Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
extremely low water pressure problem FIXED!!

Okay, I sure hope somebody has the answer to this problem. When hooked to city water we have extremely low water pressure. Pressure with the pump is fine. So far we have replaced the regulator, the inline filter and the city water inlet in the rig. We have tried it without any regulator or any filters or screens. We have taken apart the connections into the house filter and nothing is clogged. Still, little to no water pressure. We have used the quick fill for the water tank. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Pam

bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Does that have a backflow restrictor valve on the input of the city water?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Is this a new problem? Was water working before and not now? Has anything changed since you last saw this working. Did you make sure water was flowing freely for everything up to the point where the hose connects to the water inlet?

Have you made sure ALL the valves in the rig are positioned to allow water to flow? On my Monty there are numerous ball valves used for winterizing, draining etc. and I had a problem with hot water and found I had closed a valve somewhere.

There is also a device in the water line for backflow that might be the problem.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Pam, when did it start, never had that problem. By chance, do you have the winterize lever in the wrong position? Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Pam, if that is not he problem, you can remove the panel in the storage compartment, or look in through the filter access door, follow the line from the city water connection, make sure there are no kinks in the line. It could also be the city water valve you had replaced has a problem. Let me know, Kerry
Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I forgot about that water inlet you replaced. Sometimes there is a manufacturing plug put in it to keep it clean. When you replaced it do you check that water could go through it before installing it? You do indicate some pressure, but maybe something is partially blocked.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pam, I assume the park's water pressure significantly exceeds what you see in the rig? If so, then since you have tried just about everything outside that you can, then Kerry's idea of a kink makes sense.

Also, I assume the pressure problem is at all faucets?

Also, did you try a different hose in case the one in use has a kink or a spider web or some other obstruction?

You said you have little to no pressure, making me think you have a serious obstruction of some kind. This next suggestion is a bit off the wall but might be worth a try. And it's cheap. You can get one of those adapters at an RV dealer that allows you to blow air through the lines (as part of winterizing) from the city water inlet. The adapter has an air valve and it screws into the city water inlet where the hose would otherwise go. You might try blowing air through there to see if you can dislodge any obstruction. Be sure to open all faucets. The water lines in the Montana are built to withstand something like 150 psi so you should be able to put 60 or so psi through there with no problem. In fact, we set our water regulator at just under 60 psi.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For what it's worth, we've experienced times when CG water pressure fluctuates, especially if they are on their own well. It seems that the pressure is significantly lower in the mornings than later in the day. However, having said that, we've never experienced in over 30 years of RVing, the seemingly low pressures that many on the forum talk about. Sure, we've had pressures down around 20 psi but this never bothers us because if we want better pressure we use the in-house pump. In RVs, we will never have the continuous water flow we had in our stick house and we have come to grips with that.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Here are some answers to your great questions:

Does that, have a backflow restrictor valve on the input of the city water? - Yes, and we have tested it. It seems to be okay.

Is this a new problem? Yes, new in the last few weeks Was water working before and not now? YesHas anything changed since you last saw this working. Replaced the city inlet due to smashed o-ring which let pump water flow out.Did you make sure water was flowing freely for everything up to the point where the hose connects to the water inlet? Yes.

Have you made sure ALL the valves in the rig are positioned to allow water to flow? Yes.

There is also a device in the water line for backflow that might be the problem.Where would that be located?

Do you have the winterize lever in the wrong position? No. Bob just checked it again.

It could also be the city water valve you had replaced has a problem. When you replaced it do you check that water could go through it before installing it? We removed it and flushed it out. The water ran through it properly.

the park's water pressure significantly exceeds what you see in the rig? Yes.

Also, I assume the pressure problem is at all faucets? Yes, and the toilet.

Also, did you try a different hose in case the one in use has a kink or a spider web or some other obstruction? Yes.

As for the compressor idea, it's a good one, but we don't have access to a compressor of sufficient power to put much air through the lines.

We're using the tank and pump for now, and if we can't resolve the issue before the Fall Rally, we'll take the rig to Fox RV Repair in Middlebury, IN, either before or after the rally. Think team Montana would have any interest in the problem?

We REALLY appreciate all the ideas and suggestions and will let you know if we ever get it figured out. Despite this little nagging problem we absolutely love the Big Sky and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
We do want to know!!!

In a past posting, someone had mentioned some kind of device/valve/diverter that determines that there is city water pressure and opens to allow city water pressure to take over. Maybe it's your water pump or part of the water pump. I do not know how to search specific things in the MOC forum very well so I can't help any more than this... sorry.

There's a question... Did you turn off the 12v water pump, wait a minute or so for pressure to subside or turn on a faucet to relieve pressure, THEN try the city water? I do not believe they can be used at the same time.

Do please let us know how you solve this?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
One more thing you might try. with the water hose disconnected, turn the pump off, open a faucet to depressurize the waterlines, (hot & cold). Have Bob go out to the city water connection and press in on the check valve and hold it in. (want to have some fun, DON"T tell him to get out from in front of it). Turn the pump on and see if water will pump out of the city water connection. If it doesn't, it might help find the restriction, if if does it might dislodge it if that is the problem. Kerry
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Kerry, okay, we'll try that. But, since I have to hand him a towel afterward, I think I'll tell him to stand aside!!

Okay, we tried that, and no change. The check valve worked just as it should. Darn. Hoped we were on to something. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pam
Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Pam, last year I had a similar problem, I got full pressure from the supply hose (city supply side hose)when I disconnected from the rig. when connected I got some flow then almost none. I went through the entire system and found no restrictions. I finally tried another supply hose and that fixed the problem. Then I went to work on the old hose. What I found was that after a year of hot sun and constant 80 lb water pressure the hose had started to delaminate inside. The clear outer casing and the white inner casing had started to seperate. Some how water had gotten between the two layers and when I had full flow going through the hose without any restriction such as a nozzle or being connected to the rig it worked fine. When I put some restriction on the flow the pressure built up between the two casings and forced the inner to collapse and eventually stop the water flow. After I found this out I started to feel the entire hose for soft spots and I found the area about 4 feet from the city supply end. I cut the hose open and half of the inner casing had separated from the outer and was acting as a valve when in use. This explanation is pretty long but the gist of it is "try changing the outside hose" this was my last resort before going to the dealer for help and it worked. Just a thought from a feeble mind... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pam, this won't solve your current problem but your mention of replacing the inlet because of a smashed o-ring reminded me of similar problems (with the o-ring) I've had.

I can't remember whether you are fulltiming or if you winterize your rig. For a few of our pre-fulltiming years I did not realize the importance of pushing that pin under the screen in the inlet valve to release water pressure in that valve when winterizing. Thus, the water was held in the valve and when it froze and expanded it pushed the o-ring out of its seat, causing the problem you had with water shooting out of that one-way valve when using the pump. In my case I was able, with the aid of a long, very thin screwdriver, to work the o-ring back into its seat. After that I always remembered to release that pressure as a final step during winterizing. Or, if you can get to the back of the valve you can just disconnect the water line and accomplish the same thing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Dave, yes you with the feeble mind, bless your little pea pickin' heart. It was the hose. Bob just went out at nine o'clock at night and changed hoses, and wa la, water pressure. Whodathunk it. The hose was newly purchased in Alaska, and it was a really good deal; now I know why!! We just started using it in the last few months and it worked just fine as long as it wasn't hooked up to the rig. Haven't inspected it for delamination yet, but Bob will probably do that tomorrow. He says to tell you we owe you a couple of rounds. Thank you for helping us out.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Way to go Dave!! Our Hero! The mystery has been solve! As Pam said "Whodathunk!" Good job!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you got it fixed but did you have to give Dave such a big head. LOL.
Great job and again this shows the worth of this forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, was that a 5/8 in hose? and what length? I have had my water (white) hoses for 3 years with no apparent problems. Didn't realize until your post that there may be a mortality rate for hoses...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
You are welcome, but no thanks are required. I have learned so much from this forum that sharing is a pleasure. Dave, my hose was a 5/8" and it had been on all summer without a regulator. I had also driven over it several times so it doesn't mean that they have a failure date it just means that I hadn't treated it well. Garden hoses are one thing, I will drive over them till they blow but potable water hoses I will never drive over again..Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #20
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bob & Pam,
I'm glad that you got your problem fixed. I learned something today. I never would have suspected the hose failing like that.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote