Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Signs for your Montana

I've not done a search of archives, so don't know if this subject has come up before or not. How many of you have signs with your name/state, etc. for your Montana? I just made one for ours so we can have it at the Good Sam rally. If I can figure out tinypic again I will post a picture.

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #2
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Sunshine
No Signs as yet but plan on making one hopfully before the Reno rally.
Let us know how the Goodsam Rally goes Joy and I are thinking of them in the future as we are life members and would like to be involded
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
What is it made of? We use to have a wood sign with our names but is bit the dust after 10 years. We would love to have another wood one. You wood craftsmen out there listen up. You could make some money providing signs for MOC members.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:21 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have a wooden name sign which we hang from the king pin by chains, but may change to suction cups as it sometimes blows off in the wind.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Bob n Pam
We did the same with ours and had the same problem. I finally shortned the chain so it laid on the little up part of hitch (other unit) and then the wind didn't bother it. I've seen all types of signs at different parks. Several were hooked (don't know how) to the tripos under the pin.
Happy trails..................
Old 07-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We have a sign made like the state of Ohio that is about 2ft in diameter. This sign was made for us when we were in another club. Before we went to the Indiana rally last year, I painted it white and added our user name and an MOC sticker. I put this sign out every time we camp and get a lot of questions about who is MOC. We will be back at the regional rally in Indiana again this year, so if you're there, come on over and take a look, sorry I don't know to post a picture.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This is something I saved from another post. Maybe it will help those wanting to post a picture...

inserting a picture -

First you have to have the photo out on the internet somewhere, not on your personal pc. If you don't have a place to put a picture, I'd recommend www.tinypic.com . You can place pictures there for free. The picture cannot be more than 250k in size or they will automatically trim it down.

At tinypic, use the Browse button to find the picture on your pc. Then click the 'Host It' button. When the page comes back, scroll down and you'll see several boxes with urls in them. For posting here, click in the box for the one with the IMG tags on each end. Those tags are important for displaying a picture here.

After clicking in that box the url should be highlighted. Hold the ctrl key and press the 'c' key to copy the url. Sorry if too elementary, it's hard to tell level of knowledge from a post.

Then in your post, just paste (ctrl v) the url in your post. You can then click the Preview Reply button if you want to see what your post will look like before you submit it. When done, close the preview window and click the Submit Reply button.

I'd recommend your picture pasted into a post be no more than about 640x480 or thereabouts in size. You can tell the size by rightclicking and selecting properties (works that way on mine, anyhow). If you need to resize the picture and don't have software to do that, Irfanview is free at www.irfanview.com . This is what I usually use. After resizing I also do File/Save AS (rather than file/save or the save button). There I can tell it to save at 65% quality. . 30% quality usually works as well and makes for an even smaller filesize. That significantly reduces the size of the file itself so it will load faster for those on a slow connection (much appreciated if you'd do this).

It's a lot easier than it sounds.

If you want the picture to be part of your signature, go to your profile and paste that same url, with img tags, in the signature box.

Good luck. Post back if you have any problems with it. One of us will be along to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We have a local chainsaw carver that our kids had carve a bear for our 40th Anniversary that holds a sign that has our name and town on. We put it our at the entrance to our site wherever we are camping. As our home is the 'Polish Ponderosa' the sign reads:
"Polish Ponderosa on the Go', Dave and Carla, Washburn, WI.

It was a surprise for the DW and the carver gave me a good deal if I wasn't in a hurry. Waited 3months before I stopped by to see how things were going and he had forgotten about the bear. Bill, the carver, is a unique character. If you are ever in Washburn check out his shop on HWY 13 just South of town. Washburn is way up North on Lake Superior.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:33 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Parrothead: I made our sign from a broken oar. The handle had split, so we cut if off, leaving a few inches. Hubby is an artist of sorts and years ago had drawn a trout at the end of a fishing line. We sanded the oar, I printed the fish in a size that would fit the oar, transferred it, woodburned, then glazed the colors. For our name and town I printed them in a font I liked, sized it to fit, transferred, then woodburned. Finished it off with several coats of verathane. Used an old stringer attached with eye screws to hang it from the arm of the awning, looping plastic ties to the arm and the stringer hooks in those - adjustable and worked out well at the Good Sam rally.
melnjoy: There's a post in the rally section about Redmond - it was our first experience and we had a really good time - well worth going.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #10
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We found a sign maker at the Traders' Village flea market in Houston. She cut us a wood shingle that's about 2' x 10" in the shape of a truck and 5er. Had "The Alfords" written in script. We got it when we decided to go fulltiming (before getting the truck and 5er). It was our inspiration to get through the ordeal of selling off the stationary life and getting where we wanted to go!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Cheryl and Pete
Any idea how to contact her. I would love to have another sign. We always used our other one that wore out.
Happy trails...................
Old 07-19-2005, 05:42 PM   #12
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We found a guy who made us a decal of our names and we put it on the monty right by the door. He even matched it to the other decals.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Campbud
That sounds so cute. Where is this "guy"? Maybe we can do this on the computer. I made some decals several years ago but the ink fades.
Happy trails.................
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 AM   #14
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
A decal, that sounds great! I second parrotheads request in asking who and where is this guy? I have also thought about sewing a Flag like banner to hang out front, has anyone used that approach? Or do they fray and fall apart too quickly?

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #15
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
I've been thinking about these signs to hang on our RV's. I make a sign normally out of 1x? pine as long as needed with routered edges and block letters with the edges of the letters chiseled away. Then I stain the chiseled area a different shade to highlight the letters. I haven't made state cutouts but figure it would be no problem. If you're interested let's talk.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well now here is something that I wanted to share that I had learned at the RV rally in Redmond, OR this last month. You do not want to make a sign to hang on your rv for a few reasons. If your a full timer might not apply but for those of us who still have a house might make more of a difference. The folks from Trailer life mag were giving this seminar and they were talking about how many times a year they hear this story from rv'ers on the road. Many of us hang that sign with our names, city, state and rv groups we belong to on the coach. Well this gives the crooks some well needed info to either rob you or if they have a friend in the city in which you are from all it takes is one quick phone call to say hey "friend" so and so are not home right now as I am standing here looking at thier rv. All friend has to do is look you up in the phone book and presto they have your address and a free pass to break into your home knowing you are in such and such a place with your rv. The speakers also gave another story of all the crook has to do is sit and watch you and your rv from a distance and when your spouse leaves all he has to do is come knock on your door and use your frist name, giving you a line of some sort to gain access to your coach. Could be someone dressed as a repair man (might even have a fake repair invoice, if they are good) and say "bob your husband set up this appt, to have your oven looked at." And the wife figures darn you bob why didnt you tell me about this, but hey the repair man has my info, our names, ect. on the repair invoice so come on in. I think you get where the rest of this is going. The experts recommend you not hang signs with all your info on it. They say dont have one is best, but if you choose to maybe only use your first two names. Do not put city and state from which you live. Thought it was very interesting and wanted to pass along.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:54 AM   #17
Montana_335
Established Member

M.O.C. #335
We were also advised not to display too much information for the same reason. Dangerous! Ours has just our first names.

CathynMel
Montana_335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:12 AM   #18
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Campbud
That sounds so cute. Where is this "guy"? Maybe we can do this on the computer. I made some decals several years ago but the ink fades.
Happy trails.................
We purchased this from Hopedale IL ...he makes them on a computer and has a very large printer. He said the decal will not fade for several years.I dont have his name or address but if we return to the campground this year I will try and get it for you.It is very nice and for $7.50 I thought it was a steal! LOL
Yes we did not have our first names put on it, nor are state. It does have our last name. But you can get anything you would like on it or any design too! Also alot of colors to choose from.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Don and Janey
The sign you make sounds like what we have before. Yes, we are interested. Can you put a little fifth wheel on it besides the name. We had ours last name on it and have not had any strange incidents in 15 years of RVing. If you bought your unit in your home town, and still have the dealers license plate holder on your unit, a thief would know your home town. We have an unlisted phone number at our stick house so am not worried.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #20
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Montana Sky has a valid point. But even scarier try typing your name in the in web search line and let google search. You may be very surprised at what you find. If you are lucky you have't done anything significant to be written up about. I found my self in there for attending to a council meeting regarding a planned building project. Son was in there as well as his wife for being "ham operators" and members of a 4 wheel club.
Fact is if they want you they will find you. Privacy Act no longer exists.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote