Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Accuracy questions about my new TST 507 monitors

I installed the system. 4 monitors on the trailer and 4 on the truck. Beforehand, I set the tire pressures with my Accutire digital pressure gauge. Immediately, I saw a consistent 4-5 lbs. difference between my TST readings and my digital pressure gauge. The TST monitors were that far low. Every one of them.
So, I grabbed a second digital pressure gauge out of one of my cars, and re-check all the tires. Ditto: All 8 TST readings were 4-5 lbs. under that digital gauge as well. What are the chances the 2 different digital gauges are BOTH reading over pressure and by the exact same amount? Suspicions are pointed at the TST system.
That is no small difference and it concerns me about the TST system accuracy. Thoughts?

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I do not concern myself too much with the accuracy, all that matters to me is whether the tires are holding air or losing air. Like you, when I inflate them I use a reliable gauge, then use the monitors to alert me to changes.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I do not concern myself too much with the accuracy, all that matters to me is whether the tires are holding air or losing air. Like you, when I inflate them I use a reliable gauge, then use the monitors to alert me to changes.
Bingo
That's a great point Bingo...Thanks! It isn't the numbers we need to worry about, it's the dropping of those numbers! Yeah, as long as I have a solid baseline before I start rolling, it's all just relative.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Short of going to the Bureau of Weights and Measures there probably isn't any such thing as a totally accurate air gauge. We recently got all new tires on the F350. When we reinstalled the TST they all read about 30 lbs. less than what they should have been. We checked each with our handheld and all read within 3 or 4 lbs. of the TST. We returned to where we bought the tires to have the pressure rechecked. All of the tire dealer gauges indicated the pressure that should have been in the tires. This proves that even the pros don't have accurate gauges. As those above have said, this is like horseshoes and hand grenades. Close is good enough.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Short of going to the Bureau of Weights and Measures there probably isn't any such thing as a totally accurate air gauge. We recently got all new tires on the F350. When we reinstalled the TST they all read about 30 lbs. less than what they should have been. We checked each with our handheld and all read within 3 or 4 lbs. of the TST. We returned to where we bought the tires to have the pressure rechecked. All of the tire dealer gauges indicated the pressure that should have been in the tires. This proves that even the pros don't have accurate gauges. As those above have said, this is like horseshoes and hand grenades. Close is good enough.
30 lbs. less?!?! Holy cow! That isn't even in the ballpark. I wonder what the explanation is if TST is asked about that kind of variance?
Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ours have always been within a pound of my gauge.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I have a few digital tire gauges in my garage and had one in my TV. I stopped using them because I would drive my self crazy trying to get all my tire to the exact same pressure down to the .0. I would air up the tires all to the same pressure with the digital gauge then go spot check them when I was done to find them reading 1-3 pounds different. Plus you have to replace the batteries and as the batteries start getting weak I'm guessing the accuracy will change. I went and got a good analog tire pressure gauge/inflator that I keep in my TV and don't worry about being that precise. My TST reading are always with in 1-2 pound of my gauge and I don't have to worry about the batteries in the gauge being dead when I need it.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Same here....My TST reads about 2-3 lbs different from my gauges. I have a Cheap gauge and a Expensive gauge. They are about 4-5 psi different.

When I first check the tires with the TST, they are all within a couple lbs of each other. That is all I care about. The same reading.

Tire temps. They usually are the same on the same side. My Ram exhaust will make the tires on the right side about 5-10 degrees hotter especially with a slight tail wind. On the trip this last Monday the left was 59 degrees on the left and 70 degrees on the right. And no it is not the sunny side of the trailer.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:07 AM   #9
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I have two different digital gages and one analog that I use at different times (depending on which one is closer to grab) to check/fill my tires on the Monty. My TST 507 with the flow through devices are always within 1-2 lbs. of what my other gages read. Again, not to concerned about accuracy (although I am a bit anal retentive), but like Bingo says, knowing about changes in pressure and/or temperature is my biggest concern with the TST system. -Glenn
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote