Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
sneururer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3724
Poor Keystone Customer Service

From reading all the positive comments about Keystone Customer Service, I did not expect to have the opposite experience. This is a follow-up to a post I made recently concerning a leaking window. In that original post, I had water coming in from a driving rain storm in one of my dining room windows. I brought my coach to Pleasureland RV in St. Cloud for repair. The mechanic, Joe, did not repair the section I noticed leaking. He instead repaired another section of this window that he noticed had been leaking. That would be great, however, I still had water coming in the section I pointed out as the problem. In this particular problem area, I could see and feel the top edge of the glass which allowed water to run down inside the window. When Joe pulled away the weather seal to find out what was going on, he noticed there is approximately 4" to 5" of caulking missing from this part of the window. When he tried to repair the problem, he said the window appeared defective when it was installed in the coach. Pleasureland RV called Keystone and they would not cover the window. The coach is a 2004 - 335 RLBS Mountaineer TT and one year out of the warranty. I called Keystone myself and talked to someone in the Montana division. Although I don't know his name, the guy to whom I spoke told me that I was responsible for preventative maintenance. I pointed out to him how ludicrous that statement was because I should not have to pull away all the weather stripping to see if the caulking was properly in place. It would be different if the caulking was missing on the outer seal. He then agreed with me, but continued to tell me that the coach was out of warranty and they will not help me even though Pleasureland RV said the window was damaged from day one. I left a voice mail for his supervisor to call me back. The next day, I got a call from Tony at Keystone. He was calling on behalf of Brandon, who was the supervisor. Tony kept repeating the same thing to me "The coach is not longer in warranty and there was nothing they would do". Tony was of no help to me. His only comments to me was that I should call Kinro, the manufacturer of the window. I told Tony that if I purchased a GM or Ford product and if there was a problem with a mirror or window, I should not have to call the manufacturer of those items because Ford or GM should stand behind those products. Tony then said that he would note the problem in my file, but that was the extent of his help. When I asked to talk to Brandon, Tony's supervisor, Tony just said that Brandon would tell me the same thing because it was Brandon that asked him (Tony) to call me and tell me that Keystone would not cover the problem. Please note that I would not have a problem with covering any repairs to my coach if Pleasureland RV had not told me that the window was defective when it was installed. Tony thought that I would have noticed the problem before this time if the window was defective. I told Tony that we had not been camping in a driving rain storm until this time and my coach is stored in a pole barn when not in use.

My experience with Keystone customer service was extremely disappointing. I had considered upgrading to a Montana 5th Wheel until this time. Because of this experience, I will not purchase another Keystone product. I do plan on writing a letter to the CEO of Keystone to let him or her know this negative experience I had with the company.

Steve

Steve & Cindy Neururer
Chanhassen, MN
2004 Mountaineer 335 RLBS
2004 3/4 GMC Yukon XL 8.1 L / 4.10
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equalizer WD Hitch
Voyager 6.8" color backup monitor
Lowrance iWAY 500c GPS

sneururer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I am sorry to hear that Keystone has not been able to help you out. Might I suggest a call to the window company. There are many great companies out there that stand behind their products, even out of the warranty period.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
Good luck with your letter to the CEO. I never even got an acknowledgement from his office when I wrote him, nor did they respond to my email and that has been over a year ago. Customer service at it's best? I was tempted to write the CEO of Thor, the parent company, but did not. Unfortunately it is often easier to fix the problem yourself than go thru all the hassle to get the company to fix it.

2004 298RLS
2003 Chevy 2500HD LB Duramax/Allison
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Steve and Cindy, Same here no acknowledgement what so ever when I wrote to the CEO. There must be a big file cabinet filled with customers letters known as "No Read Complaint Letters" I would call the window maker and see what they say then go back to Keystone with their response.

2005 2955RL Montana
2002 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 Ext Cab 4x4
Bob and Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:24 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Steve,
I sent you a PM about our experiences with Keystone. Let me know how you make out.
Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:29 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Spoke to that same Tony here is his response to a bubble about 1 inch wide all the way across the roof over a seam.. Our friendly attorney will get the pictures and Keystones reply for future use.

have noted the pictures in your file for further reference. The bubble that goes from side to side is normal as long as it doesn’t inhibit the performance or seal of the roof. A dealer will have to look at the spot with the tape pointing to it and turn in an estimate of repairs to us on that problem.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote