Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Landing Gear - fuse protected? breaker? or both?

After 8 hours of trying to get us out of our site in Independence, MO so we could head south, out of the ice and snow, we ran into one more hurdle.

After dropping the car off at our daughter's and having dinner with her I raised the nose of the rig and hitched up. Then I went to lower the rig onto the hitch. Nothing. Push "extend" and it extends. Push "retract" and nothing.

Vicki asks if it could be a breaker. No, honey, the landing gear is protected by a fuse. Remember when we had to change the fuse? And since it works in one direction, it's not the fuse.

Got out the hand crank and figured for the first time I'll have to hand crank it. Found the manual and located where to attach the crank. But, the crank won't go far enough onto the rod to engage the pins so I can crank the gear. Vicki again asks if I'm sure it's not a breaker. No, honey, it uses a fuse. I'm positive.

I fiddle with that crank trying to find what's keeping it from engaging. It looks fine. It's plenty deep. Must be something in there. Darned if I can figure it out. I guess we're stuck here for another night.

I need a bathroom break. While in there I notice a breaker switch has popped (I keep the cover off the panel all the time). I reset that breaker. Voila', we have both retract and extend.

So, what's the deal? Is the extend circuit protected by a fuse and the retract by a breaker?

Anybody know what's going on here?

And because I know Vicki will read this, yes, dear, you were correct. Sure seems strange to me, though.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Steve,
Are you say breaker in 120VAC breaker? If yes then I would guess that breaker is for the converter. That 12VDC motor can not accept 120VAC.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Steve,
Are you say breaker in 120VAC breaker? If yes then I would guess that breaker is for the converter. That 12VDC motor can not accept 120VAC.
I would have to agree. The breakers are A/C and the fuses are D/C.

Since you had power on Extend but not retract I am thinking it is a contact issue with switch. I think the flipping of the breaker is just a coincidence.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, it was an AC breaker. It is not the one for the converter, I'm sure of that. The one that tripped is incorrectly labeled "2 Micro." The 2 is correct but that breaker does not control the microwave. And the "micro" is lined out. Thus I don't know what that breaker controls. Someday I'll see if I can figure it out when we don't mind resetting clocks, etc.

The converter is the only thing I could think of, too. I suppose it could have been pure coincidence that the landing gear retract side started working properly when I reset that breaker but I doubt it. Next time we break camp maybe I'll remember to trip that breaker and see if the LG works properly. That won't be until mid-March. I can't remember things two hours, let alone six weeks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
rotti
Established Member

M.O.C. #10061
Look for an inline fuse between the battery and the landing gear motor. Mine is 20 amp.
rotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #6
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi steve been a while. When we left NM we had troble with the LG motor it keep blowing fuses. Eleven fuses I took it to camping world and they said the motor was bad and that they couldn't get parts since it was the 31st of Dec. The New Year all parts are not available. I needed to get to Az to the new job. When I got here I went to a RV repair shop and had them order a motor and we got the extended warentee to handle it. We had to pay for the deductable and shipping of the motor, we still haven't put it in hard duty yet. we will be leaving here the middle of march. I have been told I can install a resetalbe breaker, in line. Does anyone know if that would be adviseable or not? Thanks
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I bought a 30 amp reset-able breaker and have been using it. I found part of my fuse or breaker blowing was the 20amp switch contact getting pitted.

Yes I recommend everyone getting the reset-able breaker.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote