Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #1
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Water leak from Tank??

I have a 2014 3582RL. Yesterday I was getting ready to leave. I emptied all of my tanks as usual. Back Flushed the black tank several times. Drained both gray tanks. I went to take off and water gushed out of the Door side of the trailer from underneath. I have been using the trailer for 2 months so this is the first time I have moved the trailer. I am pretty sure the water would have came from the front gray tank because it was clear water that came out. I have checked inside the trailer and find no evidence of leaks inside. Has anybody else had this happen. I back flushed the gray tank when I arrived at todays destination but did not see any water leaking. Any Ideas?

Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
My guess is anti-siphon valve on black tank flush. Very common problem. On my unit valve is located in wall behind bathroom sink. Open cabinet doors and see if you see two or four water lines. If four two are for valve.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
The first thing I would check would be the anti-siphon.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I read this as water coming out of the belly and this indicates a water leak somewhere that drains into the bottom. Too many possibilities...time to start checking all water connections. It could also be that a split in top seam of a tank or on top of the tank. Only way to tell is drop bottom and research.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I had the same problem..turned out dealer had driven a screw into my galley tank when they put the belly back on after some warranty work. But, as previous responder said, you will have to drop the belly to observe where the water is coming from. At least it's grey water!
Old 04-05-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Water leak tank

Thanks for all of the ideas. I have checked the anti siphon valve on the black tank sprayer and no problem there. I replaced it earlier because the old one did leak water. No water leaking now. I will have to drop down the cover below and check for leaks at all of the fittings and also check the tank. Will let you know what I find.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #7
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Had grey tank that would not leak until near full. Crack in bottom of tank did not open without weight on it. Had it diagnosed twice at camping world and that said it did not leak. I dropped belly pan and of course it was leaking. This was the third tank failure I experienced. Keystone was contacted and they said they had no idea that tanks were failing. Contacted tank mfg and they would not return call. Sold Montana, never to go to camping world again and never again a Keystone product
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
15 years pulling a Montana including six years fulltime, 13 years snowbirding in Florida.. One tank failure, repaired myself. Keystone does not make their own tanks by the way, would bet plenty of other manufacturers use the same source.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have traveled and camped in RV's for 40 years with no previous tank problems ever I a variety of RV brands. Purchased the 2014 3402RL and did not have the same luck. After examining and repairing the tanks I am surprised they do not fail more often. Very light plastic material with no bottom support from the factory. Some on this site have indicated proper installation should include support straps. Three tank failures occurred while parked and not full. I avoid traveling with even partially full tanks with the exception of the fresh water. I agree other RV mfg likely use the same brand of tank however they are also built to the specifications of the RV mfg. A few cents more of quality would go a great distance in my humble opinion.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The leak described sounds more like a failure in the PEX or one of the fittings on the line to the black tank flush. Other than dropping the coroplast belly material, that should be pretty easy to repair. If the belly is removed for this, I would recommend adding additional braces across the frame, under the tanks, and install blocking to support both the grey and the black tanks. I did that to ours last year after developing a leak in the bottom of the grey tank. The first photo is of the flush line connection at the front of the black tank. The second photo is the additional braces added along with the blocking I added. One of the blocks is a 2 X 4, and the rest are blocks made from varying layers of 1/2" styrofoam I taped together. The repaired crack in the grey tank is where the black Plasti-Mend material is visible. I also added brackets so I could cable tie all the electric and hydraulic lines up.

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #11
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Bob, thanks for the advice. I appreciate the pictures. I will check my tanks and my fittings.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks for the information on the extra support for the tanks.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote