Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Second Shakedown Cruise

Last week we took our 2nd shakedown cruise. It was a 300 mile plus round trip so we got some decent interstate driving time while towing. DW did all the driving and with the exception of keeping the speed at 50 MPH the first half of the trip experienced no problems. (Had to finish the towing break-in period---got 14 MPG at 50 MPH and 11 MPG at 65 MPH.) She favorably commented on not feeling the semi’s when they blew by us. She also said she no longer had any aversions she to driving a rig this size.

The first hook-up went OK, probably should have had the pin lower than it was as the hitch didn’t seat properly the first time.

We used cell phones to communicate while backing into the site and have decided walky-talkies are the way to go, primary to overcome the potential of no cell coverage. We need to refine our backing technique and have decided to avoid hand signals and use the following basic voice commands: 1) Trailer Right, 2) Trailer Left, 3) Straight Back, 4) Easy Left/Right, 5) Hard Left/Right, and 6) Stop.

Had difficulty unhitching at the CG. The release arm wouldn’t release. Found a nearby 5er camper and asked for his help. He thought there was too much pressure on the hitch and suggested we put the TV in reverse and release the brake. Told him I had already done that (forward and reverse), but would try again. This didn’t work. We trouble shooted for another 30 minutes before I decided to leave it be for the night (it was getting dark and DW just wanted to chill). Had a sleepless night thinking I had screwed something up and that it would cost me big bucks to fix. Next morning I found another 5er camper, one with a short bed and slider hitch. He and his buddy (both Canadians) came over to the rig. One of them is a professional truck driver who did a visual inspection of my truck and trailer and was satisfied that I had correctly prepped it for unhitching. He had me extend the landing gear, put the truck in reverse and actually apply some gas. Bingo…did the trick He did a visual inspection of my TV and asked if the suspension was stock or if I had modified it. He was impressed to learn it was stock and told me I should have no problem hauling Monty. Made me feel good. He also told me he thought I was using too much of the extendable portion of the landing gear. He was of the opinion the sheathed portion was stronger and more of it should be extended. Yesterday I asked a mechanic at my dealership about this and was told it shouldn’t make any difference.

Set-up went quickly and without any problems. I employed the lateral leveling technique learned on this forum (full size level on the kitchen counter) and knew we had to raise the right side. DW (more of a handyman than me—must be that German blood in her) checked the level and concurred. She backed the rig up, I laid down a 5-foot 2x8 plank, she drove forward, and the task of lateral leveling was finished. I need to get another plank this size just in case. I couldn’t horizontally level the rig until we got it unhitched, but once unhitched that took no time or effort. However, in the future I need to extend the sheathed portion of the landing gear more than I did in the event the site isn’t level front to back. I only had about an inch of sheathed landing gear to play with when I finished my horizontal leveling.

The recliners haven’t got any lighter and are likely to be the first thing to go. It is a struggle for Doris and me to position those anchors. Keystone should consider going to Euro style. My guess is the demographics of people buying the puts the bulk of Monty owners at 50 plus; old enough to where our backs aren’t as strong as they were and weak enough to be thrown out of whack positioning heavy recliners.

We had a friend from Orlando visit us for one night, so we inaugurated the hide-a-bed with inflatable air mattress. In a word WOW! Set up and inflation is a breeze, it is big enough for 2 adults, and is comfortable to sleep on. Deflation is effortless. This is going to prove to be an outstanding feature in our Monty. DD is as tall as me and will be able to sleep comfortably and I will no longer have reservations about my wife inviting her visiting brother and his GF to join us on one of our road trips.

Believe it or not, one night it was warm enough to prompt us to turn on the A/C. For whatever reason it wouldn’t start and the one Fan-Tastic Fan we turned on was too noisy for DW. Out came the owner’s manual. That didn’t help. I figured it was a power issue and looked at the fuse box. Don’t know when or how, but the A/C circuit breaker was thrown. A flip of the finger and we were in business. The next day, I played around with and adjusted the fans and was able to eliminate the noise and move the air. DW was impressed with how effective these fans are.

We deployed our automatic awning this trip. Worked great and kept leaves and twigs off the patio rugs. However, unlike the manually operated one on our old TT, I can’t figure out how to drop it to clean it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On our first shakedown we used the half-time oven to bake cinnamon rolls. DW set the timer a minute too long and we ended up with hockey pucks. This time she used the convection oven feature. Got them out just in time. While edible, they were far from being moist. Bottom line the half-time and convection features cook fast.

In respect to holding tanks, we were set-up by 6:00 P.M. on Wednesday and by Saturday afternoon sensors on the galley tank showed full and the black and gray tanks read ¾’s full. While this seemed excessive to me, and I questioned the sensor readings, I still dumped the tanks. All tanks read ½ full on Monday morning before breaking camp. Bottom line, by adjusting cooking/eating habits (use of disposable plates and utensils) and better water management (camp showers and/or use of CG facilities), we should be able to dry camp for at least 3 to 4 days.

Hook-up when breaking camp and subsequent unhitching went smoothly. While cleaning the Monty, I found a 2” screw on the living room floor. Haven’t determined where it came from yet.

In summary, it was a great trip and we both are both pleased and comfortable with the rigs operating systems.

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We had similar experiences unhitching our SuperGlide. Until we get thoroughly familiar with the process, I scanned just the Hitch and Unhitch portions of the SuperGlide Owner's Manual and have it handy in the truck. There are some specific instructions that I was glossing over and now the Unhitch process is going much better as it relates to landing gear, backing the truck and placing the emergency brake on while in reverse. Having the landing gear just right also makes unhitching smoother.

I like your idea of using two-ways when backing. It seems it would lessen the stress of backing (not well experienced) and the "seagulls" watching my inept ways!

Good Luck and be safe. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe-n-Doe, THANKS for a very informative recap of your experiences. Having only been an RVer for 6 months, these posts are very helpful to me. I, too, have found several excess screws and my DW first wanted to know if our TT was coming apart one screw at a time )lol). Sometimes the builders throw several screws on the floor and forget to pick up the excess, hence, the extra screws. We are considering purchasing "wall hugger" recliners for our 3400. I just don't like the fact that they don't swivel or rock. We are even considering getting rid of the sofa bed (not an air bed) to allow a little extra weight and more room in LR. Doubt we will ever need the bed portion. Maybe a futon or just two nice recliners, one in back and one on side.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #4
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Following our first shakedown cruise I reported heavier chucking when breaking. Here is a follow-up on that issue.

We discovered we had not correctly calibrated our brake controller. Once calibrated there was some improvement when breaking, HOWEVER we discovered that breaking wasn't actually causing the chucking. It was actually happening when taking our foot off the gas when traveling at slow speeds. Yesterday when returning from the dealership I disengaged the tow/haul feature and eliminated the chucking.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Once upon a time we had a Cambridge 5th wheel. We took all RV funiture out and got two Lazy Boy recliners. Mine was leather and DW's had the massage version of the Lazy Boy and they were great. And we used a Glider rocker that we took out of the Stick house. I think those couches are terrible. We took it to Goodwill and gave it to them. And wrote it 0ff our taxes. And since all Lazy Boys the rear comes off and are easy to get inside the 5er. And they are lighter than Rv chairs. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Joe,
Very interesting and thorough report. At one time or another we've all had difficulty unhitching these fifth wheels. Here's what almost always works for us: After chocking the trailer wheels and lowering the landing gear, we put the truck in neutral and release the parking brake. The truck usually moves an inch or two and eases the pressure on the hitch pin, enabling us to move the release arm. When this fails, I gently rock the truck forward and backward while DW pulls on the release arm.

The tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate, and we no longer even look at them. For us, the galley tank is always the first to fill up. We're sure it is full when we have standing water in the kitchen sink. Then we know it's time to dump.

Glad to hear you had such a successful trip.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Agree, forget the tank level indicators. Practice and experience will tell you when it is time to dump. Practice and you can get 15 daysat a park with no water hookups, use the campground facilities. (I have actually made longer, but we cheated a lot, we were living in the unti at the stickbuilt and could use the kitchen, toilets and shower in the house.)

As far as that hitch, read the directions, we place chocks, gently back into the hitch, put on parking brake, put trans in park. when ready (put down front extensions, raise off the hitch, etc), then pull the handle. Ta da!! The backing INTO the hitch is the trick!

You had a great first run, may they continue.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote