Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
redmouse
Established Member

M.O.C. #8886
Dog gone wild.......where to go to fix it

We just had a heartbreaking experience. Our chocolate lab got out of the kennel while we were gone and did a huge amount of damage to our beloved fifth wheel. I am wondering if anyone has had to replace blinds, chairs, drapes, screens etc on their fifth wheels and where do we even start. I don't know yet if insurance will cover anything but we could be looking at thousands of dollars. What are my chances that keystone still has fabrice to match my decor of my 2008 Montana? How hard is it going to be to get screens replaced?(He demolished them) My chairs are shredded to nothing. I am just sick. He is usually such a quiet, lazy peaceful dog. We don't understand. Luckily it wasn't the walls but I am hoping I could replace things with the same colors to match what didn't get ruined. Anyone have any suggestions or know if insurance might cover it? We have insurance through Progressive.

redmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Are you saying the lab was in a small kennel inside the trailer? I have heard of this from otherwise well behaved dog owners have had them for a while. Others with explanation attribute this to the dog lashing out. The key is if you can keep them restrained they do better, but if they get out, oh what damage they can do!

Well, the first to try is Progressive but good luck with them covering this or any part of it. That would be the easy answer.

If Progressive is no help, then it might be easier to get a similar pattern but different chair and keystone could get you in touch with vendors who provided them with the chairs in the first place (they don't make them they just buy them from a supplier). I did this when the original chairs were falling apart because of poor workmanship. The dealer allowed my to go to their lot and pick out two similar chairs from another rig. They did not match the pattern from the originals but they were close. But mine was a warranty coverage. I also lost the desk chair in another mishap and Keystone recommended a vendor, but an exact replacement was going to be over $500. For one chair? We are currently doing without and will replace it with something cheaper but for now we are enjoying the extra space.

If only the Screen material was damaged this can be replaced by purchasing the spline tool and new screen material but does require some skills if you care that the screen is taut and straight. IF the frame is busted then this would require a replacement screen and frame. You can search the web for the proper size and finish.

It sounds it would be cheapest to replace other like items with similar materials. If you try and match everything exactly then do expect to pay thousands(?). Otherwise with some handiwork or alternative you can find less expensive solution.

Good luck keeping as close a match as possible. If they are different enough it would sure be a constant reminder of what happened and a story to tell for any visitors.

Are you saying the lab was in a small kennel inside the trailer?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yes - check your insurance? Based on your description of damage, I would suggest that you refurbish with residential furniture and draperies - I'm sure a dealer can order the screens for you.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many of us have trashed the furniture that came in the rig long ago and go with residential furniture. In our case we dumped ours in the first two months we owned the Monty. Screens and possibly even draperies may be found at RV salvage facilities, particularly the ones near Goshen, In.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
There are several companies around the country who advertize rehab and updating of both fifth wheels and Motor homes. I have seen their adds in trailer life magazine, and displays at RV shows. Countryside Interiors is one example. Sorry to hear about your damage.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
redmouse
Established Member

M.O.C. #8886
The dog was in a large kennel inside the fifth wheel. He has a kennel that comes apart so we can fit it in the door The bugs were bad outside so my husband felt sorry for him that they would be irritating him. If only we could go back in time! Thanks for the suggestions from everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions for rv salvage yards? The chairs I can find anywhere like you said in residential, and the shades may be able to find close, but the screen and possibly the couple curtains may be tougher but if all else fails I will try to make something!
redmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Google "Elkhart RV Surplus" and "Elkhart RV Salvage"
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Here is a site that may help

RV Salvage
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sharon,
Just take the dog to the nearest Vet they can "fix" it in just one visit!

Quote:
quoteog gone wild.......where to go to fix it
Couldn't resist. I suspect that many of us have had similar experiences! I'll find a picture or two of some of our little guys sharing some of their destructive habits. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Replacing with residential will be money way ahead for sure. We replaced our recliners, the mattress and even the shades and also just got rid of the sofa. We got the shades from Lowes and if you get the right ones they can be cut to filt while you wait. Nice blinds also. We had the day/night shades and strings were fraying or broke on a couple of them so we replaced all of them. This has been some what of a regret as we like the day/night portion of the shades. We have all the stuff to repair the old shades and will be doing that and putting them back up.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote