Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
User names Part II

The below quoted from the Original User names thread.
Quote:
quoteon't have a problem with people knowing who we are.
My question is---Why do some of us chose names other than our given names?
Years ago I did the same with such handles as Damifino, C&R, BSer, Angler, and GlennNY just to name a few. I found it to be too confusing when logging in and it was simpler for folks to remember us by our given names.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Two thoughts.
1) Some of us may have more to hide than others.
2) Some need more marketing than others.
Ain't it wonderful to be "normal."
One other thought. The very act of being creative is an act of being abnormal. From a profeesor of Creativity at Stanford.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Some of us just started using "user names" that have remained with us from IM, Chat, or other forums. We are asked to enter "user name", so that suggests to us old timers that we are expected to use a pseudonym. Since this usually happens before we actually enter the chat or become a member it makes good sense to stick with a handle. Once we find ourselves in such good company as the MOC many of us use both our handle and our real names. This is my take on the matter.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:07 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Padredw has pretty much nailed the situation for me as well. When I first started using the Internet, I was going to have my name in my e-mail account, but someone I knew suggested that might not be the safest way to go, so I created a pseudonym. I applied the same line of thought for forums when I was prompted to create a user name for the first one I truly joinedseveral years ago, and I have simply stayed with it—that way I avoid the problem of multiple user names you suggest you experienced.

Additionally, it can be an interesting exercise to say something about yourself. Certainly your name is a unique expression in its own way, but it does not truly provide a snapshot of you or say something about your life; after all, and typically, we had no voice in the matter.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:52 AM   #5
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
For those who use a "handle" you can still allow (or not) members to know your real name in your profile. Just for fun, I browsed through the first few pages of profiles and found that most members list their names. I can understand someone not wanting to list their real name, but that is a personal choice.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:05 AM   #6
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Because pseudonym's are cool and fun!
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I'm with some of the other posts above. I try to use the same user id for every forum, mail etc I can. That way I can REMEMBER. I've used Chester for about 6 years now.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
RnR
Established Member

M.O.C. #161
Glenn,
Which given name do we use?
The one on our b-certificate or the one usually used by the spouse?

Garry (RnR)
RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:52 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Wordsmith on this. Protection in the beginning of the Internet was really important especially since we didn't have good filters. Then when I started my own consulting business, I needed my email to have my name so people could find and remember me. I found it didn't make a lot of difference since there were a lot of Sue Rowe's in the world. Another thing most work places have a naming convention for email and they are boring so this gives us another way of expressing our individuality.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #10
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Garry (RnR),
I had to use my b-certificate name......I can't use the name(s) that Cheryl uses for me here on a family forum.........
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote