Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Cracked Sink

Took the 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS out last weekend, and the wife noticed cracks in the right side bowl (smaller bowl) of the double bowl sink (Its a "Drop In" Plastic Style):

She swears nothing "Dropped" in it from the cupboards, and we haven't thrown anything heavy in there, or pounded any ice bags. I don't know if its from expansion, and contraction caused by the excessive heat we've been having, or if it had an internal defect.

Anyways, the good news is I emailed pictures of the cracks to the Local Dealer, and they contacted Keystone, and forwarded the picures of the cracks, and Keystone is sending a new sink for replacement (The unit is still under warranty for another month, but I was prepared to have to battle for a replacement, luckily this didn't happen).

JPB

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
That's good to hear it's being taken take care of. I need to do the same with ours. We noticed cracks in our big sink, but it is part of the counter, so I don't know what they'll do about that.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It may be just an illusion, but your picture looks to me as though the waste pipe under the sink may be pushing up from below the sink, leading to the crack. Just a thought.

Glad you were able to get it replaced without much problem.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
OntMont,

I get the same feeling from those reflections.

~~~~~~~~

JPB,

What happens if you put a little bit of water in the sink? Does it stand around the drain, closer to the vertical sides of the sink? Or run into the drain? (You don't have to test it now, since that might get the under-sink wet.) Just curious.

Have the dealer check the drainpipe's tension, (probably adjusted by cutting the length,) when they replace that sink. Might avoid a future repeat.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

It may be just an illusion, but your picture looks to me as though the waste pipe under the sink may be pushing up from below the sink, leading to the crack. Just a thought.

Glad you were able to get it replaced without much problem.
The picture is not a very good one, but there are multiple cracks, and they really don't radiate from the center (drain), and the plumbing beneath the sink is ABS with compression slip joints, It doesn't appear that the plumbing is putting excessive "Uplift" pressure on the sink. Thanks for your input.

JP
Old 07-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

OntMont,

I get the same feeling from those reflections.

~~~~~~~~

JPB,

What happens if you put a little bit of water in the sink? Does it stand around the drain, closer to the vertical sides of the sink? Or run into the drain? (You don't have to test it now, since that might get the under-sink wet.) Just curious.

Have the dealer check the drainpipe's tension, (probably adjusted by cutting the length,) when they replace that sink. Might avoid a future repeat.

Steve
While using the unit over the past weekend we avoided putting any water in that side of the sink, so I don.t know if it leaks, or not. I don't think I want to try the "Leak Test", as I have drawers, and the furnace located under the sink, which would make it a pain to clean up.

JP
Old 07-19-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
JP,

One reason I mentioned not doing it right now is because I didn't want you to drip on that stuff.

But it just looked like that drain was higher than the rest of the bottom of the sink. Even if the main crack was the one we saw, that is more crack than anyone should have to put up with. (Just call it “Zero Tolerance” for cracks!)

Out of curiosity, if you press down on the drain surround, does the piping move at all? Reason I ask is because our shower drain was being held firm by the way the piping support in our basement was secured. If we were to step right around the drain, we could feel the floor of the shower give a little, while that drain stayed solidly where it was.

Thankfully, because we had a drain leak problem, the dealer changed the drain itself, and loosened the plumbing enough so that the whole assembly moves with the floor of the shower if we step on it. I was thinking that firmness might have been responsible for our having a leak that uncovered some bad threads on the drain. It may have even caused the bad threads!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote