Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Bingo if you do not have power to the remote receiver you cannot operate the pump unless you jumper it. You will note that on the solonoid near the pump there are two smaller wires that come from the receiver, those activate the solonoid directionally for forward and reverse of the pump.
When you activate the slide switch either in or out one of those wires to the solonoid will be live, if they are not, then there is nothing coming from the remote receiver.

If they do show voltage when the slide switch is activated then you need to check the power to the center of that solonoid from the right hand circuit breaker. If this breaker is faulty there will be no power to the solonoid and the pump will not work.

I would be careful jumping anything. Better to find out where the problem is by determining where you have 12V and where you don't.

I think it is either the circuit breaker or that you have no power to the receiver.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Yes, it has 3 big wires an a couple or more smaller wires. When I pushed the button I could hear it click
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #23
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Is this the same model that some are having problems with cables for the slides?

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil,
None of the slides are working, neither the electric cable slides not the ordinary hydraulic slides. Looks like I will be taking the afternoon off and trying to troubleshoot. I do have a multimeter handy, but the first thing I will check will be the auto-reset.
Bingo
KOLCB,
When you mention the button, do you mean the button on the remote, or the main switches. I have not tried the remote because the remote does not operate the front cable slides. That is the primary reason that I think it is a 12V supply problem.
The more I think about it, I think whatever happened, happened prior to the battery episode. I don't know exactly what happened to the battery, and it may have been limited to the battery, since the hot wire on the secondary battery was connected to the frame ground post on the primary battery with the stud with a nut on it. The large ground post completely disintegrated when the switch hit both. The switch did not like it either since there were some interesting lighting effects occurring in the switch workings prior to the large post melt-down.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Bingo, I used the remote so I could hear the relay. Sounds like you have a different problem My front slides worked. Have you contacted Keystone?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not yet, going to do some more troubleshooting and if that doesn't yield any discoveries, they will be the next contact.
Bingo
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #27
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
If your slides all work from the same switch like the 4 all hydraulic slides do then you cable slides operate using a hydraulic cylinder like the Hi-Lo trailers do.

If only your hydraulic slides are out then it should be easy to retract your hydraulic slides by using jumpers directly to the 2 wires that power the pump motor. Try it if they go out then reveres polarity and they will come in. You can do this at the relay next to the hydraulic motor.

Then at least you will be able to move the trailer if you need to.

In the pictures you will see the relay to the right of the pump. Jump power to the [s](top and bottom)[/s]WRONG Sorry about that it is frame negative and positive to the top or the bottom depending on what direction you want to go the terminals that have the #4 wires to them. If the slides go out [s]reverse the polarity[/s] put positive to the other terminal and they will go in.

Phil P

PS:

It looks like my server is down I will see about getting it up in the next hour or so.

I looks like the Internet is down in south central Florida. As soon as we can get past the Tec support in India we will be able to get back up and running.

When my pictures came up i noticed the jump instructions were wrong.

Edit for PS
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #28
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Bingo, what I was talking about is what looks like auto reset breakers, some now have little push button resets on the sides of them.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are three distinct switches on the inside controls for the slides. One switch for each electric cable slide and one switch for the hydraulic slides (all three). None of the three inside switches are working.
Bingo
Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Forgot you had the electric slides as well and they operate individually with electric motors. All your 12V system will be protected through those circuit breakers, also any cut out switches you have installed yourself that might now play a part. You certainly have no voltage going from the batteries, and your lights and so on are being powered by the converter. That would indicate it was not affected and that is always good news.

Good luck with the troubleshooting, check every device and connection in the battery circuit.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 AM   #31
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Which is what I plan to do Ed, thanks. There are two separate auto-reset breakers and I have a hunch one feeds everything else on the rig. The lights and everything are working without the generator on, which means there has to be two separate inputs on the 12V battery side, which would explain everything if the slide motors (hydraulic or electric) are on one side of the dual supply. The two auto-reset breakers are tied together with a cable on the input side, that is tripled up with a cable between the two breakers, the input cable from the battery, and a small unknown wire beneath these two connections. I have removed the battery isolation switch and currently have everything set up on one battery.
Bingo
Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #32
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Does anyone know if the new rigs come with 50 amp auto-reset breakers? Hate to have to run to the mini-storage to take it off and check since I have a supply place close to the house which is on the way. I can always use a spare if that is not the problem.
Bingo
Old 11-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #33
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Which is what I plan to do Ed, thanks. There are two separate auto-reset breakers and I have a hunch one feeds everything else on the rig. The lights and everything are working without the generator on, which means there has to be two separate inputs on the 12V battery side, which would explain everything if the slide motors (hydraulic or electric) are on one side of the dual supply. The two auto-reset breakers are tied together with a cable on the input side, that is tripled up with a cable between the two breakers, the input cable from the battery, and a small unknown wire beneath these two connections. I have removed the battery isolation switch and currently have everything set up on one battery.
Bingo

Assuming the slides in the 2014 are intended to operate even with the isolator switch in the off position then the circuit breaker on the right (1) that has the cable from the battery on one terminal, plus a heavy lead to the other breaker (2) and at least two wires coming from the output side of (1) which should go to the remote receiver and to the TV/trailer plug. There should also be one wire from the input side of (1) that may be orange/blue this one goes to the break away switch and is hot all the time.

The output side of (2) should have at least 2 heavy wires, one going to the solonoid and one to the isolator switch and on from there to the converter. If (1) is shot then no power to the receiver means the hydraulic won't work, and perhaps if that is where the power for the two front slides come from then they won't work either.. If (2) was shot then you would have no power to the converter and without the generator running you would have no lights in the living area.

My long distance assessment would be the (1) circuit breaker.

Also per your last post, I would get 50 amp because that is what is on my 2012 and is most likely on your 2014.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #34
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Ed, local dealer had a 50 amp auto-reset breaker, and I will going to the rig in the next hour or so. Hopefully I can figure this out, if not, a call will be made to Keystone. Hopefully I will be blessed with a favorable resolution, more to come later this evening!
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Bingo
Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
GOOD NEWS and a great relief. The slides are in and everything is back to normal! The resolution was the right hand auto-reset breaker was replaced and all is good. When I replaced it, I took a good look at what the problem was and the post on the battery input slide was loose from overtightening. Lesson learned, do not overtighten. There is now an extra 50 amp auto-reset breaker in the truck! So the repair cost totaled $9 but I still need to replace the battery which was an unrelated issue as I suspected! Ahhhhhh, life is good again! Thanks to every one for their input and concern!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We have been watching this problem and are glad to see all is good.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It is a good thing no one was at the mini-storage when I tried the slides, there was some joyful shouting occurring!
Bingo
Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #38
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Good for you!!
All's well that ends well... plus we all learned something. Valuable information.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
He is good!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #40
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Good for you! I am glad you got her fixed!