Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
TS_JF

M.O.C. #23413
Inverter install location?

We just had the dealership install a Cummins Onan propane generator, batteries, solar panels and a 3000w inverter. We were surprised to find the inverter installed in the storage bay. Expected it to be installed in the Batteries compartment. Is there any reason why the inverter should not be installed in the battery compartment?

TS_JF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
First - welcome to the forum!

Inverters are typically installed in the battery compartment. As long as the 12 volt cables between your battery bank and the inverter are kept fairly short and are heavy gauge to prevent line loss an installation in your garage should work fine.

It could have been an issue of space with the genny and charge controller for your solar taking up space in the battery compartment.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Inverters are installed in both locations due to different constraints and limitations. The most important one being the requirement to keep the cables between the batteries and the inverter as short a distance as possible. Sometimes there are weight considerations. Some also are concerned about the electronics being in the same compartment as battery gases if you are using PbSO4.

In our installation the length of the 4/0 cables was highest on my priorities list so I found room over my Onan firewall shroud that would have just been dead space. I was also concerned about the OSB used for the forward bulkhead and its ability to hold the weight of my inverter bouncing down the road. A couple of pieces of 1-5/8" unistrut sandwiched on both sides distributed the weight nicely. Oh and no issues with gassing.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
I have been told to install the inverter in the storage bay (on the other side of the dividing wall from the front compartment where the batteries are) so as to prevent the inverter from possibly sparking any battery gasses.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
klewis6787
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23375
On our 381TH with the residential fridge the inverter is in the compartment next to the battery compartment from the Factory.
klewis6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I think it would be a good idea to keep the inverter away from the heat produced by the generator.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Factory installed inverter in pass through storage, on the ceiling with cables as short as possible
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
According to all the sights I've been on researching solar & inverters they all state never put inverter in battery bay but on wall separating batteries with the shortest cable run on 12 volt side.
Lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
According to all the sights I've been on researching solar & inverters they all state never put inverter in battery bay but on wall separating batteries with the shortest cable run on 12 volt side.
This has been defacto standard line because all that existed in the RV world has been lead acid batteries fior the longest time. With smaller factory installed inverters dedicated to powering residential refrigerators the basement or pss through overhead works fine due to the very light weight of those small inverters. When it comes to 3000 watt or larger inverter those aluminum joists are not likely to support the weight. If your batteries are properly vented or sealed or lithium installing the inverter within the front compartment is fine. In my coach there is no vertical partition between the battery area and the generator or front storage area. When the coach is gen prep’d the metal shroud provides a physical barrier between the two area within the compartment. The compartment also has a fair amount of ventilation however this maybe an unintended outcome. Again if your lead acid batteries are installed properly within a box that has the ability to evacuate vented gases outside of the compartment you have no problem.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote