Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Tired of the mountains!

Northwest Georgia is absolutely beautiful, but when you live there you sometimes get tired of the mountains. I'm tired of the mountains, so I'm kidnapping a girlfriend and heading for the "Redneck Riviera" on Sunday for a week of sun and tarball picking-up.

Destination: Baldwin County, Alabama, somewhere. We'll find a nice place. If we see any Montanas in our campground, I'll knock on the door and tell them about the MOC.

patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Pat,

Have fun in the flat lands. Don't get flattened by all that partying. Happy RVing.................
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mountains? In NW GA? If those disturb you I wouldn't go any farther West than the Great Plains. We not only have much taller mountains but the roads to get through them can be 8,000 ft or more. That's taller than any part of the Eastern U.S. But I hope that doesn't stop you from visiting completely.

Kidnapping, Redneck Riviera and tarball pickup.... them sounds like some real good Southern activities. I have never done none of those.

Don't forget to flash oncoming Montanas (with the headlights - just to be clear) and see if they respond. On the road that's a popular MOCer greeting. But it does seem like this is becoming a standard greeting for all sorts of RVers.

Have fun in 'Bama and welcome to the MOC!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Art,

I hope we don't have too many tarballs! The media exaggerated the oil spill damage to the Alabama Gulf Coast (AKA Redneck Rivera for any Yankees out there), but I heard on the radio yesterday that in some areas they are still finding a few tarballs. Tourism there took a hit this winter, but hopefully that will pick up. My family used to vacation there when I was little, and I really enjoy spending time there.

We're at what we locals call the "back side" of Lookout Mountain. Not as many tourists... ha! But just a short drive to Chattanooga. I guess it's not the mountains so much, but being at home is too close to home, if you know what I mean. Time for a road trip, even a short one. As long as the swimsuits haven't shrunk too much over the winter, I'll do fine!

Our mountains here may not be a big as out West, but when the fog settles into the valleys and the peaks peek out, it's a sight never to be forgotten! I have a friend over in Young Harris, Georgia (over yonder in Georgia); she and her DH have a home with a huge covered porch that faces west. Dozens of hummingbirds swarm around the feeders at dusk. Sunsets on the porch with an adult beverage in hand are heavenly!

If I can ever find a regular travel buddy, I'd like to go out West for a long trip. I'm kind of in my comfort zone here in the Southeast and travel solo in my Montana most of the time.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Head over to the Mid-Atlantic Rally in Marion, NC in august and meet a great group of folks.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I guess every southern state has their own "Redneck Riviera". Here's a little song about our . Enjoy.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Have a nice trip been to Chat.,Tn. nice. You should put your rig info in so we know what your driving.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We're looking for a cooler place in the summer. How hot is it in NW Georgia during the summer?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patbarton

Art,

I hope we don't have too many tarballs! The media exaggerated the oil spill damage to the Alabama Gulf Coast (AKA Redneck Rivera for any Yankees out there), but I heard on the radio yesterday that in some areas they are still finding a few tarballs. Tourism there took a hit this winter, but hopefully that will pick up. My family used to vacation there when I was little, and I really enjoy spending time there.

We're at what we locals call the "back side" of Lookout Mountain.
Not as many tourists... ha! But just a short drive to Chattanooga. I guess it's not the mountains so much, but being at home is too close to home, if you know what I mean. Time for a road trip, even a short one. As long as the swimsuits haven't shrunk too much over the winter, I'll do fine!

Our mountains here may not be a big as out West, but when the fog settles into the valleys and the peaks peek out, it's a sight never to be forgotten! I have a friend over in Young Harris, Georgia (over yonder in Georgia); she and her DH have a home with a huge covered porch that faces west. Dozens of hummingbirds swarm around the feeders at dusk. Sunsets on the porch with an adult beverage in hand are heavenly!

If I can ever find a regular travel buddy, I'd like to go out West for a long trip. I'm kind of in my comfort zone here in the Southeast and travel solo in my Montana most of the time.
Just left Gulf Shores a couple weeks ago. The beach has been cleaned very well. They have actually dug down 3'to 5' in the sand and sifted it. Its very nice and beautiful there. Yes a few tarballs the size of maybe a quarter show up every now and then but they have a beach clean up every day early in the morning and do a great job.

To everyone out there, don't let the oil spill from last year make you stay away. They need the tourist to get back on there feet and its worth the trip.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
I stopped at a bank on the way to the beach and heard one of the tellers saying to a custiomer that she'd NEVER take her child to the beach, as awful as it was... Scared us to death! But the beach is pristine, at least in Gulf Shores. They did a very good job as you say, Dave.

But it's spring break week here for Mobile and Baldwin counties! Kids of all ages and sizes are everywhere! Good news, according to my girlfriend, is that there are so many teenaged girls in bikinis that no one is paying any attention to us old gals!

We are at Lazy Acres RV Park in Elberta, parked next to another Montana (not a MOC member). We won't be spending too much time in the campground. Too many beaches and flea markets!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Mountains? In NW GA? If those disturb you I wouldn't go any farther West than the Great Plains. We not only have much taller mountains but the roads to get through them can be 8,000 ft or more. That's taller than any part of the Eastern U.S. But I hope that doesn't stop you from visiting completely.

Kidnapping, Redneck Riviera and tarball pickup.... them sounds like some real good Southern activities. I have never done none of those.

Don't forget to flash oncoming Montanas (with the headlights - just to be clear) and see if they respond. On the road that's a popular MOCer greeting. But it does seem like this is becoming a standard greeting for all sorts of RVers.

Have fun in 'Bama and welcome to the MOC!
8,000 ft? Shoot, that's a piece of cake. Try Colorado I-70 to the Eisenhower Tunnel, over 13,000. Or Monarch Pass, also in Colorado, over 11,000 feet. Both of those are very doable. Shoot, back in 2003 we towed our 3295RK through Eisenhower Tunnel, from the west, with a Ford V10 gasser. Diesels were passing us but we made it just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Oh, y'all are just bragging about your mountains out west! Our Appalachian mountains are just older than your Colorado Rockies, and worn down some... But as I said before, they are beautiful! They've aged well.

I may just take a trip to your Out West mountains next year if I can do some careful vacation planning and string a few weeks together. My Chevy diesel should be able to take those hills, no problem. My brother and I took a trip to Utah and back years ago when his best friend wimped out on going with him. To my astonishment, he asked me to go with him and we had a great time. Drove west until we got to Bryce Canyon National Park, then headed home. I could do that again (without my brother this time).
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Pat,
I lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains for years and even though the Appalachian's are beautiful, they are nothing like the mountains out west.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Pat, you should venture out west, that's where we are headed in.. well; 4 months 21 days 3 hours and 51 seconds, if not earlier.
We also want to hit your general area some time, sounds like great country. We did do the Alabama tour, liked it but still can't get the picture out of my head of the mosquito's that were completely covering the screens on the Monte trying to get in. Like Hitchcock's 'Birds' Yuck.
See ya on the road Pat.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree those mountains in the east are beautiful! One of my very favorite national parks is The Great Smokey Mountains NP.

I've said before, though, the scenery in the East is beautiful but the scenery in the west is stunning. This is truly a beautiful country. And, of course, there are exceptions to my comments!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:42 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I've been over the mountains out west and in north Georgia. For anybody that thinks Georgia mountains are easy, drag your camper over then then tell us how easy they are. The are harder to pull a camper over than any I have ever been over out west.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #17
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Pat

I have a couple of friends that are going to be in Florabama next week, sounds like quite some fun. Don't know how far it is but I'm sure you must know of it. Wish I was going.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote