Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
weinervill
Established Member

M.O.C. #4078
Satellite Hookup

I have a new 328rls Mountaineer and want to hookup my house Satelitte receiver to take with me on the road. I know it can be done I see all kinds in the RV parks. Today I tried hooking it to the cable inlet on my trailer but no luck...I checked the owners manual and nothing on satelitte hookups. Any help will be much appreciated.

weinervill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
weinervill,
You should get better response but here is what I know. The cable feed and the crankup antenna go to the same preamplifier box. You do not use the cable feed. Someplace there is another connection just like the cable feed that is your satellite prep connection. You want your satellite to come from your dish to your receiver directly. The main reason is there is voltage and signal riding on the satellite hookup where the cable and TV antenna only have signal. Voltage (12VDC) on the cable and TV feed does not do the preamp any good. On our 02 model the satellite feed is right behind the TV on the outside wall.
Hope this helps. Good luck and safe towing.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Maybe this will help. It is an old post.
http://montanaadministrator.forumco....,connector.asp

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Your montana may not be pre wired for sat dish if it is not you will have to install a connection from the out side to the inside so you can connect drict fromthe dish to the reciever if you do not want to put in a permenant hookup you can buy a flat connector that will go thru the window or door at radio shack. If you go permenant you will need a mail connector on the out side and one on the inside to connect your coax too always use RG6 cable for Sat connections
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Weinervill Look for the Sat Prep connection on the outside wall. It is usually up near the water connections. If it isn't there follow Jackw87 advice. It is easy to add one. Or you can get the flat cable adapter that goes through a window opening for temporary. The previous owners of our 3280RL added two outside coax connections. So we have the original cable connection, the Sat prep, and two more that go through the wall into the tv cabinet. I have never used all four at the same time and figure there must have been something other than tv installed at one time.

I have had the park cable and the Sat dish hooked at the same time and also used the antenna just to understand how the signals get to the TV. About the only thing you need to do is make sure the preamp switch is off unless you are using the antenna. I was also trying to figure out the feed for the bedroom tv. I had that figured out last time out but will need to refresh my memory next time I use it.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
Heli 190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4448
I have a new 3670 and was disapointed with what Montana calls Sat. Ready. There was a short coax looped between two jacks. I traced the jacks, one went to the amplified TV ant in the bedroom and one went outside to a jack that was supposed to be either park cable or sat.
There is another jack on the middle shelf that comes from the TV ant. I put in a distribution box , but found out I could not split the cable coming into the rv between cable and sat. even though I had a switch to turn one or the other off. With the park cable hooked up , my sat reciever got pretty hot. I ended up putting another jack on the outside wired direct to my sat reciever.The new Montana's are not sat ready unless you want to keep switching wires whenever you switch signal source.Walt
Heli 190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #7
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Weinervill,

I have a 305FKS Mountaineer and added the external weatherproof cable jack for my satellite hookup.

The install was easy, using a coax feedthru weatherproof external cover and RG6 cable thru the entertainment center cabinets and to the satellite rec'vr. There are many paths you can run cable, I took the straight shot in and up thru the back corner of the shelf.I used cable and connectors acquired from a local electronics parts distributor - nothing fancy.

You can also cable up thru the wall to an additional interior wall jack for dedicated satellite jack.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:51 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
There's another thread going right now under "General" you may want to check out. Also when you do a search (for satellite and or dish), change the number where it looks back a month or whatever to the largest (I think it says in the last year) and you should get lots of info.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote