Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer

We just purchased one of these units from CW (on sale $19.) but I'm wondering where other people that have these might have mounted the outdoor sensor. I really didn't think about it before I ordered it but now that it's here I'm struggling a little. At home, you mount it in an area that's not directly in the sun, obviously in our Monty we don't know what that area will ever be. I thought about somewhere in the front where its usually shaded, but just don't know. Has anyone else used one of these and what did you do?

The other nice thing about this particular one there is an extra sensor that you can put in your refrigerator and that way you can monitor the temp without opening the door.

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I have mine in the LP compartment, as its open on the bottom. Readings are consistant with news weather temperature.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Somewhere where it can be under the awning most of the time and out of direct sunlight.Got one of those at Wally-Mart a couple of years ago for like 8.95.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
We have two indoor/outdoor thermometers that we use in the trailer. Both came from Walmart. One is used for the frig. The other I have the sensor mounted under the hitch on the brake wire junction box. It is in the shade 100% of the time, but does pick up some reflection of ground heat in the afternoon if the Monty is parked pointed to the west, otherwise it works perfectly. I do not remove it for travel.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I mounted mine under the overhang above the front compartment. It is out of the weather and in the shade. I mounted it with velcro so I remove it when we travel.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Ours is on the curbside of the hitch, and I do remove it when we travel.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Same as RVFirefighter...under the overhang w/velcro and then removed for travel. Other one is in the fridge.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Velcro it to the top of the king pin bracket under the over hang. We remove it when traveling. Placing it on the top of the bracket makes it very visible and unlikely we would forget to remove when hooking up.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Thanks to everyone for your reply. I think Steve has a great idea, I'm afraid I'd forget it if it wasn't in a visible location.

mac
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like others under the king pin box where I can't miss it as I pull the wire to connect to TV when we wre ready to pull out.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al attached ours under the king pin too, permanently (only I cannot remember how he did it). By being permanent, it is one less thing we have to take off, take down, put away and then reverse when we arrive.

Only thing annoying about ours is that at about 37 degrees (outside temp) the thing starts this very annoying beep beep beep. Like I want the thing to wake me up at 4:45 AM to tell me it is 37 degrees outside. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!! I take the batteries out and put back when I know the silly thing won't alarm me in the middle of my sleep.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Carol, I'd invest in another one.

Just thought I'd mention this little "tidbit". For extreme temps (below 14 degrees) regular alkaline batts won't function for long. Also for higher temps, but can't remember the exact high temp range. I bought my first one of these dutring the winter for our house in N Mich. I was thinking this was pretty cool - until I read the instructions at home that said that the remote won't work in temps less than 14 degrees. Why the heck do they sell these things north of the Mason-Dixon Line??? That's about the stupidest thing I ever heard (or bought - OK, that not true...).

Anyway, I discovered lithium batts handle a MUCH lower temp. Our remote handled -30 degrees easily.

And you are all saying, "I DON'T EVER INTEND TO BE ANYWHERE WHERE I HAVE TO USE LITHIUM BATTERIES" Right???

They are much more hardy, though and I do recommend them, even with the extra cost.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 AM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I mounted mine inside of the king pin box. That way I don't have to remove it when I travel down the road. It is protected from the road spray. It tracks with the local weather stations.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I looked on line at the indoor/outdoor thermometer at Camping World.The one for 20 bucks only comes with 1 sensor.Is this the same one you bought Mqac?Where did you pick up the other sensor.i don`t see a listing for an extra one on line.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Funny you should mention that, because the ad in CW was different a couple weeks ago, but when I looked again yesterday I saw the same thing you just said (you see I hadn't opened the package until yesterday since I wasn't going to bring the 5ver home until tomorrow). SO, someone else must have called them on it and they changed their ad. You can order another sensor though, I emailed the company yesterday and have not heard back from them yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, wait a minute, I shouldn't apologize for CW!

mac
Old 05-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We bought one a couple of weeks ago but I see they charged me 9.99 so maybe I got a different one. I originally put the sensor above the front locker door on the vertical front wall. I then discovered when it is 112 outside with no wind the sensor reads a bit high in that location. I moved it to just below the locker door and it dropped about two degrees. Mine has a sensor that fits into a bracket that is double sided taped onto the Montana. I remove the sensor before travel as I don't want water getting into the sensor openings. And I don't want it to fall off, either. Someday I'll screw the bracket in place.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We put ours in the basement on the curb side. It may be a little different than optimum, but not much. That way it is always mounted and doesn't need to be put away. Screwed the mounting bracket into the wall. We also have a non-wireless that I keep in the bedroom and just put the sensor in the screen. We just use that one to see how even the coach is heating/cooling and also to know how to dress to take the labrador out for his walk.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We mounted our sensor inside the king pin box, where the birds like to build their nest. Since we used industrial strength velcro, the sensor rides there nicely, even on the bumpy roads to Alaska and back. If it does fall off, it just drops into the hollow part of the king pin. We do not remove it to travel.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We put our sensor in the passenger side propane tank compartment. Attached it with Velco (excuse me, hook and loop material) and it stays put without getting water on it. Since the bottom, side area of the compartment is open to the outside, the temps are accurate, at least for us.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like the idea of mounting the remote in the pinbox. That is much better than where I mounted ours. I will move ours tomorrow. Do you find the temperatures distorted by being in a semi-enclosed area?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote