Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Montana_4699
Established Member

M.O.C. #4699
Axle spacing

Kathy and I brought home our 3400RL two weeks ago and today while going through the entire coach we realized that the spacing between the tires are different on each side. Distance between center hub to hub on the passenger side is 35 3/8" while the distance on the opposite side is 33 7/8". I'm guessing that the axles are out out of alignment? Would this be coved under the warranty or is this normal?

Montana_4699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Anything that new should be covered under full warranty. I think you're covered for one year. Sure glad that you noticed it before your tires were affected.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Pete
Sounds like those buying a new Monty need to add one more thing to their preinspection. Would have never thought to check that. Ours are the same. How do you like your new '06 Chevy? Do you have the 6 speed Allison?
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Great observation, what made you think of measuring the axel difference?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi all,

There is an acceptable tolerance on the spacing. I had mine aligned and it was mentioned. I can't remember the exact number but it seemed like it was about 3/4 of an inch max. (seemed like a lot)

Sure sounds like yours is over the acceptable limit.

I would be looking into it if I were you.

Wish you well
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 AM   #6
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Your axles are out of alignment. When I had mine realigned they suggest they should be within 1/8". But you have to take the weight off them and make sure the equalizers are level. That also means you can't have any wear in the spring bushings at the frame ends (front end of front spring and rear end of rear spring) or you can be out of tolerance. Of course a brand new trailer should not have excessive bushing wear.

If I were buying a new trailer I would require the dealer have the axles aligned before I sign the papers. I just don't think the factory does a full alignment. What do you say Rich?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 AM   #7
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Another thing to be aware of is the axles twist when making a turn. You've probably seen the scrubbing action when making a turn. This could cause the measurements to be different. As drhowell said, you have to have the weight off of the axles before you're sure they are out of alignment.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good thinking..another item for my PDI/
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pete, by any chance were the measurements taken with those between-wheel chocks like we use in place? If so, those tend to push the wheels apart and will cause the mismeasurement. If not, and if not within tolerance, then there may be an alignment problem.

Another thing - this I learned at the factory service center when I told them of a similar problem - The axles will move when in a turn and will result in a measurement like you have found. It takes a straight forward drive of at least 50 feet to fully straighten them out. I had assumed we had a problem with our axles until they straightened me out (pun not intended).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I just moved mine into its parking space and after putting the between wheel chocks in place remembered this post and measured my wheels. I do have a 3/4" difference from side to side. Wish I would have thought about it before I unhitched. I think I should be ok with a 3/4" difference, but will write myself a note to check it when I hitch up again.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote