Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robbie,
Thanks for the pics of the broken hangar. Man those things sure can get twisted out of shape. Looks like the replacement stuff is much stronger. Did you have all of them replaced or just the broken one?

Thanks,
Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Robbie,
Thanks for the pics of the broken hangar. Man those things sure can get twisted out of shape. Looks like the replacement stuff is much stronger. Did you have all of them replaced or just the broken one?

Thanks,
Dennis
I replaced the one hanger with the support, and just put the support on the unbroken side.

BTW, watch out for invisible speed bumps....
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #23
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
(If I can do this properly, here are three photos.) The hanger that is broken is the driver side rear hanger. The other two are the passenger side rear hanger, bent to the inside and rubbing the spring.
I will attempt to take a few photos to post on the "fix". The fix included replacing the hanger on the driver side, straightening the passenger side hanger and adding a gusset. Then I added the stiffening bars between each of the spring hangers, front and back, and between the equalizer.

Morryde and their staff were wonderful. Ben, Jerimiah (sp), and Sergio were great. Gary was also great standing in for Ben until Ben returned to the office.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #24
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Looks like the bracket let go at the weld. Likely the weld changed the characteristics of the metal around it and broke because of a poor procedure and application. Probably this happens a lot with auto welders if there is no Q.I. Very important to do a visual check of all welds on those frames!!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Humm.. Looks like stress to the side helped it along?? If the weld just broke loose why would the bracket be bent???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
The bracket sides are bent because I drove with it that way for 110 miles. It isn't just the weld that is broken, the part itself is broken on both sides at the bend that is welded to the frame.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Most likely it was bent when it started to break at the weld. When a weld breaks its usually from to much heat applied when welding. Yes, you can overheat a weld. Or it wasn't hot enough on the weld, and got no penetration. There is a very fine line in a good weld and a so so weld. They may look the same, but they aren't. Can't blame it all on the weld, its just a matter of physics. Something as big as this, and try twisting these things every which way is going to create a bind of some sort. When theres a bind, theres stress.

It just appears to me that the bracket also is not strong enough for the demand. Will be changing mine with a heavier piece , along with the wet bolt installation Oh.......while I'm at it, better change them Mission tires too. Geesh, 1500 miles and how many dollars to fix a brand new trailer. Just doesn't seem right, but with all the negative reported in here, its a bit confusing. But experience I believe in, and I can tell when theres a problem. Fix it now, or fix it later, with much more cost!!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went to the Mr Ryde IS system this September at the fall rally. It was at considerable expense but we felt that the way we use the 3400 justified it. We also learned a lot about welds while there and now realize the skills required in a good weld. We never did feel the suspension was adequate for the heavy use some of use put these things to.Even for normal/average use the wet bolt kit, cross bracing and strengthening the brackets is a real good idea. These are large heavy campers as we found out at the rally weigh in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #29
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
As we have said before, Keystone will stand behind their product. Keystone has worked with us on our problem and we have reached a satisfactory conclusion. They are assisting in defraying the cost for the repair of the spring hangers.

Thanks to Rick and Darryl!!!!
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #30
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Bob...Was thinking about you the other day and if your spring problem had been taken care of. Glad every thing went good.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bw2

As we have said before, Keystone will stand behind their product. Keystone has worked with us on our problem and we have reached a satisfactory conclusion. They are assisting in defraying the cost for the repair of the spring hangers.

Thanks to Rick and Darryl!!!!
Whoa! Would you please share your approach to Keystone that resulted in them acknowledging there is a problem with the spring hangers on Lippert frames and agreeing to offset the costs of repair on a 2006 (out of warranty) rig? There are many of us here affected and who have much less success.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote