Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
DTV changeover - lots of problems

Unfortunately for me, until today I had ASSUMED that my 2007 Mountaineer 307RKD had a modern digital television installed. It came with an RCA Model 24V412T television "built-in" to the entertainment center cabinet. After doing some on-line checking, I see that this TV has an "analog" tuner, which means I will need a converter box. The big problem, however, is that this thing is mounted into the cabinet with one screw on top, and two screws on the bottom running thru the cabinet shelf into the bottom of the TV. Again, unfortunately for me, the bozos who installed it rounded off the screw heads, making it nearly impossible to remove the screws. I have tried screw extractors to no avail. I guess my only option now is to drill out the screw heads, raise the tv enough to get a hacksaw blade under the tv, and cut off the screws. What a mess, all because some knucklehead used an impact wrench to install two screws. I don't suppose there is any other way to install the converter box without getting to the back of the tv, is there? Any suggestions to install the box, or to get these bottom screws out, would be greatly appreciated. I guess they installed the cheapest tv they could find that would fit in the hole. Thanks for letting me vent, and help me if you can.

dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Have you tried square headed bits? A square head screw driver is a must for RV repair.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
dennisl,
I'm pretty sure you don't have to disconnect at the tv. If you find the end that screws to the wall jack, unhook it and connect it to the box "output to tv" and then add a short cable to the wall jack and the "antenna input" on the box you should be good to go.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We have the same TV. I've had ours out a couple times. What made the screws so tight is they didn't relieve a hole through the wood before screwing into the TV. As John mentioned, they are square drive screws. I've changed ours around so much, I really can't remember what wires were there to start with. I do know there is also another video input on the left side of the TV (facing screen). If you get the TV out, I would suggest going ahead and adding another patch cord to those inputs for future use. I didn't, and had to pull the TV out again to add them.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Have you tried square headed bits? A square head screw driver is a must for RV repair.
Good luck.
Yes, they are square head screws, but as I said, the screws were driven in so hard that the square holes were rounded off and mangled up so bad that a square headed or even phillips head bit would not budge the screws. I will wait until I buy a converter box and see what kind of hook up it reqires - if I'm lucky as Bob says maybe I won't have to remove the TV. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Do what 49merc said and install the converter box between the wall coax connector and the existing cable that's already hooked to the TV analog "Antenna In". It'll be the exact same thing.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What I have done in the past was use a Dremel cutting wheel and made a slot in the head of the screw, then used a flat blad screw driver to back it out. A little work, but doable. Wear safety glasses.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

What I have done in the past was use a Dremel cutting wheel and made a slot in the head of the screw, then used a flat blad screw driver to back it out. A little work, but doable. Wear safety glasses.
Good idea - I might give it a try if in fact I have to take the TV out. At this point, I am probably going to wait until I get the box, and see if I can hook it up without removing the TV. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As I recall the screw driver is a Robertson head, T-2. T-1 is too small. Bought both at Sears a little over a year ago for not much $$.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
The converter goes between the TV and outside antenna connection. Disconnect the TV cable where it connects to the outside antenna amplifier and connect it to the "TV Out" on the converter. Take another cable and connect it to the outside antenna amplifier and connect the other end to the "TV In" of the converter. A couple of other posters have already explained that. Why can't you accept the answer and realize the TV does not have to come out?

Bill M>
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 AM   #11
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
In my 06 Mountaineer 329RLT my antenna connection is inside the TV cabinet and can only be reached with the TV removed. It sounds like the same thing you have and if so you will have to bring the TV outside connection out to where the converter box will be located and then another wire from the converter box back to the TV. Make sure your converter box has the pass thru capability incase you want to use an outside dish antenna or cable connection to the TV. If the TV has rear connection for video and sound inputs like mine has I would drop then down now also for future use because like you say it's a pain to get the TV out, heavy too so it's not something you want to do anymore often then you have to, trust me.

Good luck from someone who has been there.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by biznsa

The converter goes between the TV and outside antenna connection. Disconnect the TV cable where it connects to the outside antenna amplifier and connect it to the "TV Out" on the converter. Take another cable and connect it to the outside antenna amplifier and connect the other end to the "TV In" of the converter. A couple of other posters have already explained that. Why can't you accept the answer and realize the TV does not have to come out?

Bill M>
Sorry I asked - it won't happen again.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:

Bill M>
Bill, you do realize not all the Montanas are wired alike huh? If the Mountaineer Dennisl has is anything like ours, the amp is in the front next to the closet. What you suggest would work good for the Bedroom TV, but it would take a looooong coax jumper to reach the TV in the entertainment center.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:

Bill M>
To update my original post, I DID HAVE TO REMOVE THE TV TO HOOK UP THE CONVERTER BOX. I cannot find a connection to the "ouside antenna amplifier" other than the cable that screws directly into the back of the tv, which means I had to get the tv out of the cabinet. Believe me, I did not take the tv out just because I wanted to - it was a major pain in the rear. If someone can tell me there is another connection that I missed, please let me know.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
biznsa, that was totally rude and way the heck out of line, this is the MOC not RVNet.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dennis,
How did you remove the screws, if you don't mind. What worked for you may work again for someone else.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
MOC Members,

As JimF indicated personal attacks are not in keeping with the MOC Mission Statement. Please keep that in mind as you make your posts.

Thank you,

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Dennis,
How did you remove the screws, if you don't mind. What worked for you may work again for someone else.

Thanks.
I removed the top screw, but unfortunately, the 2 bottom screws were rounded off and could not be unscrewed, even with screw extractors. I drilled the heads off the screws, which loosened them enough to raise the bottom of the tv a fraction of an inch. I then took a hacksaw blade (not the hacksaw itself, just the blade) and cut off the two bottom screws. It was way harder than it should have been just because the installer ran the bottom screws in entirely too far. I made sure when I installed the two bottom screws this time that I drilled pilot holes first, then tightened the screws by hand just enough to hold the tv in place. Hope this helps someone else, but I also hope they don't have to go thru this process.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Dennis.
Be sure to check those bottom screws from time to time. Everyone's hand turns a little tighter or looser than someone else.

I would consider using a toothpick and putting a drop or two of blue thread lock to keep it snugged up.

Been there done that with a hacksaw before. Not fun at all.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:dennisl Posted - Feb 01 2009 : 1:23:49 PM

...To update my original post, I DID HAVE TO REMOVE THE TV TO HOOK UP THE CONVERTER BOX. I cannot find a connection to the "ouside antenna amplifier" other than the cable that screws directly into the back of the tv, which means I had to get the tv out of the cabinet. Believe me, I did not take the tv out just because I wanted to - it was a major pain in the rear. If someone can tell me there is another connection that I missed, please let me know.
Disconnect the coax cable from the TV.(that cable comes from the batwing antenna and the antenna amplifier) Now connect THAT cable to the Antenna Input on the back of the digital converter. The simplest connection is to connect another coax cable from the OUT to TV connection on the back of the converter to the back of the TV(Antenna Input to TV) Depending on the connections on the back of your TV you could use RCA cables or S-Video. Once you get it figured out for your 5er, mark your cables for future reference. I hope this helps your understanding of the cable wiring.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote