Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farmboy

OZZ, not to say anything bad about your HAV skills, but I would want mine installed and operating right the first time just as you would of me if I was a tradesman working on something that you were paying me to do. We all have our skills and disiplines. That is my view of hitching and unhitching my rv and it has worked for 5 years for me.
I do not understand what you are talking about. I did install mine correctly, and it did it's job. The first time. The air-bag and chock was what I had trouble with.
If you don't want a bedsaver, that's fine. I like mine and am glad I got it. Am I missing something?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Lynne-- Come down to the Central Plains Regional Rally in July and we'll work on that problem of no contact when they come down for their presentation!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:

OZZ, not to say anything bad about your HAV skills, but I would want mine installed and operating right the first time just as you would of me if I was a tradesman working on something that you were paying me to do. We all have our skills and disiplines. That is my view of hitching and unhitching my rv and it has worked for 5 years for me.
I do not understand what you are talking about. I did install mine correctly, and it did it's job. The first time. The air-bag and chock was what I had trouble with.
If you don't want a bedsaver, that's fine. I like mine and am glad I got it. Am I missing something?
So, Ozz, what's the story? I have read through the posts on this topic and can't figure this one out???? Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #24
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I purchased our bed saver after an incident where I got somewhat careless and in a hurry. I was fortunate that it didn’t amount to any costly damage. I had the jacks real close to the ground when it happened therefore reducing everything to very minimal damage. The bed saver gives me added security just having it back there as well as while traveling down the road. The only down side I’ve seen to it is that it may take a little extra time while hooking up or disconnecting but only a minor inconvenience.

As John stated about the motorcycle riders I’ve also heard that stated about fifth wheel owners. I personally know someone who was very methodical in how he planned things. I would have never thought something like that would have happened to him; but it did costing him a lot of damage to a new truck.

I don’t recall any incidents since getting one where I actually needed it but should I trade the truck or get a different hitch I would still want to have one just for the added security it gives.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #25
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
BTW....when we ordered the Blue Ox, DH took pics of our hitch, Etc and took measurements for the Blue Ox people. They drilled holes and customized our bedsaver so it would fit our exact specifications. Great people to work with.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:

So, Ozz, what's the story? I have read through the posts on this topic and can't figure this one out???? Michael
It left me puzzled, I am lost on this one.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #27
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Thanks for all the honest feedback. I will install one as soon as possible. Talked to the Blue folks and we will do a form, fit and function on my 18k superglide. They will send me a kit or I will stop by their location this summer, talks continue.
I am a 30 year Air Force vet and former aircrew member. I've lived with checklist my entire career. That said, we all make bonehead moves that the best checklist will not help. All us vets may know it as something other than bonehead moves.
Some of us need to chill and get a hug. No reason to get jiggy over a bedsaver thread.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #28
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Question.....I have a 20K Valley hitch. It has a small indicator on the front of the hitch (facing the cab) that shows when the hitch is engaged or not. It clearly shows when the kingpin is engaged. Has anyone have any experience with this hitch? Are these indicators a good thing? Are they reliable since they are connected to the locking mechanism?

The Blue Ox is a great product, but with all products, they are not perfect. I had a Blue Ox tow bar and one leg unscrewed itself inside the leg and failed. As I went down a big hill, the tow bar failed, my Dodge Durango came loose and slammed into the MH all the way down the hill. If you look close at the new Blue Ox tow bars, you will see a pin preventing the leg from unscrewing. That is the "Captain Joe" pin. Blue Ox covered everything.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"OK all you knowledable RV'ers. Why the NEED of a "bedsaver"? Is it because of hitch failures or the wife made me do it excuses for being a bonehead?
Mike

Easy answer.. The primary reason that people drop their camper is..... Unless perfect people make mistakes and we are all people. No one who has dropped their camper did it on purpose or because they were paying attention. Although I am as close to perfect as one can get I do have a bedsaver because I am a people.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #30
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe-- Sorry you had that problem with the TT hitch but that's what Blue Ox does and I've never had any problems with them at all. I think you need to hook up the Monte in July and head North to Nebraska (Hey that has a ring to it- I think I've heard something similar somethere--LOL) and come on up for the Rally! You're close to us so why not!
Mike-- Glad you have been in contact with Blue Ox on a bedsaver while you're going to be in the area. I haven't forgot you about the campground suggestions either. I'm trying to figure out the best places for you and your travels. I also agree with you about cooling it here about the thread. It's only a thread and not some major do or die thing! Since you're going to be in the area maybe you cam attend the Central Plains Regional Rally also and we can meet face to face! One Air Force vet to another!
Rich-- Gee I thought I was the only one in that perfect person catagory! LOL You're right nobody does that drop trick on purpose(except for possibly me when I tested my new bedsaver--) but it does happen and it sneeks up on you without any warning!!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #31
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Rondo....that's because Nebraska rhymes with Alaska

We are thinking about it....thanks for the invite. It is just that July is by busiest time of the year for fish tournaments and guiding.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Joe! I knew it was something like that! Keep us inmind when July come up! We have fish up here too!! lol
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #33
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Don't you just love the honesty of a retired Marine, notice he didn't say he was busy WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just to clear up the one post with farmboy and I. We talked and all is well on the Montana Forum, I understand, now that we had a very pleasant discussion.
It is not easy for me I know, to get out what I mean clearly.
When two People are face-to face it is easier to converse, your body language, smiles, frowns, all help us understand.
Not so easy on the Forum.
farmboy; John and I are cool.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will admit that all of the above reasons are valid reasons for the bedsaver. But for many of us it is a matter of priorities (for a further explanation - priorities is defined as when the DW sees the need for another thing that costs money!!). I need a bedsaver, I need a TPMS, I need an autostart switch for the generator, I need a rear-view camera system, I need many things, but to date I have a generator (DW understood that need to keep the pets comfortable in the rig when travelling), I have a camera system (DW was always uncomfortable not knowing who was tailgating 60 feet in back of her seat), I don't yet have the bedsaver, the TPMS, or the autostart. Until I get them, I will start the generator by hand, I will check the tires every chance I get, and I will check and double check the hitch connection. So far, have been blessed with no drops, but fully understand the value (as insurance or whatever). Fortunately, I was able to convince her for the need (want??) of a dock extension (thank goodness she likes boating), I was also able to convince her of the TPMS need and the autostart controller for the generator, both of those will be coming out of the tax refund this year. Bedsaver will have to wait for next year so keep your fingers crossed for us!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #36
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Wait a minute, fishing is work. Especially when I bring the checks home to the DW. When I stop bringing home checks, then she will know it is no longer work.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #37
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
But is it really Work, when you're doing something you really enjoy??
Old 01-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
That is what work is suppose to be. Take Ozz. He does HVAC, etc., for a living, but his posts (job related) are filled with joy and enthusiasm. If you can't love work, you can't love life. Wow....that came out of me?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #39
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I agree, that's the reason I'm no longer working. Stopped being fun and was no longer enjoyable. Became a real pain in the "You know what". We're planning on making the most of the Monty this coming season.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #40
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I will admit that all of the above reasons are valid reasons for the bedsaver. But for many of us it is a matter of priorities (for a further explanation - priorities is defined as when the DW sees the need for another thing that costs money!!). I need a bedsaver, I need a TPMS, I need an autostart switch for the generator, I need a rear-view camera system, I need many things, but to date I have a generator (DW understood that need to keep the pets comfortable in the rig when travelling), I have a camera system (DW was always uncomfortable not knowing who was tailgating 60 feet in back of her seat), I don't yet have the bedsaver, the TPMS, or the autostart. Until I get them, I will start the generator by hand, I will check the tires every chance I get, and I will check and double check the hitch connection. So far, have been blessed with no drops, but fully understand the value (as insurance or whatever). Fortunately, I was able to convince her for the need (want??) of a dock extension (thank goodness she likes boating), I was also able to convince her of the TPMS need and the autostart controller for the generator, both of those will be coming out of the tax refund this year. Bedsaver will have to wait for next year so keep your fingers crossed for us!!
Bingo
Agree, Bingo...with so many things I would like to have, have to start with those that I really need...like a good (?) bottle of wine with my pizza tonight!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote