Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
pokypa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6164
Florida Bound

My wife and I would like to stay a month or more in the central part of Florida this Jan 2007. Need help in selecting the right campground. You guys have been a great help. Looking for some good suggestions.

pokypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well you came to the right place. We have a number of folks here in central Florida that may be able to point you in the right direction. When you say "central part of Florida" exactly where do you want to be? Central, meaning Disney/Orlando area, East coast meaning Daytona/Canaveral area, West coast meaning Tampa/Clearwater area?

BUT(take note of the big BUT) a month in January is going to be a tough one. Most all Florida RV parks will be FULL by January and will remain so through February by us Snowbirds.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
pokypa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6164
Any of the central part of Fla. would be OK.
pokypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
pokypa, We stayed at Ocala Ranch rv park in may this year. Its just one exit south of ocala on I-75 (marion Oaks exit) turn Right 1/4 mile on right. We only Stayed two nights but it was pretty nice.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Has anyone visited Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park in Crystal River? It is on our "to investigate" list in anticipation of retirement and winters away from the Great White North.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Rock crusher is where friends of ours stay. We have not been there, but from the pictures, it is nice. we also stayed at ocala RV Ranch and that is another good site. We try to go further south in the center of the state near Wachula. There are several nice campgrounds in the Wachula, Bowling Green, Arcadia area. Since were part of the Thousand Trails camping Club, NACO has a campgrounds at Wachula. It is also in RPI. Nice campgrounds, but only part of it has full hookups. You may have to wait a day or two to movinto a full hookup site.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have a friend that is a workamper at Rock Crusher. I stayed there last year. It is a very nice park, big sites. Nice facilities and the price was better than further south. They had sites available during Jan. and Feb. last year. I go further south to Palm Harbor, the temp is a little warmer, closer to the water, etc.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We were at Rock Crusher and loved it.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the sites.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have also stayed at Rock Crusher in Crystal River. It is a very nice park with large sites. However it does get a little colder in that area than it does around Orlando. We are at Encore Lake Magic (listed under Clermont in Trailer LIfe) just 6 miles from Disney property. This is our second winter here. Am not sure if they are totally booked for January or not. You can check it out at http://www.rvonthego.com/default.asp
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #10
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Surprised to read Florida has a canyon, a native down there told me the highest place in Florida was the freeway overpass.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c5racer

Surprised to read Florida has a canyon, a native down there told me the highest place in Florida was the freeway overpass.
Well I think it's actually a quarry. That's part of the reason for the name Rock Crusher.

and the highest place in Florida was the freeway overpass. Better known as the Sunshine Skyway and that's quite possible at close to 200' of vertical clearance there ain't many things taller in Florida. I cross the bridge twice a day Monday through Friday and I still love the view.

Here's a few pics..

Old 12-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Thanks to all for your response. We will definitely keep Rock Crusher on our "to check out" list. We also have Arcadia on our list - Cross Creek to be specific. We used to spend a good deal of time in the Venice/Bradenton areas when my aunt and uncle were alive and did the Route 70 trek across the state to the my wife's family's place in Pompano Beach (before they improved Alligator Alley). Also had another uncle who, legend has it, cut a wide swath through the young female population of Arcadia back in WWII when there was some sort of Air Force facility there. He is now deceased and I am too old to be a problem ... so hope they will let us in for a look at Cross Creek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Old 12-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Glenn and Lorraine ...

Many thanks for the pictures. It certainly looks like a place that appeals to our "woodsy" preferences.

Bill & Ann
Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
RVFireFighter,

Our sister & husband are moving to Palm Harbor in a week. Can you recommend a few RV parks in the area? We also are making plans for retirement and winters out of the north, Indiana
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote