Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
greyhound
Established Member

M.O.C. #10617
A/C problem

Recently on a trip where the temperature averaged 85 degrees, we would turn the air on early and set it to 72 degrees. After about 4 hours the A/C stopped cooling, but the fan was still working. We assumed that it had frozen up so we shut it off with the fan running on manual. After about a half hour, water drained from the A/C indicating it was thawed out. We then turned on the A/C and it worked fine, but by then the interior temperature had reached 85 degrees. It took the A/C 3 hours to cool it 3 degrees. This happened 3 days in a row. When we got home, we checked the filter and pulled the cover off the A/C. There was very little to clean.

Do we have an air conditioner problem, or are we not running it correctly, or do we need a 2nd A/C?

greyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
If the coil froze up there is usually only 2 reasons. Clogged air filter or low on freon. If the filter is clean and you have good air flow then I would suggest you have the unit looked at by a repair shop. There is usually a 20 degree temperature drop across the indoor coil, if you have a thermometer hold it at the ceiling diffuser. If the temp in the 5er is 85 then the air comming out should be about 65 degrees. If it is much higher then you have a problem with the unit. Good luck.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Not that I know much about a/c but I'll add a 3rd potential reason. There is a small temperature probe connected by a wire that is stuck in the fins. Mine fell out and caused the coils to freeze. I had to remove the inside cover and stick it back in between the fins. The problem was solved.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good responses.
I do think you need a second A/C unit. Get the 15k unit.
Good luck!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
greyhound
Established Member

M.O.C. #10617
Thanks for your suggestions. We are leaning towards getting a second AC, but would like to make sure the original unit is working well too. We just hate to take it in for service without knowing something about the problem, if possible. We have had service techs that don't seem to know what they are doing.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One last thing to check. If you are running the fan on low in a high humidity area you will freeze the coils up. Ever since we bought our first TT the RV techs have told us at the PDI to never run the fan on low.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by greyhound

Thanks for your suggestions. We are leaning towards getting a second AC, but would like to make sure the original unit is working well too. We just hate to take it in for service without knowing something about the problem, if possible. We have had service techs that don't seem to know what they are doing.
Did you check the sensor Ken spoke of?
Was the fan on high?
Did you wait until the temperatures got high before the A/C was turned on? (You need to turn it on when you know it will get hot, with a single unit, it needs a head-start)
Do you have 15-20 degree temp drop?
We have to have this info in order to help you out.
Thanks, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
greyhound
Established Member

M.O.C. #10617
Oz, thanks for your reply.

I looked for the thermostatic probe you and Ken are referred to, and I believe it was not connected to an electrical wire. But it appears to be part of the freon system in the sealed evaporator area connected by two small freon lines. I did not want to tear apart the evaporator area to verify this.

I believe the fan was not on high at the time of the freeze up because the A/C unit was on automatic. We're not totally positive as we were away from the trailer prior to the freeze up.

The day of the problem we did turn the unit on early, but left the it on auto which we believe is a mistake. Medium or high on manual might have been better. We think it stayed on low while we were gone. We did turn the unit on by mid-morning.

We have tested the unit since we have been home, and it seems to be working fine with temperatures in the low 80's.

The temperature drop at the main air dump in the living area was 24 degrees lower than room temp.

We plan to take a trip in 2 weeks where the projected temps will be in the high 80's and low 90's. We plan on running the air on manual using high or medium fan through the main vent and not using the air ducts during the heat of the day. We will set the temp no lower than 75, and see if we have more problems.

If this doesn't work, it looks like a 2nd A/C is in our future!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
The second AC is saving our butts right now. Our main AC bought the farm and I can't figure out why it won't start. So it goes into a dealer on Monday since I have an extended warranty and very limited tools with me. These are not camping rigs where they have big wide open windows. With out the second AC we would be in a hotel right now. Also with the heat we just came thru to get here like 111 in Nashville and 109 in Ark. that second AC was worth it's weight in gold. We only had the 13.5k unit installed and cost me $900 out the door and is worth every cent.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have always run our A/C on auto in our 06 3400 and never had a freeze up or a problem. Both A/c's in the new Big sky are 15.5 BTU ducted (zone 1,zone2).

They both have been running on auto for the last two weeks in ths very hot very humid weather. We have them both set at 80 degrees and they are keeping the temp there. In fact the one in the rear will cycle on and off as it is in more shade than the front one.

I will say that this Big Sky seems to be much better insulated than the 06 3400.Helen complained that it was to cold inside.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have always run our A/C on auto in our 06 3400 and never had a freeze up or a problem. Both A/c's in the new Big sky are 15.5 BTU ducted (zone 1,zone2).

They both have been running on auto for the last two weeks in ths very hot very humid weather. We have them both set at 80 degrees and they are keeping the temp there. In fact the one in the rear will cycle on and off as it is in more shade than the front one.

I will say that this Big Sky seems to be much better insulated than the 06 3400.Helen complained that it was to cold inside.
80* is to cold.......yikes!!! LOL
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote