Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Send a message via AIM to Chad Brooks
Side compartment lift shock

I have not added one yet, but I plan too. I was wandering if anyone else has done this and do you have a parts list and/or photos? I only car about adding it to the compartment door under the bedroom slide. I want to be able to hold this door up while the slide is out.

thanks

Chad Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:46 AM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I also want to install something of this nature, as I know its just a matter of time when the doors fall down and give me a BIG wack. I know someone from MOC has the answer and I will be watching for the reply.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I also will be looking for the reply to this question. Thoes doors are not real heavy but the do hurt when they fall on the old noggin.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Not a bad idea!

Especially for the one right behind the pin. That sucker is always hitting me.

I don't know if anybody has priced them, I've heard that they're pretty pricy.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
JLBoz60 (John) mounted the same type of holder that holds the coach door open. No more falling compartment doors.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
A swing down prop rod would be the easiest thing to do, but I think I prefer a lift shock. I will see what I can come up with and take some photos. I don't think the hardware would be much at all from the local Lowes!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:28 AM   #7
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
The gas struts talked about here have certain dimensions that you will need to address before purchasing. Its not rocket science, but here are the basic "numbers" you'll need to jot down:
1. Extended length in inches; the compressed (collapsed) length in inches; the stroke (E - C).
2. Weight of the hatch---these struts are classified by the amount of weight they must push and hold. This value is expressed as Force using pounds as the value.
3. Number of struts per hatch. A large hatch like under the pin will require two stuts so as to keep the hatch "plumb" while opening and distribute the weight evenly. A small hatch may only require one.
4. End fitting type. Most of these struts are ball & clip units with different types of mounting brackets available.

Most larger auto supply stores handle these units and of course places like CW as well. The actual term used by NAPA is "Gas Charged Lift Supports". If you go to a NAPA store, look on page 569 in their PSA (Parts-Supplies-Accessories) catalogue. i would assume Auto Zone and other chain auto parts retailers carry a similar item. Let me know how your project(s) turn out.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I'm very interested, I have been hit with the sharp edge of the door and bled like #*** I store all my working tools there and am in it alot
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 AM   #9
Jim and Carolyn

M.O.C. #2390
The '06s have a different type of door on this compartment; it is a split door that opens to the side. This way the door cannot fall on you and opens fully with the bedroom slide out.
Does anyone know if earlier units can be retrofitted with these new doors and what the cost would be. This would be a great solution for me.

Jim
Jim and Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
tbolen

M.O.C. #1103
I HAVE PUT THE GAS STRUTS ON ALL 3 OF MY DOORS. I BELIEVE I USED THE 40 LBS I GOT FROM CW. I PUT ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE DOOR. I REINFORCED THE DOOR WITH A 6X6 INCH PIECE OF SHEET METAL. IT TOOK ABOUT 15 MINUTES PER DOOR.
tbolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Chad Brooks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3899
Terry can you post a picture of one of your door with the shock? thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
For $5 and less than 10 minutes, I also mounted a 6" catch like the one on the screen door. The male part is attached to the bedroom slide frame, the female part is on the swing-up door.

Works for us.

Norm
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:48 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I did a similar upgrade as nkwist did and it works great. I use the factory holder when the bedroom slide is closed and the new door holder when the slide is out. The door holder I used is an "L" shaped male end which points downed to the door when it's connected. the female part is installed on the outer (lower)edge of the door. I then added a white piece of Velcro on the male arm to hold it down and secure to the bedroom slide when towing.

Works great - just have to remember if door is connected when opening and closing side.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #14
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
Check out Camping World - they list shocks and the mounting pin plates.
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote