Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2006, 02:07 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Morryde

As I said the other night, I left Keystone and went about 8 miles to Morryde.. My appointment was supposed to be for Tuesday but because it took longer than expected at Keystone, I didn’t get there until Thursday afternoon. I had been in contact with Morryde and they had been over to Keystone to measure my rig.
They were most accommodating. They let me back right into the shop. Despite years of hauling trailers, I had never backed anything as big into a garage. With a good spotter it was a piece of cake. I spent the night in my rig in the garage, also a first.
At 5:00 the next morning they were ready to go. I spent much of the day in their waiting room but I went out to check on progress frequently. I confess–it was boring. They didn’t quite get it done on Friday so I spent another night in the garage. They were back at work on Saturday at 7:00 and done by 8:00. After a quick test ride with the technician I was on my way home.
I had the Morryde IS independent suspension, electric hydraulic disc brakes and the pin box installed. It is a pricy combination but we have decided to keep this rig a while. The trailer now rides better than the truck. I left some unbreakable stuff on the counters as a test and I didn’t bungy any cabinets. In 1000 miles, including going through Detroit, Toronto and Montreal as well as Dixville Notch New Hampshire, nothing came off the counters and no cabinets opened. I could see in the rear view that the trailer was riding steady as a rock. There is also much less “clunking” on start and stop due to the pinbox. It is not entirely eliminated but I suspect that is because my hitch is a bit worn.
Most importantly, and the main reason I did it, this rig will stop-Now! I have the integrated brake controller on my new truck and without the disc brakes I could not lock up with it set at maximum gain. Now it locks at 5. There is no brake fade, no uneven braking and no squeal. No matter how much I adjusted and tweaked my old brakes, I never could completely eliminate the squeal. I think the combination of engine breaking with the tow-haul feature on the truck and the new brakes, makes a quantum leap in safety. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the package.

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks for the terrific report, David! If one where to just put on those disc brakes, approx how much would they be looking at?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
The disc brakes alone were about $3100. I don't know but I don't think you can put them on the stock axle. Call Gary Wheeler (574)293-1581 or (574) 370-9135
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I take it that was installed? What kind of axle is required?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Just had Mor-Ryde install disc brakes on my 2004 3655FL. Work great. Total out the door was $2626.55. I have AlKo axles with 6 lug wheels.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we find we are doing a lot of over the road towing The Mor-Ryde disk brakes will be on our list. IMO the braking system on these very heavy campers are unsafe at any speed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote