Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
Montana_1603
Established Member

M.O.C. #1603
Towing questions

New Member, Doug here. Need some advise on the tow truck and the weight thing before we pick our rig. We are looking at the Montana 3295RK and the 3575RL. Reading here about the weight of the loaded rig, it should be about 12,500 on the 3295 and maybe 13,000 on the 3575. Put in some extras (which we don't quite know yet) and we are right at that weight that is approaching too much for a standard 3/4 ton. Is there somewhere to see just what the pure maximum that some of these trucks will actually handle. I would be talking the diesel engine but then there is extras that can be added to increase the power of these rigs. Do I need a larger truck or will a 3/4 ton work with a larger engine? I would imagine that this has been asked here before but I havn't seen it yet. Your ideas on this would be appreciated. Doug

Utahman

Montana_1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by glenbarb

We just purchased a GMC 2500HD Diesel and are wondering what is the best Montana size fifth wheel that we should look at pulling. We are thinking the 2950RK or 2955RL would be best.I like the rear kitchen but am afraid it will be harder to pull is the side kitchens better.

glenbarb, you wont have a problem with the truck....the rear kitchen should not be a factor in regard to towing. It seems the rear kitchen is prone to shake things up a bit. We had one for 5 years and did enjoy. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenbarb, we've had both rear and side kitchens and I don't see that it makes any difference in towing. The rear will bounce the most but a few small precautions will keep your dishes intact. Many of us have been towing rear kitchen Montanas all over the country. If doing it again we'd buy the same model we have now. My recommendation would be to find the floorplan you like best and go with it. Just my opinion, of course. Good luck and keep us posted.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote