Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
draw-tite 16K vs Reese 16K fiver hitch

It is time to have the fifth wheel hitch installed.We have priced out the draw-tire and Reese 16K hitch.Both ,by the way are made by the same parent company like Thor industries is the parent company for Keystone and many other RV manufacturers. There is a $133.00 price difference between the 2 with the draw tite being the less expensive. That is for the hitch, rails,pivot head lock and installation. My installer who has installed many of each says that Reese looks to be sturdier.I note that the shipping weight on the Reese is several lbs more that the Draw-tite so the Reese MAY well be sturdier. Does anyone have any information on what the difference may be..if there is any.Either hitch would work for us ..just curious as to what the extra 133.00 is for on the Reese..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

It is time to have the fifth wheel hitch installed.We have priced out the draw-tire and Reese 16K hitch.Both ,by the way are made by the same parent company like Thor industries is the parent company for Keystone and many other RV manufacturers. There is a $133.00 price difference between the 2 with the draw tite being the less expensive. That is for the hitch, rails,pivot head lock and installation. My installer who has installed many of each says that Reese looks to be sturdier.I note that the shipping weight on the Reese is several lbs more that the Draw-tite so the Reese MAY well be sturdier. Does anyone have any information on what the difference may be..if there is any.Either hitch would work for us ..just curious as to what the extra 133.00 is for on the Reese..
There may be a difference in the capacity of the hitch, I'm not sure. I've had both hitches and I don't remember any difference between the overall operation of the two. For my money, if you are undecided between these two hitches and these two only, I'd go with the Draw-tite.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
I am using a 16K four way Draw-Tite hitch since 1998, it is in the second truck pulling a second trailer. Have not had any problems with it, I would not hesitate to by another.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Champ203
Established Member

M.O.C. #4767
My draw-tite dealer said that they are both the same hitch without any differences other than the stickers.....I'm a newbie around here so take this info as you see fit. I've used my hitch (16K) exactly once and that was to tow our new Mountaineer home yesterday. BTW I got the sliding version.....
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Been real happy with my Draw-tite slider. One of the two springs broke so Cequent Towing Products sent me two new springs free of charge. Springs were not critical for locking.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 AM   #6
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
I have the Reese 16k 4-way slider & haven't had so much as a hiccup. We're on our second 5'er with it, & wouldn't hesitate to buy another. No problem w/clearance w/our short bed Duramax...

WHATEVER you buy, make sure it has a way to lock the release lever (padlock, etc.). Too many horror stories out there about jerks at restaurants, rest areas, etc. You CAN lock the Reese, & probably the Draw-Tite also.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 02:00 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I am towing a 33 ft Mountaineer with a 15k reese have had no problems.I have made several long trips 1600 miles and lots of short trips with no problems. I also tow for a recreational vehicle transport co. out of Indiana also with no problems. You just buy what you feel comfortable with. Make sure you can lock the release lever, I also drilled one of the pins that holds the head piece to the base so I can lock it also. You never know where a stickey finger might be.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 07:25 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for the input. The only difference we could see was that the Reese weighs more than the draw-tite and our dealer, who handles both, thought that the Reese looked studier than the draw-tite. We went with the Reese but only because we were able to get the Reese for far less money. We went to our local, very large, flea market Wednesday and came across a set of Reese rails for the 16K hitch, got them for 25.00, CW price 109.00+ shipping and with a little cleaning up they are as good as new.Also the shipping cost on the Reese was less that 1/2 the cost of the Draw-tite. Will have the hitch installed next week. Am working with Mor-ryde to get the pin box installed on the 3670 when ordered....
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, Do they sell the Reese hitch & rails seperately?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes..go to www.reese-hitches.com for pricing..your local RV dealer/shop or C.W can order them...
Old 10-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rich!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So we ordered the hitch and the pivot head lock today AND got a even better deal than previously quoted. Saved another 50.00 and every $ counts these days..We ordered the pivot head lock because everything I've read on it (prevents the side to side motion when towing was positive and the two campers in our club that have them said they did the job..Anyone have any experience with the pivot head lock...also the hitch is adjustable 15 to 18 inches vertical We will be hooked up to a 3670RL..where should we put the initial setting???? Although we have pulled TT's for many years the fifth wheel is all new to us..