Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
New Roof

Well it is that time the old girl needs a new roof this will be the only time I can get it cover by my insures due to a tree hitting the roof so I would like give you all some information that I have found out about this.
so let me give you some base information so you can make your dissention about this. so keystone use EPDM type roof to have one replaced here in Ca. would run you about $4500.00 and to get re-sealed by a good company you are looking to spend about $1,500.00 for you to do it your self for a 37 foot trailer just about $800.00 that is with shipping. now we all know this or we have at one time looked in to getting this done. that is not what I want to talked to you about there is a new product out there well not so new it has been around for 3 or so years that is Rhino EcoCoat.
there is only a few company that can do it one is here in San Diego Ca. http://www.sandiegorvcenter.com/rhino.php I only put the web site link here so you see the video and read there add. so the DW and I spent some time on the web looking for some reviews about it no luck so we decided to go there and talked to them. the sales rep was nice but here is the line up about this product first thing the cost will run you about $4700.00 for a 37 foot trailer well okay that will be more that a new EPDM roof but it comes with a life time warranty and you will save in the maintenance cost over years that you would have with a EPDM roof. now the sales rep. show us the finish product on a few trailers the funny thing is that every trailer or motorhome he show us was worth less then it would cost to put the roof on so flag one when up. then I asked him if I want to put solar panels on the roof at a later time how would I do this he said "I would have to bring it back to them so they could do it $$$$$$$$$ because if I was to do it would void the warranty". there goes flag number two. the next question is what if you need to replace any thing on the roof again I would have to bring it back to them they would have to grind it out to replace it at a cost (at a high cost) then put the new one in and repaint it again more money. there goes flag number three. I think that this is not so great of idea if you are like us and do a lot of traveling and some thing happens and we are on the east cost that is a lot of fuel over $1000.00 to come back to the west coast for work to get done. if you have any other question please ask.

jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Good report on this product. This lets those thinking about going this route information to make a sound decision. In my case if I need a new roof it surely wont be a Rhino EcoCoat.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I believe if it sounds too good to be true...it is
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Howard and Linda Payne (rv-dreams.com) just had their 5er coated recently. You can log into their site for some more info.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The Rhino coating for the TV bed is great but having it done on the roof of the Monte would be nice but as you said if something happens to the roof while you're on the road then what do you do? You can get the TV repaired nearly anywhere in the US because it is a nationwide franchise but it doesn't sound like the RV roof spray on is! I'll guarantee you that I won't pull off my trip to go all the way back to the Rhino dealer to have it repaired.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I've never been fond of lifetime warrantees, there's always seems to be a catch.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There is a company putting it on new trailers that was shown at the Hersey show. It was being talked up as the end all and be all. Sounds like they left a few issues out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #8
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
EXCEL Windsor was the "best of show" on RV2014 at Hershey RV show.
Excel comes with this roof as standard equipment.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Having been in the roofing business for the last 38 years, I have seen many products come and go. Spray-on or liquid applied roof membranes have had a dismal performance record for a variety of reasons. Roof problems generally do not occur in the field of the roof. They occur at joints in the sub-structure, membrane splice joints, roof penetrations and at the roof perimeter. Other than poor installation, this is usually caused by thermal expansion and contraction of the roofing which will eventually weaken and split at these locations. Many of you live in the Northern US or Canada and travel to the warmer south. With your roof going from temperatures as low as -30 to highs above 100 thats a lot of expansion/contraction that your roof must endure. Now factor in the fact that your RV is a moving structure and the stresses on the roof become even more pronounced.

RV manufacturers use EPDM because (1) it is relatively inexpensive compared to other products and (2) it can be manufactured in large sheets allowing it to be installed in one piece with no seams and (3) the product has very good elongation properties which allows it to expand and contract without affecting its performance and (4) it is light weight.

For those that may not know, you will remember a time when vehicle tires had tubes in them. Your EPDM roof is essentially the same product with some changes such as UV protection additives. The major manufacturers include companies such as Goodyear, Carlisle, Firestone and BF Goodrich. When tubeless tires came out, rather than close the plants, they determined that the same product that kept air in could also keep weather out, thus the development of the EPDM roof membrane.

Many have posted on this forum about problems with their roof. From what I have read, all the problems stem from the original installation - workmanship problems rather than material problems.

While there may be other products that will work on RV roofs, the manufacturers will be reluctant to use them because they add either cost or weight to the RV.

I am in no way affiliated with any roofing manufacturer and am not trying to push any product to my benefit. In fact, we do not use EPDM on any of our commercial or residential projects. (Not that we don't like it - there are just better products more suited to the type of work we do)
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #10
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
This was something that I was think I feel the same thing at one time some told me that a trailer is a roiling earthquake you bring another question about the weather can go foe one exstrem to the other
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
delete
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Every thing comes with a life time warranty if you die soon enough.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:42 AM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Similar product vendor every year at the Tampa RV show. Sounds real good, but I have never run across anyone in our travels who has ever had it done.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote