Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Goodyear Tires

I just pulled my old G16's off and replaced them with new G16's account Goodyear says they are American made and I've had absolutely no problem with them. I replaced them account they are 5 years old and 5 years is about my limit on RV tires. Tires are so much less expensive than tires AND repairs.

I know this board is mostly crazy about the Sailuns but I just couldn't bring myself to do that so I stayed with the OEM brand. I 'spect not many folks will welcome another tire thread but life is short and there is much to say about tires and the overloading thereof.

Buckle up and drive safely!

hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When we finally had enough with the China Goodyear Marathons in 2013, the Sailuns were just coming out and were hard to find, so the decision was easy, Goodyear G614's, though not cheap, but they have been very good and are fairly easy to replace when needed, plus they are USA made. We have had a bearing failure and some suspension issues that have made replacements occasionally needed, but it has never been a tire issue.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even though I had an old one blow, I'm a fan of 614's. Sailuns came on the new rig so we'll see what I do when they should be replaced.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #4
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
When we finally had enough with the China Goodyear Marathons in 2013, the Sailuns were just coming out and were hard to find, so the decision was easy, Goodyear G614's, though not cheap, but they have been very good and are fairly easy to replace when needed, plus they are USA made. We have had a bearing failure and some suspension issues that have made replacements occasionally needed, but it has never been a tire issue.
Bearing failure. A whole other issue for me but not yet with the RV or TV ... yet.

I have extensive experience with bearing failures on the trucks I run in the oil field. They don't fail from lack of lubrication but from internal defects in the manufacturing process.

A few years ago we suddenly started having drive shaft failures that we had never (ever) experienced with new installs and normal replacements. These are solid shafts that run winches and pumps. Yes the winches can place a load on everything including their drive shafts but the vacuum and gear pumps cannot use enough power to daunt an inch and a quarter shaft but they would break as clean as if cut with a saw. All do to imported materials. We now specify American made metals and our problems with shafts and bearings have largely ceased other than the foreign made bearings that have not yet failed they have all weeded themselves out.

Tires is another issue and we have not found any brand that will stand up to sidewall cutting, occasional overloading, stumps, rocks, fence posts, driver error or age. We do specify cut and chip tires for steer axles and drivers to extend their lives in our on/off/no road application. We no longer cap any tire over 3 years of age and if one makes it to 6 years it comes off because of the afore mentioned damage done by not doing so.

When you see the 'gators on the highway you can imagine the damage they can do to equipment when they let go from the casing and if anyone is following too closely they can be involved in that tire failure as well as anyone that runs over that 'gator.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had 2 sets of G6-14s on this 13 3402 big sky. The OEM G6 14s although in good shape came off in 5 years they are now on a boat trailer. The fact is we have had 6 RV's over the years with many different brands of tires including the infamous Missions and have never had a tire failure.The G6 14s are a good tire and have served us well the are other brands just a good.We chose the G6 14's..That's it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
614s are a good reliable choice.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Our 2015 3440RL came with G614's from the factory. We had great service with this tire on our 2005 2955RL. This tire is designed for heavy trailering and it shows. Very happy with them.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We went with the Sailun tires because of price compared to the Michelin I have bought in the past. The Sailun's seem to have good record so far and are overkill for my 3000RK and we see if it was the right move.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
hosssmith I called to order some OHFC copper a few years ago. OHFC is a very pure grade copper without any oxygen. The person I was ordering it from ask do you wont American or Japanese copper. I answered I wont the good stuff the American. He answered then you wont the Japanese it’s the good stuff.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The GY's seem to be the standard by which others are judged. Not to say others won't hang in there but proper care and attention is required for any tire. You just can't set it and forget it with rv tires.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
stay with the OEM brand? Sailuns is the OEM brand now on many of the montanas.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
The GY's seem to be the standard by which others are judged. Not to say others won't hang in there but proper care and attention is required for any tire. You just can't set it and forget it with rv tires.
I am not sure I would go as far as they are the standard by which others are judged. How soon we forget how terrible the g614's were. Granted they have improved, but the standard ??

Their issues seem to continue, read my thread on the Sailun failure, which has been pretty well established as a road hazard, you will see another G614 on that thread with a blowout.

I will stick to the Sailun's until proven wrong, so far that is not happening .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
As many know on here I lost a Sailun tire outside Kingman, Az. earlier this month. Although the Sailun at one time may have been hard to find. I called a Big O in Kingman, they had a fresh Sailun tire, and was replaced ,and I was back on the road .

Probably a little less convenient , but they can also be ordered , and be shipped anywhere within a few days.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
That's funny.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #15
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
The Goodyear's are the reason the Sailun's got a foothold in the first place. The Goodyear's are a good tire now but to say they are the standard by which other's are judged is a little over statement. I would think there are more Sailun's sold on Montana's judging by this forum than Goodyear's. This may be because of the price but the Sailun's have nothing else to prove as they have gone several years now and million's of miles with an excellent reputation and don't have to take a back seat to the Goodyear's or anyone else's tire. Sailun's have proven you can have quality without breaking the bank.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sailun's are on the Montana line because they are less expensive.I dd not say not as good I said less expensive by changing from G614 to Sailuns Keystone saved very big bucks. I would purchase either brands.Sailuns were a hassle to get when we were replacing our G614's but the G614 were on the shelf. BTW two Montana's not a tire problem regardless of brand and 4 previous TT's not a tire problem.......yet.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Sailun's are on the Montana line because they are less expensive.I dd not say not as good I said less expensive by changing from G614 to Sailuns Keystone saved very big bucks. I would purchase either brands.Sailuns were a hassle to get when we were replacing our G614's but the G614 were on the shelf. BTW two Montana's not a tire problem regardless of brand and 4 previous TT's not a tire problem.......yet.

Rich, I see many voice their concerns about availability. I only make the argument is because they are not hard to get at all.

Not even sure why I bother to debate this Goodyear, Sailun tire thing. My reasoning ,I guess ,is I was around when those G614's were blowing up, and tearing up our fifth wheels. They were pretty much the only game in town for a G rated RV tire at one time Many were also going to an LT truck tire at the time for an alternative to the cheap OEM ST tires that were coming on our fifth wheels , that were also blowing up ,and tearing things up. But the LT's never covered the weight rating of our 7K axles, and that was a concern.

Now we do have a choice with the Sailun, and as much as some fight the idea of a tire made in China, there is no denying its a quality tire, and time has proven that now . Another thing some should consider , its been reported that the Sailun will be building two plants in the US.Hopefully the prices will remain somewhat the same, and thats wishful thinking .
Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #18
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
richffa, You have been really blessed to have that may trailers with no tire problems. I hope you can keep that going.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:32 AM   #19
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They are both great tires, close your eyes or spin a bottle and pick one.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like i Said Lynwood is a wise man. What I said was the Sailuns were hard to get WHEN I was replacing my G6 14's.Yes I could get them but I chose to get the G6 14s that were in stock. We have had Montana's since 2006 and I do not recall a rash of G614 problems although there was another GY tire that did have problems. I am not debating tires they are both good tires and we all have a choice my choice was the G614. We have had coopers and General tires on our Montanas . We did change out the infamous OEM missions on our 06 3400 before thy had a chance to fail our previous 4 Rvs were much lighter TT,s and the brands I remember were marathons, and cooper. We were light users of those RV,s. We have a total of over 104K miles on two montana's without a tire issue...thus far. We do have the TST system we maintain and inspect the tires and we change them out every 5 years regardless of wear. Please the tire of your choice that best meets the needs of the RV and your travel mode.