom shade fell apart, refrigerator shut off when fan run. These are just some larger items. We are also waiting on approval of replacing or fixing a.piece of theater seating that has a broken base. Very frustrated with process to get things fixed between service and keystone. Are all units this bad? Love the trailer but hate the problems.

sueseaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to the world of RV'ing
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Just fixed the cable/sat hookup in my neighbors new vanleigh fifth wheel...cables hooked up wrong in convenience center and in entertainment center. Also hooked up their inverter for the residential fridge since dealer didn't check to make sure it worked. I can feel for you, shouldn't be seeing these issues, but it seems to be the new standard no matter brand. Once you sign paperwork without knowing everything is as close to perfect as possible, you have to deal with getting service time to resolve issues...sad but true.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Very true! About a month ago I had to help rework the plumbing on the biggest fanciest Class A I've ever seen because in the end it was both not hooked up right and had already had a check valve fail. Yesterday at happy hour another person with a luxury Class A was having to try and work around having no water because he had one fancy valve that controlled where the water went from his city water inlet and it had completely failed. He said this is the second time it's happened to his 9 month old rig. The first time he found the valve had been recalled and now that the replacement part has failed he's found that it also was recalled. He wasn't notified of either recall. He had to find out the hard way. Basically, no matter what you pay you have to finish finding the problems and fixing them yourself. And they wonder why we don't even look at new ones.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
S&VALLAN
Established Member

M.O.C. #19486
So far our 3820FK is working great just got to figure out the coaxial cable runs, so we can hook up the sat. Haven't had a trip yet, which is going to rectified soon.
S&VALLAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
The Impulse
Established Member

M.O.C. #19518
Yikes. I'm so sorry to hear this. We also just purchased the 3820FK and have not taken a trip yet (from MN so we are still not in RV weather yet)... lol
Please keep us posted on your progress with Keystone and the Warranty work.

2017 3820FK
First time Montana Owner
The Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Sorry to hear of your problems as it makes one feel helpless. You are definitely not alone in both your struggle to get help from Keystone and the fact that some units that make it out the door really should be classified as lemons. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw in the quality of our units. I have also had more than my share of problems and they really have not taken care of them all. There is a customer support phone number but to be honest it is pretty much lip service, in other words don't hold your breath while waiting for follow up calls or really getting much done even if they tell you that they are putting you on a special list. I have just started to fix things myself as my quality of work is way higher than most RV repair shops. I know it doesn't help your frustration and I agree we shouldn't have this many problems in a brand new rig.

Tom Marty
Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
" I have just started to fix things myself as my quality of work is way higher than most RV repair shops." ... I couldn't have said it better. I came to that conclusion years ago. A couple of times while still under warranty ... Keystone just sent me the parts direct to my house and I installed them. No surprises, no disappointments that way.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
True That! I am lucky and nothing real bad has happened to all three of my Monty's but my bad toilets, bad bolts in stairs,waste valves etc.. just did it myself if ya got the skill that is the way to go
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
" I have just started to fix things myself as my quality of work is way higher than most RV repair shops." ... I couldn't have said it better. I came to that conclusion years ago. A couple of times while still under warranty ... Keystone just sent me the parts direct to my house and I installed them. No surprises, no disappointments that way.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I'm so glad that my dealer takes about 3 days and has a crew hook the unit up and thoroughly check EVERYTHING and makes on-the-spot corrections. Then you can do your PDI and they do not rush you. After you are happy with everything they will then want to be paid. I have bought 2 new Montanas from them and it was this way both times.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
WeBeFulltime ... me and countless others surely envy your satisfaction with your dealer. Many dealers service techs are hard pressed to attach the service request sticker to your RV so they can go park it along with scores of others on the lot awaiting repairs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Found a nifty tool little bigger than a ballpoint pen at home depot in same area as coax fittings that makes tracing cable runs very easy. Tells you if voltage is present on cable, run is shorted or open. Has toner unit that you can put on cable to help you find out where it goes to. Cost was around 30, if memory I working.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Thought I would post the brand of tool in case someone wants to get one. It is a fluke networks nx2 pocket toner.