Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Nesta
Established Member

M.O.C. #2444
Toilet discharge pipe

Over the last few weeks our toilet discharge pipe has been getting blocked and filling up. I have to use a "snake" and then flush the pipe with a hose for a while. The toilet then works fine for a few days and then blocks and fills up again.
I empty the black tank and flush it routinely, every 2 or 3 days.
Has anyone got an idea what I need to do to fix this problem?
Mike and Nesta

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
You say you empty and flush the black tank every 2 or 3 days, so I am assuming you keep the valve closed the rest of the time. That is good, but I wonder if you are emptying it too soon, maybe there isn't enough water with it to help break down the solids, and flow down the sewer hose. Another thing I would check is the grade from the trailer to the sewer hookup. Is it downhill, level, or uphill?

On Edit - What about the galley and gray water tanks? Do they flow okay?
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Nesta
Established Member

M.O.C. #2444
Hi Lonnie.
Just to clarify. The pipe that is getting blocked is the one from the toilet to the holding tank. Yes I keep the discharge valve closed and the black tank is at least 2/3 full before emptying. Yes the gally and grey empty fine.
Mike
Old 12-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I would wonder if that line has enough downslope to create proper flow to the black tank. Our tank is directly under the toilet, and I just assumed they all were. Sorry, I'm not plumber enough to give you the answer.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Like Lonnie, I'm sure no expert, but seems most toilet tank/line emptying problems are from not using enough water.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We had this problem with our old Jayco.Use lots and lots of water when flushing.We were use to a recycling toilet and not using enough water and getting a clog from toilet to tank.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
Nesta
Established Member

M.O.C. #2444
Okay. thanks for the advice. We will try more water.
Mike.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
jrlepin
Established Member

M.O.C. #5916
Had the same problem last year with our 3400 RL. The snake didn't work, but an old fashion plunger cleared it up. We stopped by a Walmart and got one of those cheap plastic ones.

Jim
jrlepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We had this problem when we first got the Monty. Started using more water and that seems to help. However we also believe there may have been a snag on one of the connections. Ours is not perfectly straight, there is just a little bit of a bend and connections there. It wouldn't take much of a rough spot for the paper to stick and then everything after that piles up. We still carry the snake but may give it up since we didn't have any problems the 2 1/2 months we were out this summer.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have brought the hose in from the outside and given this pipe a good flush via the commode. Maybe that would clear things up for you. Good luck!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Nesta
Established Member

M.O.C. #2444
You know, I hate that you have had these problems too. But I'm sure glad it's not just us. Thanks everyone.

Nesta.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Do have the "Black Tank Rinser"? I couldn't tell what year your Monty is. If you don't have a rinser, you can get an adapter with a hose connection. I've seen them at Wally World and RV parts stores. In my parts catalog it is called DUAL FLUSH by Camco $21. It says it allows you to clean out your holding tank or rinse you sewer hose. It is clear plastic so you can see when it is clean.

Gee, I sound like a salesman. Hope it works for you.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have had the identical problem twice in 6+ years of full timing. Both times it was because of not using enough water. It happened when we were dry camping and trying to conserve water. Since then, when dry camping we collect all our dish water and what water we can recover while showering (Navy style shower) and pour this water into a bucket sitting by the toilet. We can then dip out as much water as we want and put it in the toilet. This works well. Nothing snags going down. It could be that we're using a combination of plenty of water and water that is a little soapy.

Works for us.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Unless you have 4 or more people using your toilet, I find it hard to believe your tank is 2/3rds to 3/4 full in just 2 or 3 days. We go a week before finding it necessary to dump.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We, too, go a week before getting the "whump" noise tat I think Orv spoke about indicating the black tank is getting full. I don't even look at the gauges any more. When the galley sink and shower stall show that the tanks are full, I empty them.

As for your snagging problem, I would check to see if there are any obstructions from plumbing glue, etc. by opening up the toilet valve and shining a flash light beam down the pipe (while holding your nose). Also, when you flush your tank, and you use your black flush connection, try running it for an hour or so with the black tank handle open, then close it for about 3 to 5 minutes and open. Try this open and closing thing 4 or 5 times. This should make sure that there is no "pyramiding" of solids in your blank tank.

When you use the snake, can you feel any obstructions? I guess the only way to check, without dismantling the plumbing pipes, is to get Roto Rooter (or similar) to come out and "scope" your system with a video camera. I have had this done in various stick houses and the cost runs about $200.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #16
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Mike & Nesta,
I have the same problem.
You first get a situation, that's when you step on the valve to flush, you get a air pocket up the pipe as the liquid is going down.
Then it starts getting worse.
You can run a snke down and it seems ok the it starts doing it again.
Then finally it will fill all the way up with liquid in the pipe.
The only way to get it to un-plug is to fill the toilet with a little water and then step on the valve to open it up a little and then plung like hell and you will hear it go woosh.
All set for a while.
It is something in the pipe that will catch toliet paper then starts to build up.
We use the right Walmart paper and plenty of water.
So we keep the plunger in the bathroom.
Use the wooden handle as a toliet paper holder, it works!!
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #17
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We had the same problem last winter in our FR Wildcat. Switched from using Angel Soft to single ply paper. Didn't have any problem after that. Heard on the forum that Angel Soft worked OK cause it breaks down fast. Switched back to Angel Soft and wow same problem in the new Monty. Going to go back to single ply paper next time we buy. Use plenty of water dump only once a week. Funny cause I can dump big rush of water comes out then stops still showed full then snaked it from the toilet with and old piece of hose a woosh all let go into the tank. That pipe from the toilet to the tank sure can hold alot. Wonder if that last sensor is in the pipe or near it? Nothing I hate more than sewage problems when it is freezin cold out...
Makes one very cranky...
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 AM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We were in South Padre with our travel trailer, I opened the blank tank valve and nuttin came out. The tank was full.
I got my rubber mallet and was banging on the drain pipe, hoping to break whatever was blocking the drain, to no avail. I really started to worry, as I didn't want to call Wally the septic tank guy out. I had my 5# Co2 tank and hose with me, so I put the hose in the toilet with the valve open, packed rags around the hose, and just cracked the valve-whoosh! ahhhhhhh, relief.
I found that we just were not using enough water with each flush. I have since flushed with mucho water and haven't had a problem since. I love the inside the tank sprayer we have, I did put one on my T.T.
The clear 90 degree discharge ell is super as well, gross, but helpful.
Related tip, I use gutter wire mesh, a semi circular wire to cradle the sewer hose, on my expandable plastic drain support. I then use Velcro strips to tie down the hose to eliminate 'crawl' of the hose.
Remember the plumbers rule 1/4" drain per foot. The solids stay with the liquids that way. I see so many hoses curled on the ground with a rise at the 90 to the ground, amazes me that they would leave the hoses that way.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:14 AM   #19
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Sounds to be like the dreaded "white pyramid" !! Not enough water to start with - the TP forms a white pyramid and solidifies just like paper mache. You have to start off with enough water in the tank to make the solids (including the paper)disperse in the water and break down.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Gina 06

We had the same problem last winter in our FR Wildcat. Switched from using Angel Soft to single ply paper. Didn't have any problem after that. Heard on the forum that Angel Soft worked OK cause it breaks down fast. Switched back to Angel Soft and wow same problem in the new Monty. Going to go back to single ply paper next time we buy. Use plenty of water dump only once a week. Funny cause I can dump big rush of water comes out then stops still showed full then snaked it from the toilet with and old piece of hose a woosh all let go into the tank. That pipe from the toilet to the tank sure can hold alot. Wonder if that last sensor is in the pipe or near it? Nothing I hate more than sewage problems when it is freezin cold out...
Makes one very cranky...
A simple test to see if you are using the correct T.P.
Put a little in a glass jar with water shake if it breaks up you are good
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote