Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 03:01 AM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I have never had a problem getting Dish to change my locals when traveling. Home is DFW channels. Have changed in Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas, and south Texas. A phone call to Dish and I have locals from the nearest local city within a few minutes.
Direct TV will give you your home town locals anywhere in the continual USA.

Dish will not.

Phil P
Didn't realize you could actually get your home channels everywhere you go. As long as I can get local (to the area we are in) network channels for news and local weather forecast and maybe History and National Geographic channels and such, and DW can watch her favorite shows on those local network channels, all is well.

Interesting that they can redirect the channels from one spot beam to another.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:25 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never tried to get our home town local channels when out of our spot beam. We do on occasion ask for and get the local channels in the area we are in if we can not receive them via the bat wing antenna .We do not see the value of watching our home town news and weather if we are hundreds or thousands of miles away. We want to see the local news and weather wherever we are.

Here in the area of Florida we winter in we would have to choose between the Orlando or Tampa, Fl locals if we asked directv to change. We just run up the bat wing and get both the Tampa and Orlando locals and more.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don't think you can get your local channels when you are out of the area the spot beam covers. You can get the local channels where you are.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Rich, when you get out of your spot beam, you lose the non-cable channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC. When you call to get Direct TV (or Dish I presume) to change your equipment location, you will get ABC, CBS, and NBC from the nearest big city, not your home town, so you do get local weather, sports, news etc. To be honest, this is usually only a problem for me during football season! If you full time, you can get a mobile contract with Direct TV and you will automatically get all the channels wherever you are.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Phil P commented that with Directv he can get his actual hometown locals (I assume that means the hometown ABC, CBS, NBC, etc stations) anywhere in the US. That is the first time I have heard of that. And very interesting. Surprising that they would provide hometown channels on individual basis anywhere in the US. A neat feature if you really preferred hometown rather than nearest city.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

In 2010 we traveled the states west of the Mississippi all but North Dakota. We were gone during the hurricane season.

Because I still had business and property including aircraft etc. in Florida I needed to keep track of the local news events. I was interested in being able to see the news from Chanel 12 in West Palm Beach every morning and evening. DirecTV provided my West Palm Beach channel 12 in all the states I traveled in. By making a call to them and telling them where I was and within 15 minutes I had my entire local stations that was located in Florida.

Dish will not provide this service.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

Rich, when you get out of your spot beam, you lose the non-cable channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC. When you call to get Direct TV (or Dish I presume) to change your equipment location, you will get ABC, CBS, and NBC from the nearest big city, not your home town, so you do get local weather, sports, news etc. To be honest, this is usually only a problem for me during football season! If you full time, you can get a mobile contract with Direct TV and you will automatically get all the channels wherever you are.
You are correct.We have Directv.In our case directv seems to think Tampa is the closer city although Orlando is much closer.We sre long timers not full timers.Phil P is also correct.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #28
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
DirecTV at home. Dish in the RV because I can get HD with the X2 and turn it on and off. X2 is a bigger dish than the X1 and G2+ so it does better in the rain. Also picks up two satellites.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #29
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
While we are new Montana owners - we are also recent "cable cutters." We do need an internet connection, as we have an AppleTV with a Netflix account, and a Roku with an AmazonPrime account. We plan to use a digital antenna for local TV broadcasts (the internet will allow us to keep track of news/events from our hometown via their live streaming website).

Anyone have any ideas/information regarding a "pay as you go" internet only option?
BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #30
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
There is little difference between Dish and DTV. DTV HD signals require a better satellite dish and most carryouts do not get DTV HD programming. You have to go with a pretty expensive DTV rooftop HD dish if you want HD. Both of them allow you to take a home receiver with you in your camper at no extra charge. A difference is Dish has a pay as you go contract for RV's while dish wants a normal contract. again if you have either ones home service take a home receiver with you.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote