Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
TerryRadtke
Established Member

M.O.C. #10805
2011 Montana 3750 FL

Just bought the 3750 FL from Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, Michigan. Drove 2000 miles to pick it up and bring it back to Goodyear, Az. My question is on the Flair air bed in the living room. I "attempted" to set it up, just to make sure I could successfully operate it, and ran into a bit of a problem, that neither Flair nor Keystone Montana can quickly solve. When I pull the assembly forward to put the front legs down and unzip the airbed, I'm about 2 and a half feet short of supporting the lower end of the air bed. There are 6 velcro hooks under the air bed, that assumably hook onto the foot extension area of the bed. When you blow up the air bed, it's not far enough away from the wall to adequately support the lower end of the bed. Does anyone have a solution for this problem? Are you supposed to pull the couch away from the wall 2 and a half feet to adequately support the mattress. When I talked to Montana, they said that they went out to one of their RV's and measure the over hang to be 10 inches on the foot end of the bed with the couch extended. They didn't have a 3750 to check, but told me they are all the same. Either I'm missing an extender part, or they have a design issue, or your supposed to physically pull the couch out 2 and a half feet when you lay the mattress down. Any operating experience out there to help me?

TerryRadtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Did Lakeshore not do a walk-through with you to show you how everything operates?? Ours is tomorrow, and I will not be signing any papers until I am fully familiar with every aspect of the unit. I will check it out tomorrow and get back with you to see how ours works.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
TerryRadtke
Established Member

M.O.C. #10805
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Did Lakeshore not do a walk-through with you to show you how everything operates?? Ours is tomorrow, and I will not be signing any papers until I am fully familiar with every aspect of the unit. I will check it out tomorrow and get back with you to see how ours works.
Bingo
Yep, did a 2 hour walkdown with them, all we did on the air bed was drop the front down, put the legs out, unzip the air bed and he showed me the air bed control box, zipped it all back up again and said it's a piece of cake, you just blow up the mattress and lay it on the folded out section of the couch. I should have questioned the relatively short distance between the wall at the back of the couch and where the legs folded down at the foot of the bed, but I missed that detail. I talked to the guy that we did the walkdown with on the phone yesterday at Lake Shore RV, and he told me to take pictures, and that he's done "hundreds" of these things and they all work the same. I asked him if he's ever done it on a 3750 FL before and he said no, they didn't have one on the lot. I'm an engineer, and not the dumbest fellow around, so I really think he thinks that I just don't know what I'm doing. I called Flair and they were already headed home on a Friday afternoon. Only way I can figure to make this work is either to just lay it down in front of the fireplace on the floor and stay off the couch all together, or pull the couch away from the wall, it does move, however there are some lighting and speaker wires routed under the couch, I don't think that their design intent was to pull out the couch. I reminded the guy we did the walkthrough with that he was admittedly not familiar with the 3750 FL Montana when we walked through it. He couldn't figure out why the bedspread in the bedroom pulled off the bed everytime you opened the slides. I pointed out to him that the end of the bed slides into the closet area and pushes it in under spring pressure, trapping the bedspread in the drawers where it pushes into the slide, everytime. He told me he's never seen that before, I had to point it out to him that it's a bit of a design issue. We have to throw the bedspread up on the middle of the bed each time we close the slides to prevent the bedspread from getting trapped behind the closet side slideout. Let me know what you find out on the air bed, much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Velco goes to foot of the bed, head of the bed hangs over. We have our sofa 3 inches from the wall. We have used it 3 or 4 times, no one has complained.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
TerryRadtke
Established Member

M.O.C. #10805
[quote]Originally posted by cwalker

Velco goes to foot of the bed, head of the bed hangs over. We have our sofa 3 inches from the wall. We have used it 3 or 4 times, no one has complained.

[/quote Wish I knew how to attach pictures, my mattress hangs off the end of the bed by about 2.5 feet, nothing for the velcro to attach to but thin air. My distance from the headboard wall to the end of the end of the footboard end that you store the mattress in is about 5.5 feet, hence the 2.5 feet of overhang. I'm missing some kind of footboard extender, or there's a design issue. I can't imagine the 3750 being any different than your 3665, so I'm not sure what's up.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TerryRadtke

Wish I knew how to attach pictures.....
Here is a link on posting a "States Visited Map" to your profile. It is essentially the same process to post any picture as the "Map" and your pictures are all JPGs. Because the MOC has a maximum size restriction on embedded pictures, you may have to re-size the image before uploading it. This is not difficult to do but an alternative is to just post a link to the picture instead of embedding it. Remove the [img] and [/img] tags from the URL and a link to the picture will be created.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=40564

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Terry,
Our tech and us could not figure the details out either. I watched the video on Flair's site and it did not help. I e-mailed Flair and actually got a response this morning that did not help either. The insist there is 5" of overhang, but I also have the two foot or so hanging over. We have a worse issue however, that the mattress won't hold air, so we will have it replaced, until then, girls are sleeping on the floor (the air mattress won;t even fit on the floor). If I find out anything, I will let you know. I do agree that there has to be some sort of extension mechanism that is missing on our models??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
TerryRadtke
Established Member

M.O.C. #10805
Quote:

Terry,
Our tech and us could not figure the details out either. I watched the video on Flair's site and it did not help. I e-mailed Flair and actually got a response this morning that did not help either. The insist there is 5" of overhang, but I also have the two foot or so hanging over. We have a worse issue however, that the mattress won't hold air, so we will have it replaced, until then, girls are sleeping on the floor (the air mattress won;t even fit on the floor). If I find out anything, I will let you know. I do agree that there has to be some sort of extension mechanism that is missing on our models??

Thanks for the reply, Bingo. Was starting to think that I was missing something big-time and about to be embarrassed by something that everyone knew but me. I'll call Flair tomorrow and see what they have to say, I'm going to go to a nearby dealer here in the Phx area and see if they have a 3750 that they can "show me" how it's supposed to work. There is warranty info printed on the mattress with phone number. Let me know what you find out, I'll keep you posted as well!!
Bingo
Old 10-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
We used ours on our 2011 Mountaineer 347THT many times now without any issues. Properly inflated it's a pretty comfy bed imo, seems like a good design to us. Good luck.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
What would assist us more than saying that it works good, is to provide some photos of how the sofa is converted to the bed frame before the air mattress is put on it and inflated. Those of you who have no problems with the bed cannot tell me that the foot of the bed is hanging over the frame of the sofa by more than two feet!! Evidently the Flair sofa beds in the 3750 have changed!!
bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
TerryRadtke and any other 3750FL owners with this difficulty,
The solution is at hand. The wrong air mattress was provided for the model sofa we have. Flair is UPSing me a replacement 54" wide air mattress that lays with the sofa, not perpendicular to it!! The contact person at Flair is Elaine Zmudzinski 574-534-2163 ext 114. She is expecting your call. Elaine also e-mailed me a PDF of the instruction for that sofa bed. If you want I can forward it to you or tell Elaine to send it to you as well. Thank goodness, since both of us are engineers, that it turns out that we had not slipped a brain cog after all!!! It all makes sense now!!
Bingo
On edit, fixed the fat-fingered phone number!!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #12
TerryRadtke
Established Member

M.O.C. #10805
Quote:

TerryRadtke and any other 3750FL owners with this difficulty,
The solution is at hand. The wrong air mattress was provided for the model sofa we have. Flair is UPSing me a replacement 54" wide air mattress that lays with the sofa, not perpendicular to it!! The contact person at Flair is Elaine Zmudzinski 574-531-2163 ext 114. She is expecting your call. Elaine also e-mailed me a PDF of the instruction for that sofa bed. If you want I can forward it to you or tell Elaine to send it to you as well. Thank goodness, since both of us are engineers, that it turns out that we had not slipped a brain cog after all!!! It all makes sense now!!
Bingo

All right, I'll call right now, I like stories with happy endings. Hope to meet you some day out on the road, thanks for all your help. The value of a site such as this has just paid off! There is strength in numbers and asking good questions. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #13
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Quote:

Elaine Zmudzinski 574-531-2163 ext 114.
Bingo
Number for Elaine is 574-534-2163 ext. 114.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Captain!! I made the change. Does that mean that we have three wrongly supplied air mattresses so far??
Bingo

Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Looks like it. Received your email and PDF file. Thanks. Based on your info, I was able clearly see that our air bed was the wrong size. Called Elaine and she took care of me and the replacement air bed and return authorization are on their way. Elaine was great.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #16
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Bingo/Terry,
Off topic, but your above reply brought up other questions. You stated that there were electrical and speaker wires under the Air Bed sofa. Can they be hidden?

Plus, we are waiting for a response from Keystone as to why they do not offer a two recliner/end table option vs. the J-sofa. Can the J-sofa be removed? Are the recliners a weight issue? Or, are the recliners headroom the issue? So far, I like the J-sofa, but I want to know if switching is an option and what are the negatives. Do either of you know the answers?
Joe
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Glad you folks found an answer with a practical solution. The air mattress in my 3750 fits and worked fine from day one so I must have gotten the right size. I'm a little disappointed it is only the size of a full but so be it. Two adults have slept on it and were reasonably comfortable.

The more time in the 3750 fl the more we like it. The engineer of this floor plan is a genius!

Happy camping.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
The biggest issue I have seen is the slides with the sofas have elevated floors. If you look at the side of the sofa ans the slide, you will see that the sofa front extends down to cover the raised floor of the slide. I am sure the wires could be hidden beneath the carpet under the sofas, but I believe the recliners would be an issue because of the drop-off and the required room for them to fully recline. Just a thought
Bingo

Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 AM   #19
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
The air mattress is supposed to run parallel with the wall, not perpendicular. So it is actually only a full-size mattress not a queen. We thought it went the other way as well, but it works with the width of the couch, not lengthwise from the wall. Hope this helps - good luck!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Snowhawk2,
It took us a while, but we did figure out finally that we were placing the mattress wrong. What was deceiving is the mattresses that came with ours were the large mattresses. When placed parallel with the wall, they were completely above the sofa arms and extended from the edge of the slide to the other edge. This resulted in the mattress being in a big bow on the sofa and still extended about 10" beyond the framing. The proper mattress as described by Flair should rest between the arms of the sofa!
Bingo