Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #21
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I see you made your choice. Just wanted to add a little tidbit. When backing and maneuvering your RV into a parking spot, put the truck in 4WD Low. The extra torque will push or pull the RV without touching the gas. All you need to do is steer and brake.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is another option that can come in handy IF you need it. We have the 4X4 and we have needed it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #23
Cheezy1
Established Member

M.O.C. #17779
I purchased a new chev 3500HD single rear wheel truck to pull my new 3720RL in 2015. Unloaded pin weight of the trailer was 2580 lbs. Loaded the trailer weighed 15000 lbs. I. had pin weight of 3400 lbs. I weighed the unit on a CAT scale and was alarmed to find I was 450 lbs. over weight according to the sticker on the door post. I traded that truck in for a 2016 3500 with DRW. I wasn't going to take a chance on getting in an accident and being sued because I was over weight. Both trucks were 4x4 and there have been times I needed the four wheel drive to pull my trailer in Sandy locations. Make sure you have enough truck. Tires can only handle 3500 lbs each on SRW truck.
Cheezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #24
traveldawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #20786
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I see you made your choice. Just wanted to add a little tidbit. When backing and maneuvering your RV into a parking spot, put the truck in 4WD Low. The extra torque will push or pull the RV without touching the gas. All you need to do is steer and brake.

Thanks for tip, Jerry.
traveldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #25
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
This had been discussed previously. 4x4 is a necessary evil for me, even in FL. I got stuck on wet grass in my storage lot, and once in a muddy CG. Both instances might have required a tow.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #26
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sort of like an On-board Generator, may not use it much, but sure is great to push a button and have it.
Have used ours more that once in wet camp grounds and a few times to back up a grade into that perfect spot.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #27
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I love putting it in 4WD and releasing the brake, no gas needed to put the trailer where you need it, even if uphill.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #28
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
It's all about he "coolness" factor. 4 x 4 all the way.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung47 View Post
It's all about he "coolness" factor. 4 x 4 all the way.
I know a guy who is really cool. He bought a 3500 Duramax/Allison 2wd, then added a 4 x 4 decal set. So everybody thinks he's cool, yet has no disadvantages of a 4 x 4.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #30
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
My previous truck was 4 x 4 and didn't need it for 7 years. Current truck is 4 x 2 and haven't needed it for 3 years. Friends asked what I will do when I get up and there is snow on the ground and I tell them I just pour another cup of coffee and watch them drive off to work.
Right on
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #31
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
I know a guy who is really cool. He bought a 3500 Duramax/Allison 2wd, then added a 4 x 4 decal set. So everybody thinks he's cool, yet has no disadvantages of a 4 x 4.
I'm saying this with a grin/smile on my face my friend.

Who takes pictures with someone else's fish and claims it is their trophy?

What are the DISADVANTAGES of 4x4??
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #32
gkonney
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19870
Hello there Dawg, We are Newbies and just by extreme LUCK our leftover 2016 is a Legacy Edition. Check out our new Registry info and Truck! I have always been a GM Guy, love the Duramax but one drive in the new Ford Platinum Edition sold me! This Truck was made to pull a 5th wheel.I think just about anywhere you live 4 wheel drive will hold its value better. The construction Guys in my area drool over our Truck and are waiting for the day when we are waiting to sell it! They don't want to pay the $$$ for a new one.
Good luck!
You can follow us at: https://campingkonneys.wordpress.com/
gkonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #33
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I'm saying this with a grin/smile on my face my friend.

Who takes pictures with someone else's fish and claims it is their trophy?

What are the DISADVANTAGES of 4x4??
1. Heavier:
- Reduced fuel mileage.
- Reduced cargo capacity.
- Reduced towing capacity.
- Reduced performance.
2. Increased initial cost.
3. Increased maintenance time.
4. Increased maintenance cost.
5. Worse ride.
6. Harder to get in.
7. Increased noise and vibration.
8. A 4 x 4 will get stuck farther off the road than a 2 x 4.
9. If you're a techy, tight corner braking phenomenon.

Yes it will be worth more at resale time, but no where near enough to make up for the much higher initial cost and the maintenance costs over the years.

It's all up to the individual and how he wants to spend his money.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 PM   #34
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
It mostly depends where you live. If you mainly drive in Arizona, then you will probably never need it, unless you go off roading in the mud, and if you live near snow like I do in Tahoe, it is a must have, and the resale value will be higher here than if you are trying to sell your 4x4 in Arizona
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is all a personal choice. What’s right for me may not be right for you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #36
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
1. Heavier:
- Reduced fuel mileage.
- Reduced cargo capacity.
- Reduced towing capacity.
- Reduced performance.
2. Increased initial cost.
3. Increased maintenance time.
4. Increased maintenance cost.
5. Worse ride.
6. Harder to get in.
7. Increased noise and vibration.
8. A 4 x 4 will get stuck farther off the road than a 2 x 4.
9. If you're a techy, tight corner braking phenomenon.

Yes it will be worth more at resale time, but no where near enough to make up for the much higher initial cost and the maintenance costs over the years.

It's all up to the individual and how he wants to spend his money.
We could discuss this topic for days my friend.
1. If your worried about fuel mileage you should NOT be driving a pickup truck much less pulling a 5th wheel!
2. Initial cost is minimal and recovered at trade in. If you live in the South like I do it is more than recovered!
3/4. I worked for two different major companies. The fleet managers (who bought and sold thousands of vehicles) indicated to me that there was very little difference between cost of ownership of a 2x4 and a 4x4. In fact, with the trade in difference 4x4 was actually less expensive over the life of the unit! I'll take the wisdom of those fleet managers over either of us
5. You haven't ridden in a 4x4 in the last 10 years have you? I can't tell the difference in the ride but then I am no powder puff. Now if you put gumbo mudders and a lift kit on one then yeah they ride rougher. You pulling a 5th wheel or going mudding?
6. My wife is 5'2". She has no trouble getting into our 4x4! Besides you ever hear of running boards? Face it a 1 ton is going to be tall even if it is 2x4 get over it already shorty....I will admit I am 6'2" so I don't get this one....
7. Again have you ridden in a new 4x4? Besides if you have any sense you would have a diesel. Road noise, I can't hear it over the engine LOL......Get a good radio and deal with it your in a T R U C K!!!
8. Only if your an idiot! If your getting stuck with the 2x4 shift to 4x4 and get the heck out of where your at!!! Those guys that think they are bulletproof in a 4x4 would get just as stuck in a 2x4. It isn't the truck it's their brain...
9. Ok I have to admit that I don't know exactly what your talking about. Maybe the way a truck in 4x4 has a hard time cornering? You do know you can shift a 4x4 into 2x4 right?????

This is fun keep it up and have a nice day.....
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #37
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
My last two trucks have been 4X4s as was my Tahoe before them. One reason was I had a 7,000 lb boat try getting that out of the water on a wet slick boat ramp with a two wheel drive vehicle.

My RV cover on the side of the stick house has an up hill approach on crushed rock. Sometimes I can get the rig up under the cover in two wheel drive but most of the time it takes four wheel drive to do the job.

As for the above list well let's see.
Heavier yep a few pounds.
Fuel mileage yep 1 mile to the gallon less.
Towing capacity less nope don't see that.
Cargo capacity less yep. But I would rather get there than be able to carry more and not be able to get there.
Increase initial cost yep. More equipment more cost.
Increase maintenance cost Nope drove my F250 99,000 mile before I traded it in and never had to do anything to the front drive system.
Worst ride. Well that is subjective I done't think so but some mite.
Harder to get in to? You have to be kidding.
Increase noise again subjective. I have driven both and I can't hear or feel any noticeable difference. But that's just me.
Where one gets stuck is just a saying means nothing.
Braking phenomenon??

But I guess one can justify anything.

As for me I like my 4X4 with all its disadvantages.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 AM   #38
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Maybe the best way to say it is the advantages of 4x4 outweigh the disadvantages to the majority of people. Where I live the only folks that buy 2x4 are the ones that can't afford the difference for the 4x4.

Granted if you stay exclusively where the sun is always shining and the roads are paved then you can do without the 4x4. But what is the fun in that? I want to take my kayak down to the river and hunt up in the backwoods and out to the beach..........LIVE LIFE 4x4 LARGE my friends!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #39
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We could discuss this topic for days my friend.
1. If your worried about fuel mileage you should NOT be driving a pickup truck much less pulling a 5th wheel!
2. Initial cost is minimal and recovered at trade in. If you live in the South like I do it is more than recovered!
3/4. I worked for two different major companies. The fleet managers (who bought and sold thousands of vehicles) indicated to me that there was very little difference between cost of ownership of a 2x4 and a 4x4. In fact, with the trade in difference 4x4 was actually less expensive over the life of the unit! I'll take the wisdom of those fleet managers over either of us
5. You haven't ridden in a 4x4 in the last 10 years have you? I can't tell the difference in the ride but then I am no powder puff. Now if you put gumbo mudders and a lift kit on one then yeah they ride rougher. You pulling a 5th wheel or going mudding?
6. My wife is 5'2". She has no trouble getting into our 4x4! Besides you ever hear of running boards? Face it a 1 ton is going to be tall even if it is 2x4 get over it already shorty....I will admit I am 6'2" so I don't get this one....
7. Again have you ridden in a new 4x4? Besides if you have any sense you would have a diesel. Road noise, I can't hear it over the engine LOL......Get a good radio and deal with it your in a T R U C K!!!
8. Only if your an idiot! If your getting stuck with the 2x4 shift to 4x4 and get the heck out of where your at!!! Those guys that think they are bulletproof in a 4x4 would get just as stuck in a 2x4. It isn't the truck it's their brain...
9. Ok I have to admit that I don't know exactly what your talking about. Maybe the way a truck in 4x4 has a hard time cornering? You do know you can shift a 4x4 into 2x4 right?????

This is fun keep it up and have a nice day.....
As a matter of fact, I rode in a Silverado 4 x 4 Friday, went and got some fire wood, didn't need the 4wd option. *Fine truck...a bit noisy, rough riding, and couldn't load our normal amount of wood due to the reduced cargo capacity, but okay. *You guys want 4 x 4, fine, knock your selves out, I certainly don't care...your truck, your decision. *But it's impossible to have a discussion with people who refuse to look at and acknowledge facts (that even a salesman would admit) and don't want the facts to interfere with their bias. *I'm done with this thread.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
As a matter of fact, I rode in a Silverado 4 x 4 Friday, went and got some fire wood, didn't need the 4wd option. *Fine truck...a bit noisy, rough riding, and couldn't load our normal amount of wood due to the reduced cargo capacity, but okay. *You guys want 4 x 4, fine, knock your selves out, I certainly don't care...your truck, your decision. *But it's impossible to have a discussion with people who refuse to look at and acknowledge facts (that even a salesman would admit) and don't want the facts to interfere with their bias. *I'm done with this thread.
Now don't be that way TL.....Be cheerful this is all in good fun
I learned how to drive on a case tricycle tractor cutting fire wood. Dad would say come on boy lets go get some wood you can drive the tractor. Mean time he was working my backside off LOL.....

It's a good thing you fellers used a 4x4 to go get that wood. Would be a shame when you bogged down the 2x4 to the rear axle and had to call someone with a 4x4 to pull ya out

But sincerely, there is no need to get all upset. Guys have been arguing the ups and downs of which truck was best since they invented trucks.....I am sure they had debates about which stone was better to throw at dinosaurs back in the day for that matter LOL...We may disagree but in the end there is no reason why we still can't be friends......