Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
Montana_335
Established Member

M.O.C. #335
Banks vs Edge Exhaust Systems

I have a 2001 F250 7.3 Diesel I am considering adding one to my truck. Have any of you added either of these to your truck and what were the results? Which is the better of the two? And, if possible what is the cost of the system. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise with me.

Mel

Montana_335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Yeah...Banks stainless on a 02 Dodge. Much noiseier then stock ... same fuel economy empty... haven't towed with it yet.

Can't say I'm real thrilled with the roar at 2,000 rpm... but we'll see.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Mel - I have to ask this question --- Are you having power problem with your Ford Diesel, or do you just want it??
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Meel, I hjabe 2001 F250 4x4 CC, SRW. I have added the K&N Next generation filter system and Gibson Cat back 4" exhaust. As Gruffy stsaed it does make it good bit noisier. I have also added BD Power Monitor kit that checks trans temp, exhaust tem, and boost. Also have hypertech Tunner III, stage 2 installed, that make sthe biggest difference of all. the exhuast was $279, BD Monitor, $475, K7N $225, hypertech $300. Hypertech made it a new truck, you talk about power it has it know, just installed that over Christams, my present to me. Haven't towed with it yet but we will see, Hypertech told me that it is safe tot tow in all three stages, but I stayed in middle to be sure. Also forgot to add that I installed Banks trans command as well a few years back it helps with locking up the transmisson torque convertor, made for towing heavy loads.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
cooksters
Established Member

M.O.C. #2646
CathyNMel,

I have a 2002 F250 7.3L probably very near the set up as you. I had a smaller Holiday Rambler 5th and in the stock setup I really felt that there was no pulling problems. But when I got my Montana I noticed that temperature buildup was now an issue. The 7.3L has plenty of HP to pull but some of the other components were the weaker links. Heat is a killer...engine, tranny, rear end, and especially the turbo. So I went the distance and installed a banks 4 " power elbo and exhaust system. I also installed a 3 gage pod system to watch Exhaust Gas Temperature, or EGT, Boost, and Tranny temp. I can monitor the EGT when I'm pulling up steep grades and that gives me confidence that I know exactly what is happening to my engine. I have a heavy foot and that 7.3L Power could get me into trouble so monitoring the EGT keeps me in check and I'll back off to let the temps fall. Having the larger exhaust makes a big difference in exhaust temps at the turbo. There are many systems to look at, I personally felt the the Banks offered proven reliability and a warranty better than the others. I'm very happy with the sound, it's not too loud, and the way that it looks...very nice. If you go to my profile you can see the other things that I did to my setup. I'd be more than happy to discuss those items in more detail with you.
Steve
cooksters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
For what it is worth, I have a friend who is a mechanic on a fleet. He claims that just coring the muffler will get about as much help as one of the big pipe exhausts. I havent tried it as I seem to be doing ok with the stock exhaust and the Hypertech.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
For reliablilty and longevity of the trans, the trans command is a great first step. I did it to a Ford I had years ago and it really stiffened up the shidts with the E4OD trans. A trans shop that I did work for highly reccomended it.

The exhaust will help lower the egt's a little and actually helps then recover faster when they do climb. More air in and out of the motor is a good first step. A programmer or a box will work better with the exhaust mods.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote